The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-21-2014, 07:05 AM
Mario Mario is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Acqui Terme (AL) Italy
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
I probably put what is in the Penguin discog listings now more for indexing until we can get better documentation on this (If we ever do).

John
of course, but if you listen to the drums playing on "Homework", then you wll hear that it wasn't Mick Fleetwood style.

Peter played even the drums on it.....

Mario.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 PM
wetcamelfood wetcamelfood is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peabody, MA., USA
Posts: 2,048
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
of course, but if you listen to the drums playing on "Homework", then you wll hear that it wasn't Mick Fleetwood style.

Peter played even the drums on it.....

Mario.
With all due respect, when we get something more iron clad than something "not sounding like his style" then we can change it, otherwise we'll be forever changing everything. What is your source on Peter playing drums on Homework?

John
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-22-2014, 03:40 AM
lazy poker lazy poker is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lahr (Germany)
Posts: 236
Default

as interesting as the discussion about the clifford davis 45s and the featured musicians is - we've run a bit off-topic here, haven't we?!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-22-2014, 05:55 AM
wetcamelfood wetcamelfood is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peabody, MA., USA
Posts: 2,048
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
as interesting as the discussion about the clifford davis 45s and the featured musicians is - we've run a bit off-topic here, haven't we?!
Agreed. Hopefully someone will post it here soon.

John
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-22-2014, 11:57 AM
BklynBlue BklynBlue is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 295
Default

Lazy Poker,
While I appreciate your comment, I believe it is safe to say that this particular thread had already died on the vine –
It would appear from the lack of response specifically related to the topic, that no one posting here has actually heard either of these two songs, even if they had heard about them.
The “off-topic” discussions of the Davis singles, and who may or may not be playing on them are too me, at least, somewhat related. They were presumably all recorded around the same time period: after they signed with Reprise, up until Green’s decision to no longer record.
Davis’ estate seems to have held on to the “rights” of much of this material recorded at this time, releasing it on first the “Vaudeville Years” and then the “Show-Biz Blues” collections (and we have no way of knowing how much else they still might have).
The Davis singles though were commercially released (on Reprise) and the McIvor single though not commercially issued was released as a radio promo on Warner Bros. Records so they would still control and presumably still have, the masters, and whatever recording info goes with them.
The powers that be lost a great opportunity to see at least some money out of these old recordings by not issuing them along with the re-release of “Then Play On”.
And it goes without saying that the Peter Green and the Nigel Watson and Peter Green singles should also have been part of that reissue package.
I truly believe that the information about those sessions is out there; and while we can make educated guesses (and that is all that they will be until "real" proof come along) as to who played on the Davis singles, it is possible (and probably likely) that neither Green or anyone else from Fleetwood Mac played on the McIvor session, (though Davis may have done the vocals) but without hearing the songs, it is impossible to know.
Meanwhile, I will continue to scour the Internet for any copies of the McIvor 45 that may come up for sale.
__________________
www.smilingcorgipress.com

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 PM
Mario Mario is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Acqui Terme (AL) Italy
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
With all due respect, when we get something more iron clad than something "not sounding like his style" then we can change it, otherwise we'll be forever changing everything. What is your source on Peter playing drums on Homework?

John
Of corse my mean source is Martin Celmin's book.........
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-22-2014, 05:22 PM
wetcamelfood wetcamelfood is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Peabody, MA., USA
Posts: 2,048
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue View Post
Lazy Poker,
While I appreciate your comment, I believe it is safe to say that this particular thread had already died on the vine –
It would appear from the lack of response specifically related to the topic, that no one posting here has actually heard either of these two songs, even if they had heard about them.
The “off-topic” discussions of the Davis singles, and who may or may not be playing on them are too me, at least, somewhat related. They were presumably all recorded around the same time period: after they signed with Reprise, up until Green’s decision to no longer record.
Davis’ estate seems to have held on to the “rights” of much of this material recorded at this time, releasing it on first the “Vaudeville Years” and then the “Show-Biz Blues” collections (and we have no way of knowing how much else they still might have).
The Davis singles though were commercially released (on Reprise) and the McIvor single though not commercially issued was released as a radio promo on Warner Bros. Records so they would still control and presumably still have, the masters, and whatever recording info goes with them.
The powers that be lost a great opportunity to see at least some money out of these old recordings by not issuing them along with the re-release of “Then Play On”.
And it goes without saying that the Peter Green and the Nigel Watson and Peter Green singles should also have been part of that reissue package.
I truly believe that the information about those sessions is out there; and while we can make educated guesses (and that is all that they will be until "real" proof come along) as to who played on the Davis singles, it is possible (and probably likely) that neither Green or anyone else from Fleetwood Mac played on the McIvor session, (though Davis may have done the vocals) but without hearing the songs, it is impossible to know.
Meanwhile, I will continue to scour the Internet for any copies of the McIvor 45 that may come up for sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Of corse my mean source is Martin Celmin's book.........
Thanks to both of you and yes, hopefully we can come up with real data soon on this. As stated I only have it as it is now in the listings here for indexing so I can find them in each FM members records in case we need to change them later (since the "legend" is that they are all on it so we are forced to go by that until the better information comes along).

As for Homework, I put in the comments section that Peter could be playing all the instruments on it.

John
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 PM
BklynBlue BklynBlue is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 295
Default

Just a quick update: I received confirmation that the vocalist on the McIvor single is not Clifford Davis. I asked the person who has it to please compare the vocal with those on Davis’ singles and he tells me that they are not the same –
Does not really help us come any closer to solving most of the mysteries surrounding this number, but I just thought I would put that out there.
__________________
www.smilingcorgipress.com

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-31-2017, 04:21 PM
Rubber Duck Rubber Duck is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 53
Default

A regular (non-promo) copy of this David McIvor 7" has just been sold on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1625229985...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bid on it, but didn´t win...hopefully someone here did!
Or at least we´ll get to know more about...?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-04-2017, 03:19 AM
lazy poker lazy poker is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lahr (Germany)
Posts: 236
Default

. . . i wonder why my last post from a few days ago has been scrapped???
info from whoever responsible for this is more than welcome!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Star Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks
$89.99
Star Trek TNG Mick Fleetwood autograph card Rare WoW Mac John McVie Stevie Nicks picturec1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$49.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER pictureDENNIS WILSON candid PHOTO rare pic taken by Geo Emmel JOHN McVIE Fleetwood Mac
$44.0
DENNIS WILSON candid PHOTO rare pic taken by Geo Emmel JOHN McVIE Fleetwood Mac picture1978 Vintage Photo bass guitarist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac rock band posing
$24.0
1978 Vintage Photo bass guitarist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac rock band posing pictureWire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac
$20.0
Wire Photo Famed British Bassist John McVie of Fleetwood Mac picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved