The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Watched a Robert Kelly standup on Netflix a few nights ago. Good stuff!
Old 01-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

These two were a waste of my time...

THE BFG (2016)

and

Pete's Dragon (2016)

I can sit through most movies but the BFG I fast forwarded
through probably half of it. And Pete's Dragon was so bad
that I stopped watching it.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Standoff with Lawrence Fishburn is a new-ish action thriller on Netflix right now. It's good!
Old 01-14-2017, 05:17 PM

Just watched Silence by Scorsese. I expected much more. Also at some points I couldn't wait for it to end.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Just watched Silence by Scorsese. I expected much more. Also at some points I couldn't wait for it to end.
I want to see that.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I want to see that.
Oh it wasn't a bad movie. It's just that if you're expecting something like his previous efforts you'll likely end up confused. There were a couple of scenes in which the special effects in my opinion were unintentionally humorous and ruined a bit the dramatic effect. Some indigenous characters in particular were grotesque, and although it was surely sought after, it somehow stood like a sore thumb among the generally dark atmosphere of the movie. Also I feel the hystorical setting wasn't totally proper and the clash of the cultures and the inner general conflict of the protagonists weren't fully rendered. Basically it made me want to read the novel.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 01-16-2017 at 09:38 AM..
Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
During this holidays I've watched:

1) Brave
First Disney movie. I liked it, I liked the ancient scottish setting and the lack of the classic prince-princess Disney romance. I appreciated that it was centered around familial love and in particular the mother-daughter relationship. Also I really loved the jokes and gags that concerned men and their kilts. And the bears.

2) Rapunzel
Second Disney movie. I actually liked it a little less than the previous one even if it is generally considered superior. I have to say that the horse was one of the best and funniest Disney characters I've ever seen.

3) The Nightmare Before Christmas
Third Disney movie and also my traditional family Christmas watch. Obviously I love it and almost everyone has seen it, but I'm still amazed by how well this movie has aged, it doesn't seem to have almost the same age as me.

4) Bridge of Spies
I couldn't watch it from the start because of an error of my dear old father, but I could see that it was truly a beautiful movie. Tom Hanks did an amazing job in this role but from what I've seen the movie depended all from him and his character. I expected more from the historical description of the setting, but maybe it's because I only saw the second half.

5) Wreck-it Ralph
Fourth and last Disney movie, at least for now. Not bad but during the first part it wasn't remarkable and it didn't become truly consistently funny and engaging until the second half, when he entered the "Sugar Rush" game. However the heart-warming and not so predictable end redeemed the first part of the movie.
To end the parabola of the movies I've watched during the holidays:

6) The Aristocats
This movie is still funny but I hadn't realize until now that I've watched it from a grown-up point of view how much it's dated. The backgrounds, the designs and the effects are so lackluster. However the music and voice acting are totally amazing to this day.

7) Aladdin
This one instead aged much better, although probably in part it's because it's much newer. However the Genie is one of the most fantastic characters I've ever seen.

8) The princess and the frog
This I'd already seen it when it first came out in theatres but I still enjoyed it. I like that it actually featured cultural references to the time and place in which it's settled, New Orleans in the roaring 20s, the jazzy songs are cute and the voodoo man is a very good villain.

Basically during Holidays we want to watch cartoons.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 01-16-2017 at 08:21 AM..
Old 03-08-2017, 03:40 PM

These last two weeks I've seen T2 Trainspotting, who is in my opinion an unnecessary sequel, and Hidden Figures that instead is a very good movie.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:06 AM

Yesterday I've watched The Theory of Everything in honor of Stephen Hawking's death and I cried like a baby.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

These are the 2018 movies I've seen so far this year:

Great-ish
Loveless (Andrey Zvyagintsevd) - Overwhelmingly emotional; a devastating ending; the most moving child performance since... . Probably the best movie of the year so far; I went in knowing nothing about it and it constantly surprised and astounded.

Double Lover (Francois Ozon) - Super hot and dreamy direction; gets deep into intimacy but in a wiiilld thriller format; stars my movie girlfriend Marine Vacth.

Jeannette — The Childhood of Joan of Arc (Bruno Dumont) - A French rock-metal musical version of Joan of Arc, amazingly profound.

Waiting for the Barbarians
(Eugene Green) - More French esoterica, but really lovely call to turn back the barbarians within.

Near-Great-ish
15:17 to Paris (Clint Eastwood) - Clint is on a roll, mixing docurealism with patriotic emotion and suspense.

Mom & Dad (Brian Taylor) - The most jaw-dropping American movie of the year so far; Seriously, RENT IT ON ITUNES RIGHT NOW YOU WILL THANK ME EVEN AS YOU DON'T BELIEVE WHAT YOU ARE SEEING (it's fun!)

Death Wish (Eli Roth) - The movie-political coup of the year; really b*llsy and strikingly made.

Good-ish
The Commuter (Jaume Collet-Serra) - Lives up to its title: a thrill-ride with Liam Neeson.

Tombstone Rashomon (Alex Cox) - Not my favorite Cox film, but he's an OK Corral geek and it shows, and this mockumentary, like an inverse of Eastwood's film, deals with complex ideas about history and legend and American myth.

Okay-ish
Souvenir (Bavo Defurne) - Gay filmmaker tells straight love story about a fictional gay diva icon, which should have starred Isabelle Adjani instead of Huppert.

Hurricane Heist (Rob Cohen) - Fun, with a likable cast, but not as expert as Twister ("in the arms of a storm!") or as magnificent as the definitive Into the Storm.

Bad
The Party (Sally Potter) - A really twisted, nihilistic post-election party that should have been more fun than it turned out (especially from my beloved Potter of Orlando and Ginger & Rosa and Rage fame).

Pathetic
Please Stand By (Ben Lewin) - I used to think Dakota Fanning was a good actress. Wha' happen'?

Braven (Lin Oeding) - Stupid, but the ending kill-the-bad-guy move was pretty cool actually.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 03-16-2018 at 02:20 PM..
Old 03-22-2018, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Murder On The Orient Express
Didn't know Hercule Poirot was a super hero.
Needless to say, I didn't enjoy the movie.

Lady Bird (Saoirse Ronan)
A little boring. I wish Ronan would get better
roles to play. I do think she's better than this
movie.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:06 PM

Just saw Mr. Holmes, I appreciated its elegant depiction of themes like aging, illness, regret and generational confrontation.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Shape Of Water
Or should it be called the creature from the black lagoon?
I thought I might like it better since this was directed by
Guillermo del Toro. Just wasn't what I expected.

Thought I'd be able to show my nephews (aged 12 and 9),
but nope!
Old 04-10-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
The Shape Of Water
Or should it be called the creature from the black lagoon?
I thought I might like it better since this was directed by
Guillermo del Toro. Just wasn't what I expected.

Thought I'd be able to show my nephews (aged 12 and 9),
but nope!
How could you ever think you could show to your children nephews a movie by Guillermo del Toro?
Old 04-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Manchester by the Sea a couple of days ago. Very good. Emotional.
Mona Lisa Smile yesterday. Meh.
Took my daughter to see Peter Rabbit at the cinema today. Ahhhhh- lovely film. I thoroughly recommend.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood