The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-08-2017, 09:17 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,822
Default Answers we will never know

I've been thinking recently about the stuff that the late John Fitzgerald (wetcamelfood) and I used to chat about with regards to Fleetwood Mac. Specifically the answers to questions that we either won't know, or won't know for sure.

Like was there a LP released by the Seven Souls in France. A couple of the members claimed to remember it, apparently someone owned a copy in storage, and Bob Welch just couldn't really remember.

Are there any copies still in existence of the 22nd Streatham Cub Scouts LP Songs for Your Enjoyment album featuring Bob Brunning?

If Dave Walker was never in Humble Pie, why is he listed around the internet as being a member?

Did the Stones really want Danny Kirwan?

Did Jenny really have an affair (or more than an affair of the mind) with Weston (Weston said no).

What ever happened to that final Weston album "At this moment (Jan 2008) Bob Weston is recording new material in the Markant Recording Studios in Heeze (the Netherlands). Expect some new material to be released later in the year." Four years later he dies alone in his flat and we will never see that album.

There are probably lots of other unanswered questions, but I started thinking about the Seven Souls album and it made me think of other things.
__________________
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 06-08-2017, 12:23 PM
lazy poker lazy poker is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lahr (Germany)
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
If Dave Walker was never in Humble Pie, why is he listed around the internet as being a member?
i wish i could answer that - because walker having ever been a member of the "pie" is utter bull.
walker would mainly be needed as a singer, so the only time he might've been of any interest for the band was WITHOUT marriott. and as jerry shirley was the only guy that used the name "humble pie" with marriott out of the fold, he surely would've mentioned walker in his book ("best seat in the house - drumming in the 70s with marriott, frampton and humble pie") . . . and there's no mention of him at all. and me being an avid "pie" fan - i never heard anything like that.
the only explanation for this connection that i could come up with is some kind of misunderstanding: "humble pie" mixed-up with the short-lived 1974 band "hungry fighter" featuring danny kirwan, andy sylvester, dave bidwell and dave walker. who knows . . . ?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Did the Stones really want Danny Kirwan?
replacing brian jones in 1969? unlikely! an internet feature about the situation at the time mentions "comments of mick jagger and keith richards, both of whom indicate that they didn’t try out anyone other than mick taylor in mid-1969".
when mick taylor left in 1974 the stones tried quite a few axemen (with even more that were never auditioned). but with kirwan being literally out of the limelight and keeping a pretty low profile this time 'round . . . even if they actually should've tried to phone him up, they might have CONSIDERED him, at the most, but i can't imagine that they really WANTED him.

my 2 cents on these two questions.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-08-2017, 04:10 PM
aleuzzi's Avatar
aleuzzi aleuzzi is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
I
Did Jenny really have an affair (or more than an affair of the mind) with Weston (Weston said no).

What ever happened to that final Weston album "At this moment (Jan 2008) Bob Weston is recording new material in the Markant Recording Studios in Heeze (the Netherlands). Expect some new material to be released later in the year." Four years later he dies alone in his flat and we will never see that album.
I remember Weston admitting openly on a Brunning-produced documentary video that he and Jenny had an affair. He may have also said they did not, but I wouldn't know why he would contradict himself on this.

With regards to the second point, I too would love to know what happened to that music!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-09-2017, 08:43 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I remember Weston admitting openly on a Brunning-produced documentary video that he and Jenny had an affair. He may have also said they did not, but I wouldn't know why he would contradict himself on this.

With regards to the second point, I too would love to know what happened to that music!
I've read somewhere, sometime, that Weston did dispute he'd ever had a affair with Jenny, can't remember what interview it was, probably some interview he gave around the time There's A Heaven came out. (I'll have to find my copy of that, I think its signed). I guess it depends what you term an affair though, given the history of the band. Maybe more friends with benefits

Then again, he did also once say it was the most expensive affair he'd ever had, something about costing him a career.

From what I've seen of his guitar playing (and from my non-existent technical knowledge on the subject) he seemed a damn waste of a guitar player to have basically never done much after the early seventies. Plus I don't think his solo albums were the best display of his talent either.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2017, 08:50 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
replacing brian jones in 1969? unlikely! an internet feature about the situation at the time mentions "comments of mick jagger and keith richards, both of whom indicate that they didn’t try out anyone other than mick taylor in mid-1969".
when mick taylor left in 1974 the stones tried quite a few axemen (with even more that were never auditioned). but with kirwan being literally out of the limelight and keeping a pretty low profile this time 'round . . . even if they actually should've tried to phone him up, they might have CONSIDERED him, at the most, but i can't imagine that they really WANTED him.
.
For all of Danny's talent, for the craziness of the Stones, I can't see how he would fit into the band.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2017, 10:15 AM
lazy poker lazy poker is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lahr (Germany)
Posts: 221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
For all of Danny's talent, for the craziness of the Stones, I can't see how he would fit into the band.
the "stones" being a suitable band for danny wasn't the point of discussion, i guess - it might have killed him . . . in the truest sense of the word. remember: mick taylor never fitted in on a personal basis and subsequently left the band as a junkie.
the main reason for taylor to quit was the fact that jagger and richards NEVER gave him any place for his songs. they actually nicked a lot of his musical ideas, but the credits would always be "jagger / richards"! so the "stones" would never have been any kind of foil for danny's songwriting, too.
BUT taylor's stint with the band provided them with their musically most acclaimed and memorable era, not least because of his contributions as a guitarist. and that's where i could very well imagine danny having been capable of stepping into taylor's shoes - like taylor he could have suited the "stones" solely as their lead guitarist.
of course these are merely mind games for sure. but as i already said - i believe it would have culminated in another "rolling stone" leaving the band in a box.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-13-2017, 05:53 PM
Neb-Maat-Re's Avatar
Neb-Maat-Re Neb-Maat-Re is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
Are there any copies still in existence of the 22nd Streatham Cub Scouts LP Songs for Your Enjoyment album featuring Bob Brunning?
It's sitting in an opp shop, wedged between "Swingin' London - Hits of the 60s on the Hammond Organ" and "The Coldstream Guards present the best of Englebert Humperdick". It's only 50p.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neb-Maat-Re View Post
It's sitting in an opp shop, wedged between "Swingin' London - Hits of the 60s on the Hammond Organ" and "The Coldstream Guards present the best of Englebert Humperdick". It's only 50p.
it would also probably be overpriced at that...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-14-2017, 03:14 PM
BklynBlue BklynBlue is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 295
Default

