The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #601  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
this is an UNpopular opinions thread dear!
I know,but still!

Her studio voice was much better back then but her live voice is much better now.
__________________
 photo d754aa6e-1605-473c-895b-9665a3f17371_zpsrtovtrei.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #602  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 AM
The Catdancer's Avatar
The Catdancer The Catdancer is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Slow dancin' in the moonlight
Posts: 1,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I did not like the way "Storms" worked out on the Unleashed tour. Much too loud and harsh, monotone, totally lost the atmosphere of the original.
Exactly and that's why I hope that they'll leave Angel, SOTM etc alone and take Rhiannon out of the setlist. She can't do it anymore, all the songs are in a lower key because her voice deepened. Nothing wrong with that but that doesn't mean she can't put some energy in them.
__________________
Debbie

#WhoAreYouPeople
#IStandWithLindsey

You're too crazy to change but never forgotten
Reply With Quote
  #603  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:48 AM
SummerlongBoots's Avatar
SummerlongBoots SummerlongBoots is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
17.) I think she isn't as careful as she should be about "borrowing" certain things from her influences ( Oscar Wilde, the guitarist of The Police/Edge of Seventeen riff, etc. ) She doesn't know where the line is and she's VERY lucky that she hasn't been sued, and if she had been it would have made her a BETTER songwriter and a BETTER person.
There are too many "similarities" to other songs in her lyrics. If she is going to "borrow" a good line or two, she should at least shake it up a bit.

Makes me think of that interview she did with Jim Ladd where he mentions her nod to Blind Faith's Can't Find My Way Home in her lyrics and she denies it! I'm sorry. When I heard it the first time I thought, hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Few examples

And when she walked in the room
After so many years,
He looked up and saw her
He was standing at the crossroads

1939 Crossroads Robert Johnson original then Clapton with Cream *And I'm standing at the crossroads, believe I'm sinking down.


and the floor was wet and slippery
With the tracks of their tears ***** 1965 Track of My Tears S Robinson & The Miracles

And then I see someone standing
At the side of the stage
Not *standing in the shadows ***** 1966 Have You Seen Your Mother (baby) Standing In The Shadows? Rolling Stones

Battle of the Dragon "Oh so very young" - Cat Stevens title song "Oh Very Young"

Sable on Blonde - Bob Dylan Title album "Blonde on Blonde"

Small example and I know to some it doesn't matter one bit but it bugs me, lol.

Also, her saying "I wrote that song in five minutes" is getting old too.
Reply With Quote
  #604  
Old 03-05-2013, 11:57 AM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerlongBoots View Post
Also, her saying "I wrote that song in five minutes" is getting old too.
What if she added: But it took me years to record it?
__________________
 photo d754aa6e-1605-473c-895b-9665a3f17371_zpsrtovtrei.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #605  
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
SummerlongBoots's Avatar
SummerlongBoots SummerlongBoots is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 373
Default

LOLOLOLOLOLOL YES! Then she'd be forgiven.
Reply With Quote
  #606  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerlongBoots View Post
Also, her saying "I wrote that song in five minutes" is getting old too.
I have never bought that. She perfected and worked and worked on her best songs.
Reply With Quote
  #607  
Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 PM
bluecalmsea's Avatar
bluecalmsea bluecalmsea is offline
Senior Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 141
Default

I was just watching this today she says it at 1:30

Reply With Quote
  #608  
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 PM
SummerlongBoots's Avatar
SummerlongBoots SummerlongBoots is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 373
Default

Ha-ha! If you pick this up somewhere around 24 minutes in . . . guess what?

http://podfuse-dl.andomedia.com/8001...gust012011.mp3
Reply With Quote
  #609  
Old 03-06-2013, 02:19 AM
NoLight77 NoLight77 is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 89
Default

My unpopular opinions:

I am excited that Stevie is going to be on Oprah's Master Class, but I honestly don't think she will say anything that we have not heard already. She will not be like Jane Fonda and get too personal, unfortunately. I would love to hear more stories about her life other than her too oft repeated stories about how she and Lindsey started out. She is like a broken record, says the same things over and over in most interviews.

