The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-27-2017, 05:23 AM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 1,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
It has been said many times its about song LENGTH. End of thread.
Not always true. Stevie had one of the shortest songs on Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Mirage and some of the shortest songs on Tango.
When I see you again 3:52
Welcome to the Room Sara 3:45
Seven Wonders 3:45

Stevie can be wordy and she can deliver long demos. However she is not a musician and cannot make her songs long musically like in Gypsy. The amazing long guitar ending on Gypsy was done by Lindsey and it sounds great.

You may be entitled to your own opinion but not entitled to your own facts

IMHO I don't think Stevie saved her best songs for her solo career especially for Mirage. Most of Bella Donna was written 7 years before the album came out. For Mirage she offered up some of her best work from classic demos: Smile At You, Gypsy, That's Alright (from Buckingham/Nicks), and something more current but beautifully written... Straight Back. I think Straight Back is one of her best written songs. It just seems after Wild Heart during the drug haze her songs were not as good. I don't care for her songs on Tango but they are much better than anything on RAL IMHO.
__________________
Let's go Buck/McVie

Last edited by Macfan4life : 02-27-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM
singertobe singertobe is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Sara: 6.22
Storms: 5.31
Sisters of the Moon: 4.42
Angel: 4.54
Beautiful Child: 5.21
Total: 26.50 (5 songs)

Christine songs on Tusk: 20.18 (6 songs)
Lindsey songs on Tusk: 26.54 (9 songs)

I stand corrected on a previous post I made suggesting Stevie had the longest song time on Tusk. In fact Lindsey's songs totaled longer than hers by 4 seconds.
Dang! They feel so short though!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-27-2017, 08:58 AM
SisterNightroad's Avatar
SisterNightroad SisterNightroad is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Italy
Posts: 4,516
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
IMHO I don't think Stevie saved her best songs for her solo career especially for Mirage. Most of Bella Donna was written 7 years before the album came out. For Mirage she offered up some of her best work from classic demos: Smile At You, Gypsy, That's Alright (from Buckingham/Nicks), and something more current but beautifully written... Straight Back. I think Straight Back is one of her best written songs.
Agree, and don't forget If You Were My Love, I think the FM Demo is the best version of this song.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-27-2017, 12:11 PM
stevierocks87's Avatar
stevierocks87 stevierocks87 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 482
Default

I've often pondered this question myself- especially on Mirage like others have said, when her voice is just GOLD and she brought so much great material to the table. I understand why her contributions were limited on Tango.

A related question I've been wrestling with with all the now officially released demos and outtakes- WHY were so many of Stevie's INCREDIBLE backing vocals taken off? Especially on Rumours- You Make Lovin' Fun and Oh Daddy. Her harmony on Oh Daddy especially is just perfect, and I love her on "Lovin".

The new version of I Know I'm Not Wrong with Stevie is by far my favorite version. It's rough but could have been cleaned up to still include some backup. Same with Book of Love- she sounds so great on that track!
__________________
"and the woman may be awestruck and the woman may truely care, but the woman is so tired...so the woman disappears...come in out of the darkness, bella donna....my soul"- Stevie Nicks, "Bella Donna"
---In memory of my mom, Donna Jean (Jeannie) Allen Commins, 1957-2008- My Bella Donna.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-27-2017, 02:26 PM
24karatstevie's Avatar
24karatstevie 24karatstevie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevierocks87 View Post
I've often pondered this question myself- especially on Mirage like others have said, when her voice is just GOLD and she brought so much great material to the table. I understand why her contributions were limited on Tango.

A related question I've been wrestling with with all the now officially released demos and outtakes- WHY were so many of Stevie's INCREDIBLE backing vocals taken off? Especially on Rumours- You Make Lovin' Fun and Oh Daddy. Her harmony on Oh Daddy especially is just perfect, and I love her on "Lovin".

The new version of I Know I'm Not Wrong with Stevie is by far my favorite version. It's rough but could have been cleaned up to still include some backup. Same with Book of Love- she sounds so great on that track!
I agree, Stevie's background vocals are some of my favorite of all her vocals. She does harmony so well. It really is a shame that so many never made it to the final versions. Hold Me is one of my all time favorite FM songs as is, but when I heard the early version with Stevie singing with Chris, I loved it even more!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-27-2017, 02:28 PM
secondhandchain secondhandchain is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 839
Default

[quote=Macfan4life;1202072]Not always true. Stevie had one of the shortest songs on Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Mirage and some of the shortest songs on Tango.
When I see you again 3:52
Welcome to the Room Sara 3:45
Seven Wonders 3:45

Stevie can be wordy and she can deliver long demos. However she is not a musician and cannot make her songs long musically like in Gypsy. The amazing long guitar ending on Gypsy was done by Lindsey and it sounds great.

