The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Peter's playing reflects his personality.
He is a grown up man now, not a young lad like in the 60s, dammit!!
He is not supposed to play the same way as he did back then ... no one should have to do that! And the true artists never do! They change ... develope...

I see Peter's different playing styles as developement. When he started playing again in 1996, he stated that he discovered new "things" that he'd never known with Fleetwood Mac. Contrary to most other veteran players, Peter hasn't stuck to "the good ole formula".. ("That worked, let's stick to it...") At the end of his time with Kolors, he stopped bending the notes ... for more emotional impact. And in a way I follow him! I mean, with the limitation of not being "allowed" to bend the strings, you really have to think about what you're playing!!

And just listen to his playing in recent years. It is much more experimental that what he did with Fleetwood Mac!!! I listen to it again and again, and I become more and more amazed......

The same thing goes for his singing. Compare his singing on "Man Of The World" and say... "Cruel Contradictions", and tell me which of them has the more emotional singing ???

Any critic or music reporter who doesn't understand this, should get another job.

Last edited by dansven; 10-20-2006 at 08:34 AM..
Old 10-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I'd say Peter played great for most of the Splinter gigs, maybe not the very early ones.
If you look at the videos, you can still see his natural ease with a guitar.
His attitude is probably that he doesn't want to be a flash guitar hero
and play the solos he played to death 30 years ago.
I'm not saying the Splinter era brought out the best in him, but it sure
looks like he knew what he was doing.
Music writers seldom like change...
I find I can usually quite easily pick out Peter's playing in the Splinter recordings. It is elegant and tasteful, not flashy. Of course, I think he was always tasteful. He never played 2 notes when one would do. Some 60s era lead players tried to play as many notes as they could. flashy, yes. tasteful, no.
real critics have a right to express their opinions. However, they usually do so with an explanation of why they feel that way. Then the reader can decide if the premise upon which the review is based is valid. Don;t recall see that in the reviews in question.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:25 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
I'd say Peter played great for most of the Splinter gigs, maybe not the very early ones.
If you look at the videos, you can still see his natural ease with a guitar.
His attitude is probably that he doesn't want to be a flash guitar hero
and play the solos he played to death 30 years ago.
I'm not saying the Splinter era brought out the best in him, but it sure
looks like he knew what he was doing.
Music writers seldom like change...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
He is not supposed to play the same way as he did back then ... no one should have to do that! And the true artists never do! They change ... develope...

I see Peter's different playing styles as developement. When he started playing again in 1996, he stated that he discovered new "things" that he'd never known with Fleetwood Mac. Contrary to most other veteran players, Peter hasn't stuck to "the good ole formula".. ("That worked, let's stick to it...") At the end of his time with Kolors, he stopped bending the notes ... for more emotional impact. And in a way I follow him! I mean, with the limitation of not being "allowed" to bend the strings, you really have to think about what you're playing!!

And just listen to his playing in recent years. It is much more experimental that what he did with Fleetwood Mac!!! I listen to it again and again, and I become more and more amazed......

The same thing goes for his singing. Compare his singing on "Man Of The World" and say... "Cruel Contradictions", and tell me which of them has the more emotional singing ???

Any critic or music reporter who doesn't understand this, should get another job.

Amen, said better than I could have.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:41 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post

Yeah but are we talking about a concious decision to play differently, or a style change that was just part of Peter's saga? He did say that he had to re-learn to play. I agree wholeheartedly that the man still has taste and style - but how many of us would give anything to see him come out and rip through a version of "Oh Well" circa 1969?

Clapton still does what he does best, and that works fine for me.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:11 AM
Ledgie

Default evolution

Some Performers get a "pass" just for being on stage. I do not know what critics thought of the Cream reunion. I was aghast at the ticket price for Madison Square Garden so I bought the Albert hall DVD. I preface this next comment as being a Clapton fan, but what struck me the most was the lack of enthusiasm and fire. I ended up deciding that of all people on the stage Jack Bruce might have been the only one exuding life on the stage.

Music is life. If you don't put it in your music whats the point?

To me , that is what Peter is.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Yeah but are we talking about a concious decision to play differently, or a style change that was just part of Peter's saga? He did say that he had to re-learn to play. I agree wholeheartedly that the man still has taste and style - but how many of us would give anything to see him come out and rip through a version of "Oh Well" circa 1969?

Clapton still does what he does best, and that works fine for me.
Personally I'd never compare EC and Peter. Both are "guitar heros" yeah, but they are totally different kinds of performers... Clapton, great though, gives the audience what they want.

I'd rather compare Greeny to Dylan! Dylan is no guitar icon, but they've both developed. Are we talking about a concious decision to sing and play differently, when it comes to Dylan?? To me that question doesn't really matter...

But I don't think the reason is that Peter is not able to play like he did before... I think his Splinter Group version of "Going Down" is pretty much as fiery as what he did in the 60s... What I find is that he generally has a more "mellow" approach to the music nowadays. His guitar sound tends to be more sweet and not so harsh anymore (with a few exceptions).

When it comes to "Oh Well"... Yeah, and I'd love even more to see him finally get to perform "Oh Well" PART 2 live!!! That would have been something!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Ledgie

Default fire

can never really compare musicians. It is unfair to them as well as the discussion. Although it is the nature of people to judge against something.

To me Peter Greens playing is "of the moment" and in context to the surrounding musical texture. The very essence of improvisation. That his style has changed over time is natural evolution. I know he will never play "Ive got a mind to give up living" like he did back in his youth. But the passion is still there. Yes, he is and icon. I do not think that he would ever want to be seen as someone else than himself in the here and now. I do not know who would really like it. (egoists not included)
Old 10-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryellen healy View Post
can never really compare musicians. It is unfair to them as well as the discussion. Although it is the nature of people to judge against something.

To me Peter Greens playing is "of the moment" and in context to the surrounding musical texture. The very essence of improvisation. That his style has changed over time is natural evolution. I know he will never play "Ive got a mind to give up living" like he did back in his youth. But the passion is still there. Yes, he is and icon. I do not think that he would ever want to be seen as someone else than himself in the here and now. I do not know who would really like it. (egoists not included)
I totally agree. Unfortunately nostalgia has something to do with it.
I wasn't born even in the 60's, but I would think some of the people that went to see Splinter Group wanted top hear
the old hits. Especially those who saw Mac in concert during the late 60's era.
That's difficult for any creative musician, as we have seen in many cases (Hendrix, for example).

Like Dylan - I've heard complaints from those who were around in the 60's.
They want to hear the same vocal phrasing as on the records!
So maybe they should stay at home and listen to the RECORD instead...
Old 10-24-2006, 04:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Unfortunately nostalgia has something to do with it.
I wasn't born even in the 60's
Being from 1951, I wasn't born in the 60's either.
On the other hand, nostalgia isn't anymore as it used to be
Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Ledgie

I wasn't trying to actually compare Peter to Eric as guitar players. I was pointing out the difference in the way they are today relative to their past.
Clapton has been through many changes over the years, but not too far from what he's always been - a blues player. And he's still humble about the whole "guitar hero" thing. He still points to the great bluemen of yesteryear as the reason he does what he does, and where he gets the playing from.

I think Peter seemed to have that feeling even deeper than Eric. Especially when EC got into Cream. I love that story about the psycadelic Eric telling the bluejeaned Peter backstage that he'll never be "big" dressed like he was.
I was just asking weather Peter's "growth" as a musician was because he simply evolved as he got older - or as a result of the demons and issues he has been through.
I'm still not as well versed in Greeny's story as many of you. I'm still a bit of a rookie. I have that Splinter concert DVD and although Peter is great to watch, and plays some fine guitar, there is no trace of that awesome fire that he displayed back in time. That's not meant as a put-down at all. As I watch that DVD I find it wonderful to see him making music and feeling the positive feedback from the audience. I can't tell though if he is really, REALLY having fun. I hope so.

I could never really understand why it becomes a burden for a performer to give the people what they want. Clapton for instance is a lead guitarist first and foremost. And people love to see him play that Strat. Fortunately, he loves to play the Strat. So it's a very happy marriage. I can see a certain song becoming a bit worn out. But to not give the fans at least a "taste" of what they bought your music for, and what they are fans of you for, then that doesn't seem right alltogether.
Can you imagine Fleetwood Mac doing a tour tomorrow and not doing anything off of "Rumors".

BTW - I thought that the Cream reunion was fantastic.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Ledgie

Default Show Biz Blues

There is a tightrope that every entertainers has to walk. Some Performers embrace things that they were famous for . Others play a few as a begrudging bone to the audience. Some performers don't give a S__t what the audience wants to hear. As an act, it only works if the audience is receptive and the music can transcend it. From a bystander in obseving what has happened with Peter Green, it appears that he loves to play in front of anaudience. Hehas been damaged physicly and mentally by time, hte music Business and his own personal demons. As a fan I have come to appreciate what he does in whatever form it has taken. I have kept coming back for more.

I have followed Eric Clapton sisnce the Yardbirds. I have also weathered him playing in a stupor flat on his back on stage.

As a musician I can only say that I am unlucky enough not to have an "Albatross" around my neck. My spouse is not so unlucky and does have to perforrm the song they come to hear.

I wish Pete would play stuff from way back like Jeff beck can still do better than he used to. OH well
Old 10-27-2006, 07:49 PM
Ledgie

Default Spelling

I also wish I would proofread these more often and hit spellcheck befor I hit reply

sorry