The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

for those interested in it - the current edition of mojo magazine (#298, september 2018) features a 3-page obituary for danny.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had a quick look at the Mojo obit. There were some brief comments that may have been recent from Christine and Jeremy. Spencer was quoted as saying that he last saw Danny in 2002. That's sad to hear- sometimes I optimistically imagined Peter, Jeremy and Danny having had some ongoing friendship but I suppose life in general and Fleetwod Mac in particular doesn't work like that.

Christine praised Tell me all the things you do, Woman of 1000 years and one other (memory fails- Sands of Time or Sometimes), I think).

EDIT: Wikipedia helpfully provides some of the quotes:

The September 2018 edition of the British music magazine 'Mojo', in a two-page tribute to Kirwan's life and music ("A Loner and a One-Off: Danny Kirwan 1950-2018"), said Jeremy Spencer had met Kirwan in London in 2002 with his ex-wife Clare and their son Dominic. Kirwan was living at the time in a care home in south London, "where he was well looked after and visited by family and friends until the end".

Mojo quoted Christine McVie as saying: "Danny Kirwan was the white English blues guy. Nobody else could play like him. He was a one-off.... Danny and Peter (Green) gelled so well together. Danny had a very precise, piercing vibrato - a unique sound.... He was a perfectionist.... Listen to 'Woman of 1000 Years', 'Sands of Time', 'Tell Me All the Things You Do' - they're killer songs. He was a fantastic musician and a fantastic writer." She also commented: "Danny was a troubled man and a difficult person to get to know. He was a loner." Jeremy Spencer said "Danny brought inventiveness and melody to the band.... I was timid about stepping out with new ideas, but Danny was brimming with them."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kirwan#Death

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 08-11-2018 at 11:10 AM..
Old 08-17-2018, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
Mojo quoted Christine McVie as saying: "Danny Kirwan was the white English blues guy. Nobody else could play like him. He was a one-off.... Danny and Peter (Green) gelled so well together. Danny had a very precise, piercing vibrato - a unique sound.... He was a perfectionist.... Listen to 'Woman of 1000 Years', 'Sands of Time', 'Tell Me All the Things You Do' - they're killer songs. He was a fantastic musician and a fantastic writer." She also commented: "Danny was a troubled man and a difficult person to get to know. He was a loner." Jeremy Spencer said "Danny brought inventiveness and melody to the band.... I was timid about stepping out with new ideas, but Danny was brimming with them."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kirwan#Death
beautiful tributes from Christine and Jeremy. Wow.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

as for christine's comments on danny:

i've always been a huge danny kirwan fan. but in all fairness - to state he "was THE white english blues guy" is quite a bit over the top. i mean, what about peter green or duster bennett (just to name these two)? nevertheless i'd certainly agree that he was "ONE of THE" white english blues guys.

and it's definitely correct that "nobody else could play like him". just like peter he'd developed a style of his own that was proof of his blues feeling and technical skills. and not to forget: he was a wonderful singer.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well Chris is entitled to her opinion I guess, especially since she was around all those guys.

I actually found it rather touching that Jeremy and Danny got to meet up as recently as that. I doubt they jammed but it shows they were both back on earth in ways we didn't think possible back around 88/89.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 PM

Default No Grammys 2019 In Memory mention

Included in the memorium of those that have passed since the last Grammys, several obscure A&R people and record executives were named and shown, but no Danny Kirwan, a stellar singer-writer-guitarist. Lame.

My eulogy to Kirwan at Seattle Music & More:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mtheads/2018-rips-t2490.html#p19738
Old 02-14-2019, 10:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
Included in the memorium of those that have passed since the last Grammys, several obscure A&R people and record executives were named and shown, but no Danny Kirwan, a stellar singer-writer-guitarist. Lame.
That BLOWS.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick's tribute to Danny seems much more genuine. I wonder why he's not that sincere with Lindsey's near death.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Shame they couldn't honor someone who's in the R&R HoF.