The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Danielle's Avatar
Danielle Danielle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 549
Default Stevie in Q Magazine (March, 2017)

10 COMMANDMENTS: STEVIE NICKS - Q Magazine, March 2017
THE FLEETWOOD MAC SINGER DELIVERS HER GOLDEN RULES FOR LIVING.

1 MAKE LIKE A BOY OR GIRL SCOUT: BE PREPARED

Iím scared, thatís what I am. Before shows, some people Ė me, Mick [Fleetwood, [ drummer], we get panic attacks. I have always been terribly nervous before shows. So I am so rehearsed and ready that I could be dead and stand up there and still sing the right words and do the right thing. Cocaine almost killed me. Itís better to just not do it. Eventually youíll have to stop so start saving your money for rehab now.

2 THE DRUGS DONíT WORK, THEY JUST MAKE IT WORSE

Touring with Fleetwood Mac in the í70s, cocaine was almost part of the daily routine. But when I talk about it now, I would never want the kids of today to think that Iím saying it was something good. Cos it really wasnít something good. It almost destroyed my life. It almost killed me, and almost killed a lot of people I know. So if anybody thinks itís safe now Ė itís not. Itís better to just not do it. Because you will eventually have to stop, so start saving your money for rehab now. Itís so expensive.

3 LYRICISTS! WATCH YOUR CUSS WORDS

Iíve been listening to The Weekndís records. I play them one after the other when Iím in my bathroom getting ready to go out, or just hanging out with myself. Heís brilliant. And his voice Ė he could have come straight out of 1975 Ė he could have been like Stevie Winwood. Heís over-talented. But if I were to meet him, I would probably say: ďYou say over and over again words that I would prefer you didnít say. I think theyíre unnecessary. However, even though I think a lot of your songs are super-dirty, I still really like íem! So Iíve given you a pass on that!Ē

4 SINGERS! WATCH YOUR SYLLABLES

I saw Adele at the Grammys [Adele had to restart a performance of George Michaelís Fastlove], and that song was a very hard song to sing for George Michael. Itís all about the syllables. I have a song on my 24 Karat Gold album, Mabel Normand, thatís exactly the same. Thatís the reason weíre not doing it onstage. Because if you take a breath, you get off the beat. Youíre one word too late, you can never get back on, and youíre dead in the water.

5 YOUíRE A ROCK STAR Ė THEREíS NO SUCH THING AS A SICKIE

Onstage is the one time you canít bemoan how you feel. Even if you have pneumonia, you have to say: ďIím leaving that in the dressing room and Iím walking out and Iím gonna be great. And when I come offstage, then I can burst into tears.Ē

6 WRITING TIMELESS POP OR EPIC FANTASY Ė EACH IS AS HARD AS THE OTHER

I love Game Of Thrones. [Author Author] George RR Martin is my age [68 ] and it blows my mind that heís able to create this vast, interlinked world. As a songwriter I write little movies, but I canít imagine writing even one small book. But then, probably, somebody like him would say, ďI couldnít imagine writing Landslide.Ē

7 DONíT FEAR THE PRODUCER

In the 24 Karat Gold show, Iím singing songs that are new old songs Ė the ones that should have gone on [Fleetwood Macís] Tusk and Tango In The Night, and on [solo albums] Bella Donna, The Wild Heart and Rock A Little. And they didnít: not because they werenít good enough, but because I didnít like how they were done at the time. I didnít like the producersí concept, whether it was Lindsey [Buckingham, Fleetwood Mac bandmate] or Jimmy Iovine. So I pulled them. So the way the songs are recorded on 24 Karat Gold is exactly how they were done as demos.

8 LEARN FROM THE GREATS. AND TAKE FROM THE GREATS

I give Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and [Jefferson Airplane singer] Grace Slick the three nods. From Grace I got her slinky-ness. Janis was just little with a big attitude and big hair and feathers, and a drop-dead amazing voice. And Jimi was completely and utterly humble. So from those three people I got slinky, attitude and humility Ė and that was my stage performance.

9 RESPECT OTHER ARTISTS, WHEREVER THEY ARE ON THE BILL

Chrissie Hynde and I have been touring America together. Sheís just fantastic. A lot of the people in her group say they havenít seen her that happy in 30 years. And I love that so much. Because I never wanted Chrissie to feel like she was opening for me. I wanted her to feel that it was a complete and utter double bill. But because the tour was my idea, I got to go on last, basically.

