The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Ledgie

Default What has kept Buckingham Nicks off the shelves for so long?

I'm listening to a bootleg of the Buckingham Nicks album and it is fantastic. It baffles me that there has never been a reissue let alone an official CD release. I saw Stevie live recently and she did a great version of "Crying in the Night" and have read vague comments from her and Lindsey about wanting to see it re-released. So what's the deal? Were there ever any plans for a CD release that were abandoned? Is there any actual reason why it's still collecting dust or has it just been in the back of everyone's mind?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think it's just always been in the back of everyone's mind. It's not really a priority, so when you do big tours or work on albums, that takes precedence and they'd probably disagree about a lot of the little details too. And I think Keith Olsen owns part of it too.
David Wild talked about it in a recent-ish podcast and he said the rights are messed up though so I'm not sure if that's an issue too.

Tbh I feel like part of its appeal is that it's a "lost album".
Old 04-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

in an interview Lindsey said he'd just release and let it go at that. He said that "other people" (i.e. Stevie and her camp) feel like when it comes out there should be a big moment about it, and that they should wait for the "right time" and have it be packaged with other stuff and all that.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie has said Lindsey was holding up the reissue, Lindsey has said Stevie was holding up the reissue, and Richard Dashut has said Keith Olsen was holding up the reissue.

I don't understand how Stevie was able to include Long Distance Winner on her Enchanted box set. I'm thrilled she did, but I don't know how she was able to.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I think it's just always been in the back of everyone's mind. It's not really a priority, so when you do big tours or work on albums, that takes precedence and they'd probably disagree about a lot of the little details too. And I think Keith Olsen owns part of it too.
David Wild talked about it in a recent-ish podcast and he said the rights are messed up though so I'm not sure if that's an issue too.

Tbh I feel like part of its appeal is that it's a "lost album".
I read somewhere that Stevie wants to change the cove, Lindsey doesn't. Lindsey wants to remaster it, Stevie doesn't.

In one of her concerts Stevie said "Lindsey and I bought it", so it seems that we need for them to agree on everything in order to move forward.

So, yeah, not gonna happen.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The sooner that we all accept the fact that Lindsey and Stevie just can't stand being around each other, the more at peace we'll be. Simply stated, they just don't get along. It's a dysfunctional relationship with each party continually pushing the others buttons. When they tour with Mac, it's only for the money.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
The sooner that we all accept the fact that Lindsey and Stevie just can't stand being around each other, the more at peace we'll be. Simply stated, they just don't get along. It's a dysfunctional relationship with each party continually pushing the others buttons. When they tour with Mac, it's only for the money.

"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you for possessing common sense!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Absolutely..If Stevie believed that a new Fleetwood Mac album would sell millions and generate another bumper crop of hit singles there would be a new Fleetwood Mac album even if she can't stand him.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:09 PM

I keep reading this thread What has kept Buckingham McVie off the shelves for so long?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I keep reading this thread What has kept Buckingham McVie off the shelves for so long?

I do too! ��

Last edited by Nathan; 04-12-2017 at 11:17 PM..
Old 04-12-2017, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I read somewhere that Stevie wants to change the cove, Lindsey doesn't. Lindsey wants to remaster it, Stevie doesn't.

In one of her concerts Stevie said "Lindsey and I bought it", so it seems that we need for them to agree on everything in order to move forward.

So, yeah, not gonna happen.
I think Lindsey is right on both.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll never understand why they didn't rerelease this in 1998 once Christine left Fleetwood Mac. They should have released in celebration of the album's 25th anniversary and toured behind it. Their post-Dance popularity was incredible and they should have struck while the iron was hot.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to see the quote where Stevie said she won't allow Buckingham Nicks to be rereleased because she doesn't want it to be remastered. That is ridiculous. No way in the world is that true. Stevie was fine with the FM albums she was on being remastered, as well as her first two solo albums, but not BN?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I would love to see the quote where Stevie said she won't allow Buckingham Nicks to be rereleased because she doesn't want it to be remastered. That is ridiculous. No way in the world is that true. Stevie was fine with the FM albums she was on being remastered, as well as her first two solo albums, but not BN?
Both acknowledge the album pretty regularly, Stevie most recently by doing Crying in the Night on her tour. Every interview I've seen where they're asked about it in recent years, each one reiterates that they have the rights and would like to release it.

I vaguely recall Stevie at one point suggesting that she thought it would need to be repackaged with additional songs a la Without You.

I agree with the apparent consensus that Lindsey and Stevie's dysfunctional relationship is the only thing standing in the way of this being released digitally/on CD.