Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Giuliani 08

Giuliani Plans Return to Politics

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

WASHINGTON — Rudolph Giuliani (search) plans to return to politics, he said Wednesday, but argued it's too early to say if that will be for the 2008 presidential campaign.

"I think I'll return to politics," Giuliani said during a speech to business leaders.

Dubbed "America's Mayor," after his performance in leading New York City during the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, Giuliani has spent the years since working as a highly-paid corporate executive and public speaker.

The event, hosted by Visa USA, brought together business leaders, anti-fraud experts, and government officials to discuss credit card security — but the first question from audience members concerned his possible return to public office.

Asked if he had any "political visions," Giuliani laughed and rubbed his forehead.

"I have some political visions. I don't know what they are yet, they're a little foggy," he said.

Though he wasn't asked specifically about the next presidential campaign, Giuliani mentioned the 2008 race and said "it's too far away" to make a decision on running.

National polls regularly place Giuliani among the most popular Republican vote-getters, and he is asked about his plans at almost every public appearance. He usually deflects the question by suggesting he would not decide on 2008 until after the 2006 congressional elections.

During a visit to Denmark on Sunday, Giuliani said he would consider the presidential race "next year."

In the 2004 presidential campaign, the former mayor campaigned strenuously for President Bush's re-election.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171338,00.html

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Though he is hated in Manhattan for the Padillo (sp.?) tragedy and the "smeared feces is art" world also do not like him - he would win by a landslide as the D's have nothing to counter him.

Would he be good for America? I would say yes as he is a social liberal in that he lived with a gay couple when he was the Mayor of NYC and, if I am not mistaken, he marched in Gay Pride parades - two things most R's are loathe to do. Moreover, he is a fiscal conservative.

So, I think he would be okay but not great and certainly better than the filth we currently have.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 10-05-2005, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Giuliani Plans Return to Politics

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

WASHINGTON — Rudolph Giuliani (search) plans to return to politics, he said Wednesday, but argued it's too early to say if that will be for the 2008 presidential campaign.

"I think I'll return to politics," Giuliani said during a speech to business leaders.

Dubbed "America's Mayor," after his performance in leading New York City during the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks, Giuliani has spent the years since working as a highly-paid corporate executive and public speaker.

The event, hosted by Visa USA, brought together business leaders, anti-fraud experts, and government officials to discuss credit card security — but the first question from audience members concerned his possible return to public office.

Asked if he had any "political visions," Giuliani laughed and rubbed his forehead.

"I have some political visions. I don't know what they are yet, they're a little foggy," he said.

Though he wasn't asked specifically about the next presidential campaign, Giuliani mentioned the 2008 race and said "it's too far away" to make a decision on running.

National polls regularly place Giuliani among the most popular Republican vote-getters, and he is asked about his plans at almost every public appearance. He usually deflects the question by suggesting he would not decide on 2008 until after the 2006 congressional elections.

During a visit to Denmark on Sunday, Giuliani said he would consider the presidential race "next year."

In the 2004 presidential campaign, the former mayor campaigned strenuously for President Bush's re-election.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,171338,00.html

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Though he is hated in Manhattan for the Padillo (sp.?) tragedy and the "smeared feces is art" world also do not like him - he would win by a landslide as the D's have nothing to counter him.

Would he be good for America? I would say yes as he is a social liberal in that he lived with a gay couple when he was the Mayor of NYC and, if I am not mistaken, he marched in Gay Pride parades - two things most R's are loathe to do. Moreover, he is a fiscal conservative.

So, I think he would be okay but not great and certainly better than the filth we currently have.
I could live with him as well. Although I dont know what the hell the far right would do, assuming Hilary is the nominee for the Democrats. He might be the only Republican who can beat her, but they'd be in a quandry over his social policies.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation He should pick...

former Oklahoma Governor Frank Keating (The most popular Governor in Oklahoma history...Hell, Even the Democrats loved him more than their own candidates who were absolutely slaughtered in their losing election bids) as a running mate should he run for the presidency.

Brian "Missy Gail & Rufus Roughcut in 2008" j

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 10-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm...interesting. A Republican candidate I don't automatically think should be put to sleep. He isn't horrible. Wasn't there some scandal over his divorce ? Wasn't he cheating before the the marriage broke up ? That cold be a problem. Polititicians can steal billions of dollars and practically commit murder, but God Help Them if they make some sexually related error and have the misfortune of getting caught. Strand, you must know the gossip.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
former Oklahoma Governor Frank Keating (The most popular Governor in Oklahoma history...Hell, Even the Democrats loved him more than their own candidates who were absolutely slaughtered in their losing election bids) as a running mate should he run for the presidency.

Brian "Missy Gail & Rufus Roughcut in 2008" j
Is he a moderate? can I ask what are his policies?
Old 10-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky
Hmmm...interesting. A Republican candidate I don't automatically think should be put to sleep. He isn't horrible. Wasn't there some scandal over his divorce ? Wasn't he cheating before the the marriage broke up ? That cold be a problem. Polititicians can steal billions of dollars and practically commit murder, but God Help Them if they make some sexually related error and have the misfortune of getting caught. Strand, you must know the gossip.

New York Mayor Files For Divorce

NEW YORK, Dec. 20, 2000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(AP) New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani has filed papers to end his 16-year marriage to television personality Donna Hanover, according to the New York Daily News. In recent months, their marraige deteriorated into unfaithfulness and public feuding, and eventually helped derail Giuliani's U.S. Senate bid.

On Wednesday, the mayor declined to discuss the reported divorce, but did not deny the story.

"I have no comment," he said. "All that, I consider private and I'm not going to discuss it."