You may be entitled to your own opinion but not entitled to your own facts
Well she wasn't there for Tango so didn't derserve it. I think after Mirage things changed because she wasn't as involved. So is her running time on Mirage MUCH shorter then the others?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-27-2017, 02:53 PM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
So is her running time on Mirage MUCH shorter then the others?
Are people really so incapable of looking things up?
Stevie's songs on Mirage were the equivalent of one whole song less than Chris and Lindsey;

Stevie: 11.50
Christine: 15.51
Lindsey: 15.14
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-27-2017, 03:39 PM
bombaysaffires bombaysaffires is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Are people really so incapable of looking things up?
Stevie's songs on Mirage were the equivalent of one whole song less than Chris and Lindsey;

Stevie: 11.50
Christine: 15.51
Lindsey: 15.14
yeah but she had at least one whole song LESS than they did, so of course her time would reflect this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-27-2017, 04:21 PM
FuzzyPlum FuzzyPlum is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
yeah but she had at least one whole song LESS than they did, so of course her time would reflect this.
yeah but the point is, on previous albums she had less songs but roughly the equivalent time. On Mirage she's hard done by as she has less songs but also less time.
Are her Mirage songs longer? yes and no. Two are relatively long compared to most songs on the album but one is fairly average length. The long ones aren't the longest though... WYWH is the longest overall. In general her Mirage songs are much shorter than Tusk. I guess as they knew Tusk was going to be a double album they didn't need to push her as much to cut them down.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Macfan4life's Avatar
Macfan4life Macfan4life is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Somewhere out in the back of your mind
Posts: 1,715
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Agree, and don't forget If You Were My Love, I think the FM Demo is the best version of this song.
Stevie as well as the rest of the band were at the apex of their career in 1981-1982. Stevie had a huge catalog of brilliant songs. Bella Donna is a masterpiece. Stevie's songs on Mirage are top notch. I wish the angry version of Smile at You made it to Mirage and Oh Diane was dropped. It would have given Mirage more depth for sure. This is just my opinion but Lindsey was definitely not going to give Stevie anymore songs than 3 on Mirage. While recording the album, Bella Donna was still cranking out singles and high on the charts. I see him grabbing the wheel to make sure the new album was not going to be Bella Donna 2 or make Stevie even a bigger star. I don't see Stevie protesting because she just had the biggest moment in her life as a recording artist.
__________________
Let's go Buck/McVie
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-27-2017, 05:16 PM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 752
Default

Macfan, your reasoning makes a lot of sense. And I think Mirage would have been a stronger album if they had cut Oh Diane and put in Stevie's song in it's place.

Last edited by bwboy : 02-27-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-27-2017, 08:34 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Macfan, your reasoning makes a lot of sense. And I think Mirage would have been a stronger album if they had cut Oh Diane and put in Sfevie's song in it's place.
Or removed Empire State. Or both songs!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-28-2017, 01:46 AM
secondhandchain secondhandchain is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA
Posts: 839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Stevie as well as the rest of the band were at the apex of their career in 1981-1982. Stevie had a huge catalog of brilliant songs. Bella Donna is a masterpiece. Stevie's songs on Mirage are top notch. I wish the angry version of Smile at You made it to Mirage and Oh Diane was dropped. It would have given Mirage more depth for sure. This is just my opinion but Lindsey was definitely not going to give Stevie anymore songs than 3 on Mirage. While recording the album, Bella Donna was still cranking out singles and high on the charts. I see him grabbing the wheel to make sure the new album was not going to be Bella Donna 2 or make Stevie even a bigger star. I don't see Stevie protesting because she just had the biggest moment in her life as a recording artist.
I do agree that Oh diane could have been dropped. ugh.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-28-2017, 08:57 AM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Or removed Empire State. Or both songs!
Very true. Oh Diane is repetitious and Empire State is just... there. Even Goodbye Angel is more interesting than those two.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 02-28-2017, 07:53 PM
SteveMacD's Avatar
SteveMacD SteveMacD is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Buckeye State
Posts: 5,311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Macfan, your reasoning makes a lot of sense. And I think Mirage would have been a stronger album if they had cut Oh Diane and put in Stevie's song in it's place.
Except it was a minor hit in Europe.
__________________
On and on it will always be, the rhythm, rhyme, and harmony.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b313/SteveMacD/fm2014_zps5c60d7b9.jpg
Stephen Hopkins

https://www.facebook.com/Espy.Hopkins ; @espyhop)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo
$20.0
1997 Pretty Blond Singer Bekka Bramlett With Billy Burnette Press Photo picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved