The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-14-2017, 12:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like it! It's atmospheric and the piano rift reminds me of old movie music from movies like the Ghost Mr. Chicken. It has that tinge of darkness which makes it different.

However I have a Complaint - the processed vocals. The thin vocals make some words hard to understand.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I downloaded it and listened the whole way through. It's quite catchy. Good song. Very good, in fact. That said...

I'm not nuts about his processed vocals. And I'm REALLY annoyed that Christine is not singing prominently on it. She would have sounded terrific harmonizing on the chorus. Why oh why was she not singing here? My assumption is that it was largely recorded prior to her rejoining. Okay. But then GO BACK IN and sing background! As a teaser for the album, they could have picked something they were both singing on.
sounds like a leftover that didn't get used on any one of his recent solo albums. I don't think it's an 'homage' to any FM album -- Tango or Mirage-- it sounds like something he's written within the last decade that didn't make the cut on a solo album. And I agree with whoever said they don't hear Chris on keyboards at all.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with everyone here that it's an odd choice of lead single. I was expecting a Hold Me/Don't Stop style split vocal track.

But I'm really happy with the song. I'm especially glad about the production. Lindsey's solo stuff has been getting thinner and thinner in a way that I don't think would translate to Fleetwood Mac, though it works well for solo stuff. SWS was particularly anaemic on the bass and really hyped in the high frequencies. Either Lindsey changed approach here or the fact that he didn't mix it himself has been a big factor.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's intriguing. The more I listen to it the more I like it. It's OFF-putting and just has its its own vibe, which is sort of spooky retro. I do hear a little Straight Back in it too.

Makes me wonder how different the new album will be because this is totally unexpected.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What the hell is that drivel? This is the worst Lindsey single ever. And that is saying something with Peacekeeper and Family Man in his stable. Although I'm a Stevie fan, I love all three of them and already pre-ordered the album and had high hopes for this music particularly with how long it has been with Christine's absence. What a mistake to not release one of her songs first.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This is NEW music. Unlike Stevie, who has been imitating herself and rehashing herself for 30 years, Lindsey and Chris created something different

I have a feeling the new album is going to be as Off-putting as Tusk. Christine described it as unexpected and that is what the 1st single is.

P.S. Christine didn't have any great radio singles from Tusk but she did have a lot of great atmospheric songs.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I just listened to it. It really wasn't what I expected. I too wish Christine was more present on this track. It's just makes sense to me to have the first single be a duet. I'm really curious now to what the rest of the album is like. I'm not really into Lindsey's solo stuff since I've only ever listened to Law and Order, but this first song really seems more like what I imagine his solo style is. I guess what I'm trying to say is it is very Lindsey Buckingham. I will say the chorus is pretty catchy. However, I'm enjoying the instrumentation much more than the vocals. The rhythm section is really good and very reminiscent of Fleetwood Mac. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
It's intriguing. The more I listen to it the more I like it. It's OFF-putting and just has its its own vibe, which is sort of spooky retro. I do hear a little Straight Back in it too.

Makes me wonder how different the new album will be because this is totally unexpected.
I've just worked out the chords (see another thread) and I think there are a lot of variants Lindsey doesn't use a lot. Maybe ever. That's potentially one of the reasons this doesn't sound so similar. I wonder if it was Chris' influence or if he was trying things like this out before she arrived
Old 04-14-2017, 03:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's ok, definitely not bad - I need to hear it within the context of the album, so I'm trying to hold back from judging it too much.
I was hoping for more Christine, but as someone else said in this thread, it's not unusual for Fleetwood mac songs to be dominated by only one of the songwriters.

To my ears, it sounds as though it would fit perfectly on SYW with Stevie vocals - I'm just so aware of the space where Stevie's voice would be
It's sad she's not on this album (As Lindsey's face perfectly demonstrates on the cover), but it wasn't to be. Good on them for releasing this music and I'm looking forward to hearing the album as a whole.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

After having this song on repeat for the best part of the day I think it sh!ts all over anything from EP. I suspect many casual Fleetwood Mac fans might now explore Lindsey's solo catalogue. Done well Linds!! I love it😜
Old 04-14-2017, 04:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can someone remix this and bring out the grunts and the humming. I think this song would make great remixes.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Have only heard a short snippet, but sounds like Peacekeeper a bit..
Need to hear the whole track before passing judgement..
Is he free for Eurovision as it's not groundbreaking.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Can someone remix this and bring out the grunts and the humming. I think this song would make great remixes.
Paging Richard X

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
This is NEW music. Unlike Stevie, who has been imitating herself and rehashing herself for 30 years, Lindsey and Chris created something different

I have a feeling the new album is going to be as Off-putting as Tusk. Christine described it as unexpected and that is what the 1st single is.

P.S. Christine didn't have any great radio singles from Tusk but she did have a lot of great atmospheric songs.
You don't believe "Think about me" was a good radio single? It made it to #20. I think it should have been the lead single which would have promoted the album better and put it in the top 10. While Tusk has a little bit of everything, Think About Me was standard radio play and was the perfect single IMHO.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You don't believe "Think about me" was a good radio single? It made it to #20. I think it should have been the lead single which would have promoted the album better and put it in the top 10. While Tusk has a little bit of everything, Think About Me was standard radio play and was the perfect single IMHO.
No Think About Me was not a good radio single and had it not been for their previous work it would not have been Top 40. Nice beat but the rest was blah. However, Brown Eyes, Honey Hi, Over and Over were great but not radio friendly.