Although the Welch and Weston years are way out of my swim-lane, I did a quick search of the Seven Souls on the site Discogs https://www.discogs.com/ and they show a French EP https://www.discogs.com/The-Seven-So...elease/3195550
This site is usually pretty good in terms of collecting all the different versions of any given record – from what I can tell, I don’t believe that the Seven Souls recorded enough material for an LP – even one running under thirty minutes (which was not unusual in those days)
I hope that this “answers” at least one of your questions – again, I don’t claim any particular knowledge here, just trying to help
However, questions about the Peter Green era, that’s a different story… www.smilingcorgipress.com
__________________
www.smilingcorgipress.com

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-15-2017, 07:21 AM
chriskisn's Avatar
chriskisn chriskisn is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 1,822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Although the Welch and Weston years are way out of my swim-lane, I did a quick search of the Seven Souls on the site Discogs https://www.discogs.com/ and they show a French EP https://www.discogs.com/The-Seven-So...elease/3195550
This site is usually pretty good in terms of collecting all the different versions of any given record – from what I can tell, I don’t believe that the Seven Souls recorded enough material for an LP – even one running under thirty minutes (which was not unusual in those days)
I hope that this “answers” at least one of your questions – again, I don’t claim any particular knowledge here, just trying to help
However, questions about the Peter Green era, that’s a different story… www.smilingcorgipress.com
Oh by all accounts the self-titled LP does exist, released on Barclay in 1969, but your point about there not been enough material has been one sticking point on that issue. There are 9 Seven Souls tracks if you add the EP to the singles and b-sides, almost enough for an LP but seriously who puts all their singles on an LP? Self titled albums are the hardest to track down when you are trying to find out of print stuff, it has driven me to the point of insanity several times with different artists.

It was released in France, I think not long after Bob had left the band/band had broken up, it is rumoured, if I remember correctly to have a red cover, and was confirmed by at least one member of the band, who I think Bob asked about it. I suspect it was released by the record company without much input from the members.

There is also a rumoured copy owned by someone who had all their vinyl in storage (and from where the memory of the red cover came from). That info also came via Bob I think.

Having said all of that, what we have is very limited proof, a memory of someone who owned a copy (or maybe it was just the EP) and a memory of a member.

I did at one point send some of the living members I could track down a message via facebook asking about it, but no-one replied. Probably thought I was a bit crazy!

Even my memory of all of this is a bit shaky, there was a discussion post about it on here a few years back, http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=53561 and we did try a bit of internet research to no avail. I suspect someone in France could track down copyright details or such, but after 40 - 50 years who knows.

No amount of internet searching has uncovered anything though, an obscure, yet talented, band that has pretty much been forgotten, and would be completely forgotten except for Welch's membership.
__________________

Last edited by chriskisn : 06-15-2017 at 07:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-06-2017, 08:51 AM
LesPaul7's Avatar
LesPaul7 LesPaul7 is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 96
Default

I'd like Martin Birch to go into more detail about the Then Play On sessions, "who played what", etc. I found it interesting he said Green and Kirwan recorded some of their own tunes by themselves. I could see Showbiz Blues, Closing My Eyes and When You Say, but what else? I'm not sure Green plays on My Dream and Although the Sun is Shining. I'm pretty sure both play on Coming Your Way and Before the Beginning because there are alternate takes of basic tracking available. Those sound like band songs rather than overdub tracking. I'd also love to know more about the songs they were working on featured on the Vaudeville Years.

Was Snowy White on Beasts of Burden or not? Where did that info come from?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Christine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Old
$99.99
Christine McVie Poster Fleetwood Mac Old pictureChristine McVie Of Fleetwood Mac Poster OLD
$49.99
Christine McVie Of Fleetwood Mac Poster OLD pictureFleetwood Mac Stevie Nicks Mick Christine McVie Lindsey Grammy Award Poster
$24.99
Fleetwood Mac Stevie Nicks Mick Christine McVie Lindsey Grammy Award Poster pictureFLEETWOOD MAC ORIGINAL PHOTO Mac John Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks 1977 Band
$19.99
FLEETWOOD MAC ORIGINAL PHOTO Mac John Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks 1977 Band picture2 Christine McVie Promo 45 Fleetwood Mac Record
$15.0
2 Christine McVie Promo 45 Fleetwood Mac Record picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved