The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My unpopular (in the sense of not widespread, right?) opinion about Stevie is that those old, fun performances weren't fueled by drugs but by a daring, expansive personality that enjoyed the sensation of being coddled & ogled.

My other unpopular opinion is that Stevie isn't intelligent & isn't a good poet -- actually isn't a poet at all. (But she's a nice, nice lady who makes you want to hug her to your bosom.)

I love this thread where you can state your unpopular opinion!!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
My other unpopular opinion is that Stevie isn't intelligent & isn't a good poet --

I think maybe I'd say that she's "Emotionally Intelligent" ( in the sense that she's able to understand certain feelings and write great songs about them that people can relate to. ) Many psychologists these days consider "Emotional Intelligence" to be a very real, measurable thing. But that leads me to another Unpopular Opinion, and I hope this isn't something she would consider private, but Mr. Nicks actually hinted at this in several interviews and it's my opinion that Stevie has said it "in between her lines," as well:

Stevie has a learning disorder.

Not sure what it is, but I think it's probably related to how she processes language or speech. It affects how she thinks and how she perceives the world. A perfect example of that is how she had difficulty saying "Stevie" when she was young and said "Tee-Dee" instead. Granted many children may have similar "problems," but it's been hinted, I believe, that this was bigger than that.

Look, also, at the fact that she's been around music all her life, and it's her primary interest (professionally, etc.), and yet she doesn't know how to read sheet music.

I think maybe this is one thing - of many - that Mr. Nicks was referring to when he once mentioned in an interview how proud he was of her for overcoming "so many obstacles." This wasn't an easy, stellar road with straight-A's all the way for her - she had some challenges to overcome, and did so with a lot of encouragement and determination.

And if you notice though, I'm not saying that she's not a genius - it's perfectly possible to be a genius and have a learning disorder at the same time. Einstein failed geometry in high school, for example. And I also consider her to be very wise, which of course is a separate thing.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
My other unpopular opinion is that Stevie isn't intelligent
Not intelligent in what way? I can't see her working in NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab, but she certainly doesn't strike me as dumb or even average. Her interviews always leave me feeling that she's a pretty savvy woman (which may be an unpopular opinion in and of itself). Compared to 80% of the famous people out there today, I think she's a genius.

For other unpopular opinions, I also liked the SYW black sweater, love "That Made Me Stronger," think TISL is an almost-perfect album, and I don't want her to grow her bangs out.

Last edited by Mokona; 03-02-2006 at 09:56 PM..
Old 03-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Kick It is an awesome song.

She's Fleetwood Mac's baby egg/sister because she wants to be.

She's a better singer than she is a songwriter.

She has no self control.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sometimes I think she just writes whatever comes to mind, not bothering to check whether it makes sense or not. I know she's known for her songwriting, but sometimes *she* doesn't even know what she wrote about. For example, with Gold Dust Woman... first she said it was about groupie-type ladies, then admitted it was about drugs and stuck with that for awhile. But then in that interview (I think) with Courtney Love, she said that it couldn't possibly have been all about drugs, and that she would have to go through her journals to find out what it was about.

???

I just find it odd that she should not know what she wrote and sang with so much passion.

Same goes for confusing tenses (the bright light is lying down / earth and the sea and the sky / is at rest with the ocean...) and the like. Then again, she might have recognized the mistakes, but left them in either a) out of stubbornness or, b) for the sake of making it work musically. Christine's confused tenses in songs (You Make Loving Fun, for example: It would be different and you know it will be), but that doesn't necessarily mean she can't process language.

Last edited by goldustsongbird; 03-02-2006 at 10:26 PM..
Old 03-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird
Same goes for confusing tenses (the bright light is lying down / earth and the sea and the sky / is at rest with the ocean...) and the like.
Believe it or not, she's right, there, at least I think so. It's considered to be correct grammar to consider separate things as one singular entity, and in that case it's incorrect to use "are," and correct to use "is." Don't believe everything they tell you or told you in English class, they don't necessarily know all the sophisticated details of writing. Bottom line is, it SOUNDS better, at least in my opinion.

But - yeah, overall I agree with what you're saying. I think partly it comes from moving around so much during school, partly from not exactly having a "grammarian" looking over her shoulder all the time ( "That's just the POET that I AM" as she said! ) - and also, see my post above.

I think Buckingham would probably say something like, "WELL . . . she's not always . . . very PRECISE in her writing - - - but she's a HELL of an instinctive POET!"
Old 03-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sometimes I think she just writes whatever comes to mind, not bothering to check whether it makes sense or not. I know she's known for her songwriting, but sometimes *she* doesn't even know what she wrote about. For example, with Gold Dust Woman... first she said it was about groupie-type ladies, then admitted it was about drugs and stuck with that for awhile. But then in that interview (I think) with Courtney Love, she said that it couldn't possibly have been all about drugs, and that she would have to go through her journals to find out what it was about.

???

I just find it odd that she should not know what she wrote and sang with so much passion.

Same goes for confusing tenses (the bright light is lying down / earth and the sea and the sky / is at rest with the ocean...) and the like.
props! grammar karma for you :P

my unpopular stevie opinion is that she is not a survivor and she's not a victim of modern psychiatry.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
Believe it or not, she's right, there, at least I think so. It's considered to be correct grammar to consider separate things as one singular entity, and in that case it's incorrect to use "are," and correct to use "is." Don't believe everything they tell you or told you in English class, they don't necessarily know all the sophisticated details of writing. Bottom line is, it SOUNDS better, at least in my opinion.

But - yeah, overall I agree with what you're saying. I think partly it comes from moving around so much during school, partly from not exactly having a "grammarian" looking over her shoulder all the time ( "That's just the POET that I AM" as she said! ) - and also, see my post above.

I think Buckingham would probably say something like, "WELL . . . she's not always . . . very PRECISE in her writing - - - but she's a HELL of an instinctive POET!"
actually, when a string of nouns is connected by "and," the entire thing is considered plural, hence "are" should be used.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I just edited my post, and mentioned the whole 'sounding right' thing.

I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with believing everything I was told in English class. She's talking about more than one thing, therefore it would make sense to switch to the plural form. She doesn't.

Buckingham would say a lot of things. And he has.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

HMMM..

#1 Stevie loves to perpetuate her own myths as much as her fans do!

#2 Stevie has a real fear of intimacy and has used her Rock N Roll Lifestyle monologues as an excuse to not deal with that.

#3 Stevie loves to hear herself talk.

#4 A bit of a Drama Queen.

#5 I wanted to throw myself out a window when I heard "When I See You Again"..I was secretly horrified by her vocals on Tango.

#6 Her vocals on Cry Wolf & Docklands make me cringe.

#7 My favorite era is anything Pre Rock A Little.

#8 Her best vocals lately were I Miss You..It's Only Love on TISL.

#9 Illume is here best work with FM in years!

#10 Her long stringy hair is unflattering! Best Hair is 79-83!

#11 She has a major fear of failure!

#12 If I hear her say "we had NO IDEA drugs were dangerous back then"...one more time..I AM GOING TO SCREAM!!! LOL!!!

#13 The Reeboks are just silly and need to go!

#14 Rupert Hine was the love of her life.

#15 Mick was really about the sex.

#16 Is afraid to do another solo project as her sales have dropped with every release. She equates that as failure.

#17 Lindsey loved her more than she ever loved him.

#18 Stevie is really at peace with her father's passing.

#19 I liked BEHIND THE MASK!

#20 I prefer original Silver Springs.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie has a learning disorder.
When I first read this I giggled but now that I think about it you may be on to something. I wonder if she does? Keep in mind having a learning disorder does not mean a person is not intelligent, it's possible they just process information differently. Of course a person with a learning disorder could also be not very intelligent, I'm just saying one doesn't equal the other.

Last edited by SapphireSister; 03-02-2006 at 11:01 PM..
Old 03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: bouncing off the wall at you. being defined by the applause.

Quote:
HMMMmmm - UH-oh! Well - at the risk of being slammed - and I'm just being completely honest -

1.) I think she was a little silly for putting "That Made Me Stronger" on "Trouble in Shangri-la."

2.) I think she sometimes misperceives how hard she works, compared to the "average person." But I feel she's VERY clear on how rough most people's lives are.

