User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Shocked you didn’t follow that up with a... “well I guess that makes her a perfect fit to replace Stevie” well it’s coming, so I’ll beat everyone to to it it!
Noooo... I love Belinda Carlisle LOL I can't help it!

And since I brought her up... just a few years ago, there was some controversy with the Go-Go's because 4 of the 5 band members fired bassist Kathy Valentine shortly before their farewell tour and replaced her with a studio musician. Now, I am a big Belinda Carlisle fan, as well as a big Go-Go's fan, but I was not pleased with the way they did that, it seemed greedy that they wanted to split the profits 4 ways instead of 5. So Kathy Valentine sued them, so they sued her. They claimed that she was fired because in 1984 or so, she wrote Vacation but Jane Wiedlin had to rewrite it, so she wasn't really an asset to the band! They also were supposedly angry because in her blog, Kathy repeated an oft-told tale about Belinda's drug dealer, only Kathy mentioned the dealer by name. Anyway, long story short, well after the farewell tour ended, they settled the suit and Kathy got a settlement. Horrible way to end their legacy, yes? Only guess what- now there's a musical being performed in San Francisco called Head Over Heels, featuring songs by the Go-Go's, and guess who co-wrote the song Head Over Heels? That's right, Kathy Valentine! So guess who's back in the Go-Go's for a limited run tour and all is forgiven LOL. That's right, Kathy Valentine! All it took to reunite all 5 Go-Go's was a potential financial windfall.

I bring this up because it is actually similar to what happened in FM, not that the Go-Go's were ever at that same level of fame or success FM had, but they were popular in their prime. Still, I was really annoyed that the 4 band members kicked Kathy out like that, and I also felt sorry for her because I didn't think she was a millionaire and probably really needed the income. But how did I respond to her firing? I didn't see the tour. I was going to, but after what happened, I changed my mind. But I didn't begrudge the other members, I didn't feel like someone had died, I didn't burn my Go-Go's cds, or my Belinda Carlisle cds, or even my Jane Wiedlin or Graces cds. Yes, just like I buy every CD by just about every member of FM (even Mick Fleetwood's Zoo, for God's sake!) I did the same for the Go-Go's.

I just thought I would share that little tidbit.

Last edited by bwboy; 05-25-2018 at 09:02 PM..
Old 05-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
Somewhere in Rock n' Roll Heaven Tom is shaking his head at all this and is grateful that he never caved and let Stevie join his band.
Dr. Brown just won the Interwebs.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
Somewhere in Rock n' Roll Heaven Tom is shaking his head at all this and is grateful that he never caved and let Stevie join his band.
Best post ever!
Old 05-25-2018, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Maybe Brandi Carlile but please no Belinda Carlile ...
Then Fleetwood Mac would have it's greatest vocalist ever.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
All this makes me wonder if Chris and Lindsey have spoken since everything went down. And if so, what was said. I finally watched the big interview the other day, and it was eye opening how very unamused Chris was. She’s always been the queen of cool & reserve (publicly). I’d hope Chris at least put in a conciliatory call to Lindsey.
What big interview? Link please?
Old 05-26-2018, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
What big interview? Link please?
Pretty that was a reference to the CBS interview.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-26-2018, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If Stevie had been fired, they would have just gone out as a quartet. Christine and Lindsey have enough hits and classics between them that there would have been no need to hire anyone else.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

I keep hoping that cooler heads and common sense will prevail, but it is probably too late for either now. If Christine were to exit - before tour or after the first (or only) round of scheduled dates - I would be very proud of her / respectful of her decision. This arrangement can't be easy on her.

Separately, I'm looking forward to future work from Lindsey. If he ends up touring himself - either as a one man show or with a band - I'll be there.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroxman View Post
I keep hoping that cooler heads and common sense will prevail, but it is probably too late for either now. If Christine were to exit - before tour or after the first (or only) round of scheduled dates - I would be very proud of her / respectful of her decision. This arrangement can't be easy on her.

Separately, I'm looking forward to future work from Lindsey. If he ends up touring himself - either as a one man show or with a band - I'll be there.
So any more news on whether Chris decided to stay or go?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-10-2018, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
If Stevie had been fired, they would have just gone out as a quartet. Christine and Lindsey have enough hits and classics between them that there would have been no need to hire anyone else.
No chance of that. Christine and Lindsey are mega-talents, but the band can't play arenas without Stevie. They would have to play theaters without Stevie. Any promoter will tell you that she's the star attraction.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No chance of that. Christine and Lindsey are mega-talents, but the band can't play arenas without Stevie. They would have to play theaters without Stevie. Any promoter will tell you that she's the star attraction.
Hence why I said “If.”

It’s really just the difference between Crosby, Stills, & Nash vs. Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young. No arenas, but still viable. And, because they wouldn’t be playing arenas, they would have significantly less overhead. So it could be a break even to slightly less profit for them.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-10-2018, 05:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hence why I said “If.”

It’s really just the difference between Crosby, Stills, & Nash vs. Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young. No arenas, but still viable. And, because they wouldn’t be playing arenas, they would have significantly less overhead. So it could be a break even to slightly less profit for them.
Wow ... we agree. Fleetwood Mac without Stevie is a 2500ish seat band. Still viable but more of mid-level classic rock outfit rather than an arena band that can highlight a festival.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow ... we agree. Fleetwood Mac without Stevie is a 2500ish seat band. Still viable but more of mid-level classic rock outfit rather than an arena band that can highlight a festival.
No doubt the exact reasoning Mi¢k had in his head when faced with a $tevie vs. Lindsey ultimatum.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hence why I said “If.”

plus, they are NOT selling out arenas now, even though they are trying really hard, and i guess will probably will be mostly successful by the show time. with a few convenient cancellations and closings of the arena top levels (something that never happened on their last 3 tours).

and BuckVie were selling sheds, not theaters.

so promoters' and Mick's calculations misfired so far.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"