The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[This is from an app review. The guy told the app that he liked Rolling Stones and Alan Jackson and it created a Lindsey Buckingham playlist for him. Now, I wish he had told us what the songs on that playlist were]

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/p...music/4430383/

Beats Music may cultivate – or rejuvenate – your love of recorded music.

And it could also press "Play" on a new wave of evolution in streaming music. The new service from Beats Electronics, the company best known for its Beats By Dr. Dre headphones, becomes available Jan. 21 ($10 monthly fee).

But I've had a chance to test-drive the still-in-beta testing mode service over the last few days – a full-fledged review will come closer to launch – and have to admit that I am smitten.

STORY: Beats Music banks on curation for streaming success

STORY: AT&T teams up for Beats Music family offering

Upon opening the app the first time, Beats Music asked for three favorite genres – choices include Pop, Rock, Country, Hip-hop, Blues – and three artists that you like or love – Rolling Stones, Alan Jackson, fun, for example – to provide some input for its music presentation algorithm.

Its resulting elegantly-designed entry screens on my IPhone 5s offered multiple opportunities for music discovery. Underneath the opening "Just For You" page. I find a Foo Fighters family tree playlist – complete with text introduction – and clickable albums such as General Public's All the Rage and Minus the Bear's Menos El Oso.

Scroll down a bit and you see a "Best of Lindsey Buckingham" playlist and a mix called "Sleek and Sexy Pre-Dinner Drinks with selections from Michael Jackson, Daft Punk, Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake and Lorde.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 01-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from Q & A with theater actors Danielle Hope and John Partridge]

What would your three Desert Island discs be?

DH: Ben Howard, Celine Dion, Kelly Clarkson

JP: Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush), Big Love (Fleetwood Mac), Changes (David Bowie).
Old 01-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ten Silly Predictions by Chris Gray of the Houston Press

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/..._for_sunda.php

We're going to get a really, really, really hard-rocking version of a hit from Rumours.

This week the Grammys announced that QOTSA -- who will be in Houston exactly two weeks after the show, February 9 at Bayou Music Center -- and Nine Inch Nails will make their Grammy performing debuts, closing the broadcast alongside Dave Grohl (who is on every year) and Lindsey Buckingham. So in our minds the only question is whether they lead into the local news with "Go Your Own Way" or "The Chain." We'd actually take both.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Well, someone noticed]

Slate's Mistakes for the Week

http://www.slate.com/articles/briefi...27.single.html

In a Jan. 27 Music Box, Carl Wilson described Jared Leto’s Dallas Buyers Club role as being a transvestite. Leto played a transgender woman. He also misspelled Lindsey Buckingham's first name.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an Australian interview with Haim]

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/2...or-themselves/

While they could all agree that Lindsey Buckingham's opening salvo on Rumours is a pretty rad song, don't ask the sisters - Este, 27, Danielle, 24, and Alana, 22 - for a favourite Beyonce track.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Excerpt from Seven Questions to Nora O'Connor, Chicago Magazine]

By By Erin Osmon 2/10/2014

http://www.chicagomag.com/arts-cultu...-Nora-OConnor/

What do you have planned for the rest of the month?

This week, I’ve put a band together and we’re going to perform the Buckingham Nicks record, which is one of my favorite records and a big undertaking because Lindsey Buckingham’s guitar playing is so insane. The week after that I’m going to have my band The Flat Five [a vocal-centric covers quintet that includes celebrated alt-country siren Kelly Hogan, Scott Ligon and Casey McDonough of the new NRBQ, and drummer Alex Hall who’s toured with Chuck Berry and Wanda Jackson] who usually play once or twice a year. The last week is a band called Precious Blood, which is myself and Danny Black, who I played with in The Blacks about 15 years ago, and his brother Kevin McDonough. That’s just a really super sexy blues kind of thing.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From the Superverbose blog by Paul O'Brien, 2/16/2014 He put together an annual Music Mix and this one included LB.