3.) I think things sometimes seem much bigger to her than they really are.

4.) I don't think she would ever, ever, ever want to get back together with
Lindsey. Not in a million years.

5.) I think she's still in love with Mick, always has been, and always will be.

6.) I think she didn't actually like Prince all that much.

7.) Not like I think she's Einstein or something, but I think that in interviews she often hides how intelligent and practical she is, although I think she's been a little better about that lately.

8.) I think she's currently doing an unbelievably intense media blitz in Australia with the sole purpose of subtley re-defining her image, headed up by Liz Rosenberg, who by the way was or is Madonna's publicist as well.
She's a total "Top Gun," doesn't come cheap, and I think there's HUGE amounts of effort and thought that are going into this behind-the-scenes.

9.) I think that, although she may still feel somewhat sad, she's having an absolute blast in Australia and absolutely loves it there. And so, along those lines -

10.) I think she's VERY seriously considering moving to Australia. Not necessarily as a primary residence - I guess she considers Phoenix to be home - but I betcha she's been looking at some real estate ads.

11.) I think she still smokes, but is trying not to and doesn't want others to follow her example.

12.) I think that when she's not touring or doing business-related things, when she's at home watching tv or reading or something, she TOTALLY forgets she's a "big rock star" and just kinda chills, no mysticism, no "etherealness," no chiffon, no nuthin' - just this nice lady watching star trek or reading a book or whatever.

13.) Believe it or not, I think maybe she knows how to use a vacuum cleaner and boil water...

14.) Not necessarily an "unpopular" one but - I think she knows how to ski and enjoys it, or at least used to.

15.) I think sometimes she'd much rather be riding a horse or hanging out on a boat than singing "Stand Back" for the ten billionth time in concert. And I think she's so sick of performing "Gold Dust Woman" that she's about to spit.

16.) I think when photographers aren't around, her house is a mess, always has been, always will be.

17.) I think she isn't as careful as she should be about "borrowing" certain things from her influences ( Oscar Wilde, the guitarist of The Police/Edge of Seventeen riff, etc. ) She doesn't know where the line is and she's VERY lucky that she hasn't been sued, and if she had been it would have made her a BETTER songwriter and a BETTER person.

18.) I think she lies through her teeth about what Edge of Seventeen is actually about, and will never, never, never admit what it's really about. And she thinks it isn't obvious to most people over the age of 12. ( Granted it was first written about John Lennon and her uncle and I know that meant a lot to her, but have you SEEN the HBO Special? Please. )

Welp - you asked!

Excuse me, I'm going to go hide now.
What is your theory on Edge of 17??? Do tell....
Old 03-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm. I agree with the person that said that Stevie tends to "borrow" a little more from other musicians than she may be aware or let on. Especially Illume. That is a complete and blatant rip off of "New York" by Richard Ashcroft. I mean, IDENTICAL. I had a friend who pointed it out and played it for me and my heart just sank...oh Stevie.

Also I think she's pretty self indulgent, particularly with the importance of her writing. Didja catch all that "I didn't sleep, but I wrote 4 songs" on the DR doc? She only mentioned it, like 1000 times! I find that more humourous than anything though.

I used to be Snow White but I drifted - Mae West.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
18.) I think she lies through her teeth about what Edge of Seventeen is actually about, and will never, never, never admit what it's really about. And she thinks it isn't obvious to most people over the age of 12. ( Granted it was first written about John Lennon and her uncle and I know that meant a lot to her, but have you SEEN the HBO Special? Please. )
What, you think she pulled a She Bop a la Cyndi Lauper and made it about sex, and attempted to shroud its meaning in clever imagery?
Old 03-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Same goes for confusing tenses (the bright light is lying down / earth and the sea and the sky / is at rest with the ocean...)
Actually ladies and gents, Ghost_Tracker IS correct in saying that Stevie was right, but has the wrong reason. You have to read these lines differently from how you are reading them. She is saying "the bright light is lying down the earth and the sea and the sky, [the bright light] is at rest with the ocean, and the days go by..." This way of reading it makes much more sense, too, because what sense does it make to say "the earth and the sea and sky are at rest with the ocean." She's talking about the sun setting, the "bright light," which "comes to rest with the ocean."