User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepBlueDee View Post
I agree that the mocking was uncool. No question.
I disagree that this is sexism. You don't believe if that were Mick up there, carrying on about himself, making it all about him him him, that THIS band, which has been poking each other with sticks for decades now, wouldn't have tried to take the piss out of him by making fun of him for it? Really??? This is Fleetwood Mac, after all.
No I don’t think they would have done the same thing to him behind his back in front of an audience. Obviously I could be wrong but I feel pretty strongly about this.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Senior Ledgie

When men give long speeches talking about themselves, they are considered to be confident and strong. A woman talking for a long time (not that 5 minutes is a long time) about herself is a self-indulgent bitch. BTW, I’m a man in case it’s not clear. If I can see this dynamic, then others should also or at least think about how sexism plays at least a small role in this whole mess.

Last edited by Buster; 10-16-2018 at 02:38 PM..
Old 10-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
In this case, I said sexism, not misogyny. Double standards, things people do to women that they wouldn’t do to men. Women are guilty of this also. If they all think Stevie’s an idiot, they should tell her to her face instead of what they did. They are the ones who acted like high school fools. In front of Bill Clinton. Bunch of children.
I doubt anyone would disagree that they're all children. 95% of musicians are!

However, it does display how much(LITTLE) they respect her. And have always felt this way, IMO.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There is no excuse for the band’s behavior during her speech. Zero. If they didn’t like it, they could have told her later. Getting an audience to laugh at someone who is speaking is disgraceful.

I’m also tired of the blanket statements made about those of us who call out the other band members’ poor behavior. I agree with many statements about how Stevie has changed over the years. But I also see the situation as not black/white, I think there is more to the story that we may never know, and I think sexism plays a part. If that were a man making a rambling self-indulgent speech, I guarantee you the band wouldn’t have openly mocked him. It’s far easier to mock a woman and hold to certain expectations than a man.
Quote:
In this case, I said sexism, not misogyny. Double standards, things people do to women that they wouldn’t do to men. Women are guilty of this also. If they all think Stevie’s an idiot, they should tell her to her face instead of what they did. They are the ones who acted like high school fools. In front of Bill Clinton. Bunch of children.
Quote:
No I don’t think they would have done the same thing to him behind his back in front of an audience. Obviously I could be wrong but I feel pretty strongly about this.
Quote:
When men give long speeches talking about themselves, they are considered to be confident and strong. A woman talking for a long time (not that 5 minutes is a long time) about herself is a self-indulgent bitch. BTW, I’m a man in case it’s not clear. If I can see this dynamic, then others should also or at least think about how sexism plays at least a small role in this whole mess.

Oh come on Buster. Please lighten up a bit. They weren't having fun because she's a woman. They were having fun because she was rambling and boring and and self-centred and bonkers. Indeed, I don't think they really realised they were being in any way disrespectful. I think they were just having fun in the spirit of a fun event/evening. Please don't spin this out as being sexist. If anything its bonkersist.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-16-2018, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
You are spot on! All the fans who have stayed with her can't see what we see. She has changed the last few years and NOT in a good way. I used to absolutely love her, but damn the things she says now are just embarrassing.
perhaps a touch of FLD or FTD or the many other forms of dementia
Old 10-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
perhaps a touch of FLD or FTD or the many other forms of dementia
Which is exactly what crossed my mind when I was watching Lindsey on Kimmel...
Old 10-16-2018, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No offence intended to any sufferers out there- but Stevie some times comes across these days as mildly autistic. She isn't- she hasn't always been like that and autism isn't something you just 'pick up', it just seems like she somehow developed the traits over the last 20 years or so.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Which is exactly what crossed my mind when I was watching Lindsey on Kimmel...
I know...I'm getting older too.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Oh come on Buster. Please lighten up a bit. They weren't having fun because she's a woman. They were having fun because she was rambling and boring and and self-centred and bonkers. Indeed, I don't think they really realised they were being in any way disrespectful. I think they were just having fun in the spirit of a fun event/evening. Please don't spin this out as being sexist. If anything its bonkersist.
Dead right. They've been teasing her for years, hell they tease each other any chance they can. They are like a bunch of siblings. And Stevie can be a pain as well.......so none of them expected any backlash because that's what they all do to each other, plenty of the time.

Did anyone else see Billy Burnette's tweet about Stevie not being so innocent? He said he saw her pick up a chair and throw it at Chris' head during a fight years ago. I believe it was in response to someone saying something about Lindsey frisbeeing a guitar at Stevie's head.

IMO, she wanted Lindsey out, for whatever reason(s) she had set in her mind. Whether it was due to numerous losses lately, or being sick of him, whatever. She went koo-koo and decided this was the time to do it, and latched on to whatever she could blame him for. Because no one in the band, or in any articles is saying ANYTHING about M, C, J all making fun of her.

IMO as well, I have re watched the "you wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan" scene a dozen times in the last few months. I used to LOVE Stevie with every fibre I had in my body. At the time when Destiny Rules came out, I remember thinking "wow, she's a bit pissy." And in re watching, I see Lindsey working very very hard to be politically correct and kind and considerate and gentle with the way he approaches her. She just blows it off and won't listen. Fine, too much water under the bridge, but he wasn't being an ass at that point.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

To say you were fired for smirking is pretty disingenuous. I can't believe his hubris in thinking Fleetwood Mac was just going to let Stevie walk away and carry on with him. If they didn't call Buckingham McVie a Fleetwood Mac record why in the world would they go on a tour with just him? I can't believe that otherwise intelligent people are falling for this dreck. The more articles I read it becomes clearer to me that this is a bunch of bullsh!t. What's also very upsetting to me is he is using his fans - using them to get his side of the story out, using them to attack the band, using them to promote his tour and Anthology, just plain using them.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 10-16-2018 at 04:20 PM..
Old 10-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's a point in general but in this situation I can't really agree because people also poked plenty of fun at Lindsey's repepitive speeches about cycles and compartmentalizing emotions and rising above to fulfill one's higher purpose. But at least Lindsey kept his speeches at a decent length.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
They embarrassed her in front of people she respects.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I thought you were a woman. You must have been influenced by some very strong ones in your life. Kudos to them and you.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
I know...I'm getting older too.
Nice to see you.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Whether it's ever realized, some of us have our eyes and ears connected to our brain.
You have an opinion to which you are most entitled. Don't you think it's a bit narrow minded to feel that everyone else should subscribe to your truth? We are all capable of critical thinking.