10 BE AN EASY WRITER, AND AN EASY ROCKER

Iíve always loved Tom Petty, from Refugee to Breakdown, all thosesongs. Tomís an easy writer Ė very unlike Lindsey, more like myself. When Tom goes up there onstage, he might as well be in his studio or his living room with the stereo banging.

Stevie Nicks plays BST Hyde Park on 9 July. Tickets are available now.
__________________


Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-17-2017, 11:59 AM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 3,954
Default

Than that's why she doesn't do Mabel Normand...
I love how Stevie and Chrissie Hynde talk about each other.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:03 PM
sorcerer999's Avatar
sorcerer999 sorcerer999 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
"...and Jimi was completely and utterly humble. So from those three people I got slinky, attitude and humility Ė and that was my stage performance."


I love her so much, but COME ON!!! Truly humble people don't tell the world they are humble. They let other people come to that conclusion.

In my opinion, the "newfound popularity" she received after 1997's "The Dance" took away the last shred of humility she had about herself and her career. I miss that quiet, shy, insecure, soft spoken girl from "Bella Donna" even up to the "Street Angel" promotional interviews.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 PM
Danielle's Avatar
Danielle Danielle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 549
Default



__________________


Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:13 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 3,954
Default

Interesting, what is the "Q's guide to Fleetwood Mac" mentioned at the right bottom?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Danielle's Avatar
Danielle Danielle is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Brazil
Posts: 549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Interesting, what is the "Q's guide to Fleetwood Mac" mentioned at the right bottom?

__________________


Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:20 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 284
Default

lol i just can't @ how she likes game of thrones. and twilight.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 3,954
Default

Thanks Danielle, you're a treasure.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-2017, 01:31 PM
jkmaletic's Avatar
jkmaletic jkmaletic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
lol i just can't @ how she likes game of thrones. and twilight.
Why not ? They're great fantasy stories, especially Game of Thrones. Twilight is very much like Beauty and the Beast, as far as the main storyline goes.

Jamie
__________________

Last edited by jkmaletic : 03-17-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-17-2017, 01:34 PM
jkmaletic's Avatar
jkmaletic jkmaletic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,822
Default

I disagree with George Michael's Fastlove being like Mabel Normand though. I'm betting that Stevie is unfamiliar with George's version as it's pretty much a regular pop song. Adele just slowed it down dramatically when she did it as a tribute.

Jamie
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-17-2017, 03:10 PM
dreamsunwind dreamsunwind is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
Why not ? They're great fantasy stories, especially Game of Thrones. Twilight is very much like Beauty and the Beast, as far as the main storyline goes.

Jamie
I just don't like Game of Thrones in general, too much gratuitous sexual violence. I can get why she likes Twilight though, the whole mythical toxic relationship thing is right up her alley but it's like horrible writing lol.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-17-2017, 04:01 PM
Feather Blade Feather Blade is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 139
Default

Somehow I doubt George R.R. Martin is worried about not being able to write a Landslide. On the other hand, he's eternally frustrating to fans in that instead of finishing the last two books in the Song of Ice and Fire; he devotes so much time to blogging about politics and football, pushing the latest event at his art house theater and his gallery and attending every Con and awards ceremony that comes down the pipe, so it would be par for the course if he was distracting himself by trying desperately to write a song worthy of Stevie Nick's talents.

Last edited by Feather Blade : 03-17-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-2017, 04:39 PM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 3,954
Default

Personally I find Twilight much more disturbing and unhealthy than Game of Thrones.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-17-2017, 07:28 PM
Phil's Avatar
Phil Phil is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 779
Default

Quote:
Originally post by sorcerer999
I love her so much, but COME ON!!! Truly humble people don't tell the world they are humble. They let other people come to that conclusion.

In my opinion, the "newfound popularity" she received after 1997's "The Dance" took away the last shred of humility she had about herself and her career. I miss that quiet, shy, insecure, soft spoken girl from "Bella Donna" even up to the "Street Angel" promotional interviews.
Couldn't agree more, except that I no longer love her - I used to but not anymore. I don't even recognise the person she has become.

A friend who used to follow Stevie and the Mac back in their heyday recently came across some of her interviews and sincerely asked me "what happened to her?" They were genuinely shocked at her arrogance and opinionated ways.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 PM
olive olive is offline
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Global
Posts: 2,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Couldn't agree more, except that I no longer love her - I used to but not anymore. I don't even recognise the person she has become.

A friend who used to follow Stevie and the Mac back in their heyday recently came across some of her interviews and sincerely asked me "what happened to her?" They were genuinely shocked at her arrogance and opinionated ways.
I too am disenchanted by who she has become .
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved