Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless-Child View Post
Deliciously harsh . B.
It's a little less delicious when it's directed at you, and your crime was paying someone a compliment.

I'm also a little confused on what you found disturbing about this thread. You mention the "ones who are beautiful or think they are." Hi. My name's Marissa. I'm the only one who placed herself as attractive, so if you're going to talk about me, address me directly. I never said that I was beautiful, I said I was pretty, but the former is probably true on a good day, too, sure, so I'll own it.

Now, as your apparent resident beautiful girl in this thread, let's talk about what's disturbing about my posts. Is it disturbing that I recognize this as a trait that I have? I hope not. If it is, it's also disturbing that I like to think about myself as caring and intelligent. Is it disturbing because, since you are able to analyse behaviors, and you can't place yourself in either catorgory, I shouldn't be able to either?

Well, ask me the last time I went to a cafe and paid full price, or, most often, paid at all, for my coffee. Ask me how many people have asked for my number recently. Or, better yet, ask me how comfortable it is to walk down a street alone, how many friends I have who haven't tried to be more than that, and if people have a tendency to disregard the things that I say, whether they be...I don't know...compliments or work strategies, because of the way I look. If I couldn't form some sort of conclusion based on that, I would be a complete idiot. I'm not. I'm sorry genetics were kind to me there, too.
You're so like me

Last edited by LikeAWillow; 07-19-2010 at 01:35 PM..
Old 07-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post

But deep down inside them, I bet they wish they were you

HMMmmmm!!!! Could BE-eeee!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lightbulb

I feel that I would be sorely remiss in my duties as the Ghost_Tracker if I didn't mention one Miss Stephanie Lynn Nicks, of the Phoenix, Arizona Nickses.

(She's a Singer/Songwriter who has aspirations of writing a coffee-table book one day.)
Old 07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
It's a little less delicious when it's directed at you, and your crime was paying someone a compliment.

I'm also a little confused on what you found disturbing about this thread. You mention the "ones who are beautiful or think they are." Hi. My name's Marissa. I'm the only one who placed herself as attractive, so if you're going to talk about me, address me directly. I never said that I was beautiful, I said I was pretty, but the former is probably true on a good day, too, sure, so I'll own it.

Now, as your apparent resident beautiful girl in this thread, let's talk about what's disturbing about my posts. Is it disturbing that I recognize this as a trait that I have? I hope not. If it is, it's also disturbing that I like to think about myself as caring and intelligent. Is it disturbing because, since you are able to analyse behaviors, and you can't place yourself in either catorgory, I shouldn't be able to either?

Well, ask me the last time I went to a cafe and paid full price, or, most often, paid at all, for my coffee. Ask me how many people have asked for my number recently. Or, better yet, ask me how comfortable it is to walk down a street alone, how many friends I have who haven't tried to be more than that, and if people have a tendency to disregard the things that I say, whether they be...I don't know...compliments or work strategies, because of the way I look. If I couldn't form some sort of conclusion based on that, I would be a complete idiot. I'm not. I'm sorry genetics were kind to me there, too.
I know. i'm sorry. I guess i think i'm the other category, and i thought i should act this way. Then again, it's disturbing for me, and i won't post here anymore, since i'm biased and i don't know how to think. Damn, not clear, but it's clear for me.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I'm sorry, but it's always been a problem for me, you know, self image and self esteem. I know that i'm not the ugliest person in the world, but i look at myself in a mirror, i can't help but think "oh god, what's that?". So that's disturbing for me. I think it has a lot to do with my teenage years : i don't know if i'm in one category, objectively, or in the other one. People here seem to know who they are, and i'm a bit confused, that's why i think this way. I don't find it disturbing that you know that you're beautiful, and you objectively are, but it's disturbing not to know where you actually are. i mean myself. I can't make myself clear, and i didn't want to offend anyone. And what "golddustsongbird" said is still for me, funny and harsh, because of the situation, and not because of you. i don't have the time to think about it now, but i guess i'll post something more intelligent later.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know. i'm sorry. I guess i think i'm the other category, and i thought i should act this way. Then again, it's disturbing for me, and i won't post here anymore, since i'm biased and i don't know how to think. Damn, not clear, but it's clear for me.
We're cool, man. This is obviously a touchy subject for me, too. Don't stop posting, just don't expect to take shots at me without me firing back.
You're so like me
Old 07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We're cool, man. This is obviously a touchy subject for me, too. Don't stop posting, just don't expect to take shots at me without me firing back.
Oh God, Marissa, i'm ok with people knowing that they're beautiful, i'd love to be one of them. Everyone knows that you're beautiful. Lisa finds herself ugly. Well, the disturbing part for me is : which one is right about their visions of beauty, and everything ? I don't judge anyone. I just don't know who's right about all of this . God, being french is hard, i don't know how to make myself clear. i'm sorry. I seriously won't post here anymore.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh God, Marissa, i'm ok with people knowing that they're beautiful, i'd love to be one of them. Everyone knows that you're beautiful. Lisa finds herself ugly. Well, the disturbing part for me is : which one is right about their visions of beauty, and everything ? I don't judge anyone. I just don't know who's right about all of this . God, being french is hard, i don't know how to make myself clear. i'm sorry. I seriously won't post here anymore.
I'm about to PM you, but really, I'm only going to be mad at you if you do stop posting because of this. I mean, as great for my ego as it would be for you to leave because of the way I look (joke kids, that was a joke), it's a pretty bad reason to give up a message board.