Her live shows are another case of her repeating herself, by repeating the same songs over and over. I do not know how she can't be tired of her songs. I could not sing the same songs night after night like she does and not want to hang myself. She needs to sing some different songs, and she knows this. At one of the q and a's for her doc, she sang snippets of Bella Donna, Rock a Little, and one other I can't remember. I appreciated the IYD shows for their diversity and new songs.

I believe also that she is all about the money, unfortunately. I believe after The Dance she saw the fans' demand, realized she could make lots of money, and once she got started she went on for more than 10 years. I think money is very important to her.

She doesn't do enough for the fans as far as making an effort to meet them or talk to them. And we have so much to tell her!

I also believe she works a lot in order to not deal with her personal life as one poster said. She admitted it in a recent interview, Stevie Nicks: The Return of FM. She was in Malibu renting a place and she said: "I'm trying to rest and it's really hard to rest because in either one of my own houses I feel like I should be working. I've been coming here off and on for nearly 10 years and there's absolutely nothing for me to do except draw or sit and write poetry or bring the electric piano down." Problem is, "I've been here since Tuesday and I haven't managed yet to actually come up here at 3 in the afternoon and go sit on that miserable couch and draw for a few hours..." I think the fact that she rarely lives in her house is kind of weird. She lives more in her apartment. And watching the parts of the IYD doc, her house is not really all that decorated. Her lamps are placed randomly around the room...you can tell she doesn't spend a lot of time there. Compared with her previous residence, her house is plain. I always look at the staircase and wish she'd replace that ugly blue carpet on the stairs! I will post a pic of her previous living room.

I think Stevie's frustration and unhappiness with life can be cured by looking to a higher power. When I heard that she "moves from situation to situation like a ghost" it made me very sad. Something is missing in her life. Maybe it's spiritual help.


It makes me cry almost when I go to the store and see her cds on display and I see the Crystal Visions cd and the picture of her from the 80's on it...and know that the songs are her greatest hits...again. Wouldn't it be so cool if that cd with her picture from the 80's had some piano demos on it? Or other rarities? Instead, it has Talk to Me and Stand Back, again. So many people don't know about Stevie's gems and I think that's sad.

Stevie should have released the Melbourne concert with the Symphony Orchestra on dvd.

Stevie should have done a live album by now.

Stevie needs to get Belle Fleur out of the vault.

Her official website needs an uplift.

Now the living room below...that's what I imagined Stevie's house should look like!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 424080_3331559698452_488322635_n.jpg (20.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by NoLight77 : 03-06-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #610  
Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 AM
On Ice On Ice is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 405
Default

Hi No Light,
I agree with much of what you've said and you've expressed your thoughts accurately and respectfully. I especially like this comment:
Quote:
She doesn't do enough for the fans as far as making an effort to meet them or talk to them. And we have so much to tell her!
I believe there is a huge missing piece in Stevie's life story that she has not captured well in either her writing or any of the "historical" perspective she puts forward. She has to know that her loyal fans have heard it all before and would be tired of hearing the same recycled stories with lots of inaccuracies thrown in for whatever reason she chooses to do so. She totally doesn't get the fan experience. I really have to wonder if she's ever asked herself the question, what do they see in me and how have they stood by me through all of the drama and disappointments through the years. The most current example is her hype around this 2013 tour and how wonderful it's going to be. Wonderful for whom? She and Lindsey or the thousands of fans paying money they can't afford to see her put as little effort as possible into songs she's sang thousands of times? This would be a great opportunity for self analysis and ask a few tough questions of herself: what I'm I bringing to the fan's experience and are they getting their money's worth? The toughest question I think is have I earned this loyalty they show me when I've disappointed them too many times to count over the years? The wonderful moments like the Wiltern show are just way to rare to warrant constant attention and shelling out the big bucks. My #1 reason for sitting out this tour.
__________________