http://superverbose.wordpress.com/20...e-of-paradise/

8. Lindsey Buckingham – This Nearly Was Mine (instrumental)

I get impatient with a lot of Lindsey’s solo work lately, all breathy vocals and superfast virtuoso picking. It’s fine, but it gets pretty samey, especially compared with the record I see as his masterpiece, 1992′s Out Of The Cradle. That collection had some of his picking and sing-talking, but it also had fantastic pop songs like “Countdown” and “Don’t Look Down”, lovely ballads like “Surrender The Rain” and “All My Sorrows”, and beautiful instrumental passages like this one. I got the mp3 album from Amazon, burned it to CD last year, and spent some time reacquainting myself with it. “This Nearly Was Mine” is actually a Rodgers & Hammerstein tune, from South Pacific — it was a favorite of Lindsey’s dad, so it got included here as a kind of tribute. Lindsey’s treatment of it is uncharacteristically gentle — even his softest songs tend to have an aggressive edge to them, but not here. (Though the only link I can find is to a live version where he can’t help himself from slipping into virtuoso mode at one point.) He brings out the poignancy of the melody so much that I had to look up the lyrics, and having done so I decided to quote them for the title of this collection, promises of paradise kept, broken, and found at last.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a review of The Americans. Does Rhys look like LB?]

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/63517...eason-one-the/

That the show nails the emotional aspect of its stories should not suggest that The Americans skimps on genre thrills. The pilot episode immediately kicks off with a dose of sex and violence, as Elizabeth (in the first of many wigs we will see our spies sporting) seduces and then appears to go down on a potential source. Moments later, Philip is chasing a target down dark alleyways, culminating in a vicious hand-to-hand fight, scored to Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" (an oddly appropriate choice, since Rhys frequently seems to have been styled to play up his resemblance to early-'80s Lindsay Buckingham). Soon, Philip and Elizabeth are storing a defector in the trunk of their car, in their sedate suburban garage, while their kids Paige (Holly Taylor) and Henry (Keidrich Sellati) obliviously eat corn flakes a few hundred feet away.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Live radio show host in Ireland discusses highlights of his career]

http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifesty...ck-259564.html

Mario says the live shows are his favourite medium. Of his three career highpoints, just one is radio (the day he met Roy).]

The others are all stage — when Ian and himself turned around a live pre-Christmas show in a matter of weeks when Lindsey Buckingham pulled out of the Olympia (all the proceeds went to St Vincent De Paul).
Old 02-25-2014, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

From an interview with Meg Myers by Mike Ragogna:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-r...=Entertainment

MR: Which artists or bands inspired you?

Meg Myers: Mark Knofler, Lindsey Buckingham, Robert Plant, Sting, Ludovico, Trent Reznor, Jewel, Tracy Chapman, Joan Osborne, Sinead O'Connor, Enya, John Frusciante, Eric Clapton, James Taylor, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley and many more.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From a stuff.co.nz article on 10 Great Bands. I'm certain this will not sell you? Um, well, if it sounds like Law and Order it might not sell me, but if it sounds like Go Insane it would.]

Taranaki Daily News by Simon Sweetman 3/13/2014
http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dail...igger-audience

10. The War on Drugs: I arrived at this band via Kurt Vile. I'm sure many did. I particularly loved 2011's Slave Ambient. It took me a while to get my head around it. And I like that. As I finish writing this post up for today I'm listening again to the band's new one, Lost In The Dream. I'll have a review for you next week. It's both a continuation of the group's sound - hints of that languid, loping, liquid guitar sound, as on Slave Ambient, as Vile is still pursing in his own way too - and a strange, wonderful re-imagination of aspects of the 1980s. I'm certain this will not sell it for you, but several of the songs on the new album feel like they could be album tracks from Lindsey Buckingham's early solo records or the Fleetwood Mac of the 1980s. More than one song has the feel of Don Henley's Boys of Summer. I shouldn't like that. But I do. I really do. Have a listen to An Ocean In Between The Waves. Amazing. I'm hooked! It's taken me back to a band I already loved but at the same time it feels like something altogether different, a totally new sound with just hints and traces of the band's early ideas and Vile's too.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 AM
Junior Ledgie

So I'm a big fan of the Walking Dead and I noticed a couple tweets from a couple of actors on the show about their love for Lindsey Buckingham. Melissa McBride, who plays Carol on the show, tweeted to a fan about her shameless crush on (Lindsey) Buckingham.

https://twitter.com/mcbridemelissa/s...69842877931520

And last fall, the young actor on the show, Chandler Riggs, who plays Carl, tweeted to @Lndsybuckingham that his dad got the whole family loving Seeds We Sow and D.W. Suite.

https://twitter.com/ChandlerRiggs/st...56894331375616

Totally miscellaneous and random, but something I thought you'd all enjoy
Old 03-25-2014, 11:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's funny. Last season I immediately noticed the resemblance between Lindsey and Rhys, and kept thing he would be a great pick to play Lindsey if ever a movie is made about FM.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thought exactly the same thing.