DON'T LEAVE.
You're so like me
Old 07-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm about to PM you, but really, I'm only going to be mad at you if you do stop posting because of this. I mean, as great for my ego as it would be for you to leave because of the way I look (joke kids, that was a joke), it's a pretty bad reason to give up a message board.

DON'T LEAVE.
you're crazy.
Ooh, no, I meant on this thread girl. I'm not THAT touchy !
Old 07-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you're crazy.
Ooh, no, I meant on this thread girl. I'm not THAT touchy !

Well gosh. Now I'm the one with the low self esteem because I didn't drive you away.
You're so like me
Old 07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well gosh. Now I'm the one with the low self esteem because I didn't drive you away.
Shut up !
Old 07-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Obviously I don't need to speak for SleeplessChild, but what I said in my other reply stands: It's fine for people to know what they are. Smiley face aside, self-awareness isn't a crime. It's a double edged sword: If you say you're attractive, then the knee jerk reaction from some people is that you must be conceited. Downplaying it might make people think you are truly not aware of what you are (thus, maybe dumb?), or it might aggravate them even more if they think you're playing dumb.

Alternately, if someone comes out and says they're ugly or that they feel that way, it's almost guaranteed that someone will try to dissuade them. So... looking at it like that, if you want to be black and white about it, then it seems no one can comment on their own appearance. I don't believe that, but you can't expect discussions about this without amounts of emotion coming into play.

in the same vein, I'd have to be an idiot to think I was attractive. I don't want to be the ugly girl with the inflated ego. That's as bad as a gorgeous one who purposely uses her looks to her advantage every chance she gets.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
Alternately, if someone comes out and says they're ugly or that they feel that way, it's almost guaranteed that someone will try to dissuade them. So... looking at it like that, if you want to be black and white about it, then it seems no one can comment on their own appearance. I don't believe that, but you can't expect discussions about this without amounts of emotion coming into play.
I think it's interesting that you see that as a negative and (seemingly) as lying. I understand being objective, especially in a thread like this, but at the same time, most people do have something about them that's objectively physically pretty, whether it's good arms or eyebrows or a smile. Would you think it was wrong for someone to say to an unattractive person something like "No, you're not hideous, you have such a great ____ ?" I'm actually asking, by the way, that isn't rhetorical. I don't think that people who give out compliments to people who aren't Miss America are necessairly being patronizing.
You're so like me
Old 07-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think it's interesting that you see that as a negative and (seemingly) as lying. I understand being objective, especially in a thread like this, but at the same time, most people do have something about them that's objectively physically pretty, whether it's good arms or eyebrows or a smile. Would you think it was wrong for someone to say to an unattractive person something like "No, you're not hideous, you have such a great ____ ?" I'm actually asking, by the way, that isn't rhetorical. I don't think that people who give out compliments to people who aren't Miss America are necessairly being patronizing.
Not in the least. Honestly? I'm having a hard time explaining this because I only apply it to myself. I don't hold anyone to the standards I hold myself to, thank god. I don't think it's wrong to really compliment someone. And it isn't wrong to accept one. Speaking only for myself, though, sometimes a compliment that focuses on that single thing is actually harder to take, because it's one thing. It's not like, "you're 100% pretty" it's "well... your hair is nice." See what I mean?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldustsongbird View Post
It's not like, "you're 100% pretty" it's "well... your hair is nice." See what I mean?
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I thank god pretty isn't usually judged on a 100% basis, though. Me and my too-big-at-the-tip nose and too-small-at-the-everywhere chest would definitely be out
You're so like me