Last edited by On Ice : 03-06-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #611  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 AM
The Catdancer's Avatar
The Catdancer The Catdancer is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Slow dancin' in the moonlight
Posts: 1,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Hi No Light,
I agree with much of what you've said and you've expressed your thoughts accurately and respectfully. I especially like this comment:


I believe there is a huge missing piece in Stevie's life story that she has not captured well in either her writing or any of the "historical" perspective she puts forward. She has to know that her loyal fans have heard it all before and would be tired of hearing the same recycled stories with lots of inaccuracies thrown in for whatever reason she chooses to do so. She totally doesn't get the fan experience. I really have to wonder if she's ever asked herself the question, what do they see in me and how have they stood by me through all of the drama and disappointments through the years. The most current example is her hype around this 2013 tour and how wonderful it's going to be. Wonderful for whom? She and Lindsey or the thousands of fans paying money they can't afford to see her put as little effort as possible into songs she's sang thousands of times? This would be a great opportunity for self analysis and ask a few tough questions of herself: what I'm I bringing to the fan's experience and are they getting their money's worth? The toughest question I think is have I earned this loyalty they show me when I've disappointed them too many times to count over the years? The wonderful moments like the Wiltern show are just way to rare to warrant constant attention and shelling out the big bucks. My #1 reason for sitting out this tour.
This. I so agree with this except for one thing. I do think she gets the fan experience or at least she should after all these years. I just think she doesn't care too much anymore. She said to Lindsey (it's in one of the video interviews) that he had this wonderful house because they worked so hard at the coffee plant making demos. I'm sure they did and still do but the main reason why they all live in such wonderful houses is because of us, we buy every record, go to every concert etc. She seems to forget that. I'm sitting this one out too because as you said, she puts as little effort as possible into singing songs she's sang a 1000 times before. I was going to go to the Spokane, WA show because that's closest to me but I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a band whose lead singer (who happens to be my favorite) says she's just standing there, singing her songs and twirls every once in a while. When you say that about your own performance it tells me you don't really care.
__________________
Debbie

#WhoAreYouPeople
#IStandWithLindsey

You're too crazy to change but never forgotten
Reply With Quote
  #612  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:59 AM
vivfox's Avatar
vivfox vivfox is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on a band whose lead singer (who happens to be my favorite) says she's just standing there, singing her songs and twirls every once in a while. When you say that about your own performance it tells me you don't really care.
I know you've been a fan for as long as I have Debbie. I remember defending her performance in 2009 when fans wrote that she was phoning in her performances. When she recently admitted that it was fact, I was a bit dis- enchanted. I so wish that just one day she has the guts to chuck her entire safe formula and give us an entire show of previously unperformed songs.
__________________
 photo d754aa6e-1605-473c-895b-9665a3f17371_zpsrtovtrei.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #613  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
TheWILDheart TheWILDheart is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West Yorkshire, UK
Posts: 2,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLight77 View Post
I think Stevie's frustration and unhappiness with life can be cured by looking to a higher power. When I heard that she "moves from situation to situation like a ghost" it made me very sad. Something is missing in her life. Maybe it's spiritual help.
The verses of Moonlight are actually "Lady From The Mountain" which was written in like 1974, so I doubt that's how she's feeling now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLight77 View Post
Stevie should have released the Melbourne concert with the Symphony Orchestra on dvd.
The reason the Melbourne DVD was never release has nothing to do with her performance, and purely on the fact that Stevie had botox too close to the concert and it's VERY noticeable - she can barely move her face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLight77 View Post
It makes me cry almost when I go to the store and see her cds on display and I see the Crystal Visions cd and the picture of her from the 80's on it...and know that the songs are her greatest hits...again. Wouldn't it be so cool if that cd with her picture from the 80's had some piano demos on it? Or other rarities? Instead, it has Talk to Me and Stand Back, again. So many people don't know about Stevie's gems and I think that's sad.
Not sure what songs you expect on a Greatest Hits package. Personally, I'll never tire of "Stand Back" or "Talk To Me" and I have no problem with GH albums, I just wish she'd shake up her live set and add some of those "Greatest Hits" back in. "Rooms on Fire" and "Whole Lotta Trouble" haven't been performed since 2000 and "Talk To Me" hasn't been performed since 1994, yet non-hits like "Enchanted" and "How Still My Love" (not that I don't LOVE those songs) and an abundance of cover songs that she doesn't need to include are always present - why ignore 1/2 your solo career in your set? I don't get it.