Giuliani's attorney, Raoul Felder, also declined comment, as did Hanover attorney Helene Brezinsky. Hanover spokeswoman Joannie Danielides also had no comment.

Divorce proceedings are confidential in New York. In Wednesday's editions, the Daily News reported that the divorce filing is listed as Anonymous vs. Anonymous in the court's database - a method employed by many celebrity couples.

The complaint was filed by Giuliani on Oct. 20, according to the newspaper.

Giuliani, Hanover and their attorneys met in the chambers of Acting State Supreme Court Justice Judith Gische on Monday afternoon, according to the Daily News.

Giuliani, 56, and Hanover, 50, have two children Andrew, 14, and Caroline, 11.

The reported divorce filing is the latest development in a relationship that the couple's confidants have said has been cold for years, but publicly unraveled this year.

In April, Giuliani told the press that 46-year-old divorcee Judith Nathan, whom he had been spotted squiring around town, was "a very good friend." Weeks later, he announced he was seeking a legal separation from Hanover.

Hanover responded by publicly accusing Giuliani of cheating on her with both Nathan and his former spokeswoman Cristyne Lategano-Nicholas.

Giuliani and Lategano-Nicholas have denied an affair.

The messy split, together with Giuliani's diagnosis of prostate cancer, forced the mayor to abandon his plans to run for the Senate. Rep. Rick Lazio received the Republican nomination instead and lost to Hillary Rodham Clinton in November.

www.cbsnews.com

As for Rudy G. - he is FAR from perfect - but he a vast improvement over Kerry or W IMO.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
New York Mayor Files For Divorce

NEW YORK, Dec. 20, 2000
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(AP) New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani has filed papers to end his 16-year marriage to television personality Donna Hanover, according to the New York Daily News. In recent months, their marraige deteriorated into unfaithfulness and public feuding, and eventually helped derail Giuliani's U.S. Senate bid.

On Wednesday, the mayor declined to discuss the reported divorce, but did not deny the story.

"I have no comment," he said. "All that, I consider private and I'm not going to discuss it."

Giuliani's attorney, Raoul Felder, also declined comment, as did Hanover attorney Helene Brezinsky. Hanover spokeswoman Joannie Danielides also had no comment.

Divorce proceedings are confidential in New York. In Wednesday's editions, the Daily News reported that the divorce filing is listed as Anonymous vs. Anonymous in the court's database - a method employed by many celebrity couples.

The complaint was filed by Giuliani on Oct. 20, according to the newspaper.

Giuliani, Hanover and their attorneys met in the chambers of Acting State Supreme Court Justice Judith Gische on Monday afternoon, according to the Daily News.

Giuliani, 56, and Hanover, 50, have two children Andrew, 14, and Caroline, 11.

The reported divorce filing is the latest development in a relationship that the couple's confidants have said has been cold for years, but publicly unraveled this year.

In April, Giuliani told the press that 46-year-old divorcee Judith Nathan, whom he had been spotted squiring around town, was "a very good friend." Weeks later, he announced he was seeking a legal separation from Hanover.

Hanover responded by publicly accusing Giuliani of cheating on her with both Nathan and his former spokeswoman Cristyne Lategano-Nicholas.

Giuliani and Lategano-Nicholas have denied an affair.

The messy split, together with Giuliani's diagnosis of prostate cancer, forced the mayor to abandon his plans to run for the Senate. Rep. Rick Lazio received the Republican nomination instead and lost to Hillary Rodham Clinton in November.

www.cbsnews.com

As for Rudy G. - he is FAR from perfect - but he a vast improvement over Kerry or W IMO.
John Kerry's biggest problem was that he could've put more people to sleep than Elevator music. C'MON Democrats, wouldnt you have come up with someone more charasmatic thatn that? That being said, he STill came pretty close to winning.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Say it ain't so. We'll need all the help we can get if he runs. I shudder at the thought.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I knew you'd have something. Good thing he kept his mouth shut about it, and his ex did to a degree. He isn't horrible, I'll give you that. Even with the affairs...he'll probably get away with that if he runs. I think it's a little more acceptable to do that if you are a republican.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I knew you'd have something. Good thing he kept his mouth shut about it, and his ex did to a degree. He isn't horrible, I'll give you that. Even with the affairs...he'll probably get away with that if he runs. I think it's a little more acceptable to do that if you are a republican.
Very good point.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's also easier to get away with marrying your cousin a la Giuliani if you're a Republican.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
Say it ain't so. We'll need all the help we can get if he runs. I shudder at the thought.
But, of the people who can run, who is better.

I personally like John Edwards and Wesley Clark - but cannot see them beating Rudy G. because outside of a minority in Manhattan, he is well liked by almost all Americans and he could have beaten W had he run in 04. That is a strong base.

Old 10-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, of the people who can run, who is better.

I personally like John Edwards and Wesley Clark - but cannot see them beating Rudy G. because outside of a minority in Manhattan, he is well liked by almost all Americans and he could have beaten W had he run in 04. That is a strong base.
Why is he not well like by that small group? Dont mean to sound ignorant, just curious.
Addicted Ledgie

I do like Giuliani, he just needs to get on board with most other republicans about abortion...however I think he would make a great leader.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
People mostly do not like him because they feel he sacrificed the homeless in Times Sq. and other places in NYC to get the tourism back up - crime fell drastically (though many argue Rudy G. had nothing to do with that and it just happened sua sponte). He also cut AIDS funding, but it is unclear if that was necessitated by budget contraints as opposed to ill will to the gay communty and Federal Programs allegedly picked up much of that slack - though many went through hell to be sure.

Again, he is no agngel, but there are far worse a la Frist, Lott, Delay, etc.