Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Protesters ask Clinton to iron shirts

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080108/...linton_laundry

SALEM, N.H. - Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign stop was interrupted Monday when two men stood in the crowd and began screaming, "Iron my shirt!" during one of her final appearances before the New Hampshire primary.

Clinton, a former first lady running to become the nation's first female president, laughed at the seemingly sexist protest that suggested a woman's place is doing the laundry and not running the country.

"Ah, the remnants of sexism — alive and well," Clinton said to applause in a school auditorium.

The two men were removed from the hall after raising a pair of signs that said, "Iron my shirt!" They also shouted the same slogan.

"Can we turn the lights on? It's awfully dark," Clinton said, cueing the lights to come and police to come forward to take the men away.

The overflow crowd burst into applause and some began shouting, "Iron my shirt" as the two were taken from the hall.

"As I think has been abundantly demonstrated, I am also running to break through the highest and hardest glass ceiling," she said.

Clinton later joked about the incident as she invited questions.

"If there's anyone left in the auditorium who wants to learn how to iron a shirt, I'll talk about that," she said with a smile.

Clinton placed a disappointing third place in Iowa's caucuses last week and faces a tough challenge in Tuesday's primary from Barack Obama, who leads her with just one day remaining.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The press is running this election by creating sensationalism every five minutes. The states that count (NY, FL, CA, PA, IL, etc. ) for far more are not for awhile. So, we shall see.

Having said that, Obama is making a good show and is not a bad candidate. In the end, I still think she is far from out of the race. I wonder how much longer Edwards can hang on. He hasn't much money compared to Hillary and Obama.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080108/...linton_laundry

SALEM, N.H. - Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign stop was interrupted Monday when two men stood in the crowd and began screaming, "Iron my shirt!" during one of her final appearances before the New Hampshire primary.

Clinton, a former first lady running to become the nation's first female president, laughed at the seemingly sexist protest that suggested a woman's place is doing the laundry and not running the country.

"Ah, the remnants of sexism — alive and well," Clinton said to applause in a school auditorium.

The two men were removed from the hall after raising a pair of signs that said, "Iron my shirt!" They also shouted the same slogan.

"Can we turn the lights on? It's awfully dark," Clinton said, cueing the lights to come and police to come forward to take the men away.

The overflow crowd burst into applause and some began shouting, "Iron my shirt" as the two were taken from the hall.

"As I think has been abundantly demonstrated, I am also running to break through the highest and hardest glass ceiling," she said.

Clinton later joked about the incident as she invited questions.

"If there's anyone left in the auditorium who wants to learn how to iron a shirt, I'll talk about that," she said with a smile.

Clinton placed a disappointing third place in Iowa's caucuses last week and faces a tough challenge in Tuesday's primary from Barack Obama, who leads her with just one day remaining.

Wow. I hate to say but I still find it hard to believe that sexism and racism are still alive and well in our country. Will it ever die?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998 View Post
Will it ever die?
Not until we find a way to prevent certain types of individuals from breeding.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
The press is running this election by creating sensationalism every five minutes. The states that count (NY, FL, CA, PA, IL, etc. ) for far more are not for awhile. So, we shall see.

Having said that, Obama is making a good show and is not a bad candidate. In the end, I still think she is far from out of the race. I wonder how much longer Edwards can hang on. He hasn't much money compared to Hillary and Obama.
Well, Bill lost both Iowa and NH in '92, and I read that he was actually polling in the single digits at one point. I'm still thinking it'll wind up being Hillary v. McCain or maybe Guiliani, though I'm not surprised at Huckabee's sudden leap to front-runner status - the evangelicals certainly weren't going to get behind Romney or Guiliani.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^

Re the D's -- Exactly.

Also, I'd shocked shiitteless if the R's nomintated Guiliani as is multiple divorcee, he lived in sin in the apartment of two fags in a committed relationship, and he likes fags and killing babies - which don't fly with the crazy Christians who are the R party now. His only place to hang his hat is on 9/11 and he has not played that card, yet. But, when he does, he all for the war in Iraq and many voters are not.

Romney is a religious freak as far as they are concerned.

So, I am just not seeing either one of those happening. But, who knows as the this is very, very early on.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 01-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
If you could find a way to do that, I would vote for you!
Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
If you could find a way to do that, I would vote for you!
tee hee...
I have an old friend I grew up with (old meaning I refuse to speak to him anymore) who when he found out his girlfriend was pregnant with a girl, beat the hell out of her. What an ass.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^^^

Re the D's -- Exactly.

Also, I'd shocked shiitteless if the R's nomintated Guiliani as is multiple divorcee, he lived in sin in the apartment of two fags in a committed relationship, and he likes fags and killing babies - which don't fly with the crazy Christians who are the R party now. His only place to hang his hat is on 9/11 and he has not played that card, yet. But, when he does, he all for the war in Iraq and many voters are not.

Romney is a religious freak as far as they are concerned.

So, I am just not seeing either one of those happening. But, who knows as the this is very, very early on.
I dunno if I'd be shocked, exactly, but it does seem like Guiliani might be circling the drain. The best thing I can say about McCain getting elected is that, given his age, it will likely be a one-term presidency. But something tells me John Paul Stevens won't make it that long.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand I don't think that Hillary is getting the fairest treatment from the press, who seem to be falling all over themselves to anoint Obama. On the other hand, I'm reminded of 1992, when Clinton & Gore campaigned as the "new generation." I was 22 at the time & part of their target audience, but I was disgusted that they kept on painting all their rivals and opponents as a bunch of old farts/Washington insiders. The two of them kept on falling back on that new generation catch-phrase, & the media ate it up. Now that Obama is using a similar tactic against Hillary, Bill is crying unfair.
That having been said, every time they count Hillary as down & out, I remember how everyone was sure that Tsongas would win the nom months into '92. As others have posted, it's too early to be confident in who the picks will be.
I still don't rule out the possibility that it will be Edwards vs. McCain. (Not that it's what I want.)

- Jake
Old 01-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
I dunno if I'd be shocked, exactly, but it does seem like Guiliani might be circling the drain. The best thing I can say about McCain getting elected is that, given his age, it will likely be a one-term presidency. But something tells me John Paul Stevens won't make it that long.
McCain sure is looking hunched over these days, making me wonder if he can carry a general election in the land where style over substance usually carries the day. (Most) Americans like old people who appear to defy their age, like Reagan. (No wonder we're in such a mess.)

- Jake
Old 01-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Edwards sure seems to be campaigning to be Obama's VP. If Hillary gets knocked out or Obama falters, maybe Edwards will get tougher on him.

- Jake
Old 01-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

If Edwards drops out there is little doubt that most of his supporters will flock to Obama ...I find Hillary's latest tactics to smack of desperation ie. pretending to stifle sobs and bringing out Bubba to attack Obama as if he is the candidate again ..I predict she is going to go down hard tonight in NH.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish Edwards would win it. Obama is a little too slick and manufactured looking for my taste.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wish Edwards would win it. Obama is a little too slick and manufactured looking for my taste.
And a 300 dollar prefectly coiffed hair-do isn't slick?