As for "hidden gem" collections, she's NEVER going to release her piano demo's - she's expressed her dislike of the bootleg and demo trading online and will keep as many demo's locked away as she can to dip into in the future, when she can be bothered making another album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLight77 View Post
I believe also that she is all about the money, unfortunately. I believe after The Dance she saw the fans' demand, realized she could make lots of money, and once she got started she went on for more than 10 years. I think money is very important to her.
Agreed. She'll cash in on ANYTHING. Mick is just the same, hence the constant rehash releases of old material, tour after tour with the same setlist with a 10 year gap between new solo material and NO new Fleetwood Mac album. Where is her desire to create? She's just not interested anymore. Touring with the same sets brings in a LOT of money for something that's easy to do, especially with Fleetwood Mac.
Reply With Quote
  #614  
Old 03-08-2013, 04:36 PM
The Catdancer's Avatar
The Catdancer The Catdancer is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Slow dancin' in the moonlight
Posts: 1,606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I know you've been a fan for as long as I have Debbie. I remember defending her performance in 2009 when fans wrote that she was phoning in her performances. When she recently admitted that it was fact, I was a bit dis- enchanted. I so wish that just one day she has the guts to chuck her entire safe formula and give us an entire show of previously unperformed songs.
She admitted that her performances were phoned in??? That right there makes me cringe. What's the point of forking out hundreds of dollars when she phones in her performance?! She said that this tour is going to be wonderful but, like someone else mentioned, for who?? For the audience or for her & Lindsey? I didn't go to any of the shows in 2009 but from what I saw on youtube she looked totally bored, she hardly moved.
I like your idea of her chucking her safe formula and just give us a night full of songs she has never done before. We've been fans for a long time and if she messes up we'll forgive her, we have in the past
__________________
Debbie

#WhoAreYouPeople
#IStandWithLindsey

You're too crazy to change but never forgotten
Reply With Quote
  #615  
Old 03-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Johnny Stew's Avatar
Johnny Stew Johnny Stew is offline
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 12,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
The reason the Melbourne DVD was never release has nothing to do with her performance, and purely on the fact that Stevie had botox too close to the concert and it's VERY noticeable - she can barely move her face.
Fans who were at the Melbourne show noted that there wasn't a full film crew there -- only a couple of video cameras for use on the projection screens. And when Stevie re-did two songs ("Outside The Rain" and "Dreams") after the show, she didn't even bother to change back from her "Beauty And The Beast" gown to the outfit she was wearing earlier in the show.

This implies to me that it was only the audio they were interested in recording.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Disney Auctions Elisabete Gomes Tinker Bell Green Square Pin LE 100 Peter Pan
$674.99
Disney Auctions Elisabete Gomes Tinker Bell Green Square Pin LE 100 Peter Pan pictureLLADRO DISNEY PETER PAN BRAND NEW IN BOX #9328 LARGE GREEN COAT SAVE$ F/SH
$589.98
LLADRO DISNEY PETER PAN BRAND NEW IN BOX #9328 LARGE GREEN COAT SAVE$ F/SH picturePeter Max, Clock (Green with Orange Daisies), General Electric Clock
$375.0
Peter Max, Clock (Green with Orange Daisies), General Electric Clock picturePeter Stone Model Horse Shimmering Green Morgan Santa Fe =)
$199.99
Peter Stone Model Horse Shimmering Green Morgan Santa Fe =) pictureDISNEY WDCC PETER PAN NOBODY CALLS PAN A COWARD BRAND NIB GREEN RARE P
$199.98
DISNEY WDCC PETER PAN NOBODY CALLS PAN A COWARD BRAND NIB GREEN RARE P picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved