Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default On With The Show & Carnival Begin

Does anyone else think the reason these songs aren't being played on the Buckingham/Mcvie tour, Is because both Chris and Linds have negotiated that the both be played on the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour?

It makes sense that they would give Stevie Stand back back into the set and Chris and Lindsey ask for these two songs.

Thoughts.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Ha Ha
I don't think Christine and Lindsey would "negotiate" any song they wanted to play live.
I would love it but I don't think they will do any Buck/McVie songs on the Mac tour.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm hoping they put Hold Me in the Fleetwood Mac set next year, to replace Think About Me.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:59 AM
Senior Ledgie

Heart

I love this idea. Stevie belongs on these songs.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

They might be difficult to perform live. Carnival Begin has a lot of aural textures that could be tough to duplicate or approximate live. On with the Show has A LOT of repetitions at the end that could be difficult to sing.

Who knows?

I'd welcome either or both of them into their set, as they are my favorite songs on the album.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
They might be difficult to perform live. Carnival Begin has a lot of aural textures that could be tough to duplicate or approximate live. On with the Show has A LOT of repetitions at the end that could be difficult to sing.

Who knows?

I'd welcome either or both of them into their set, as they are my favorite songs on the album.
They're already playing with karaoke tracks, so the textures aren't an issue.

OWTS is my FAVORITE song on BV. I can't believe they decided to not do it!
Old 08-11-2017, 12:04 PM

I don't think so. But, I wish they would change their mind and play these two songs. I love both of them.
Old 08-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think Chris at this point could hit the "I want it all" note convincingly live unfortunately. That could be the reason for that song. OWTS would be a great FM addition though.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OWTS would've been a very welcome addition to the set list. It's my favorite song on the new cd. But I think in Lindsey's mind it's more relative to FM. OWTS would be a cool song for them to do on the next Mac tour. Here's hoping.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Better chance of seeing them on the second leg.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
Does anyone else think the reason these songs aren't being played on the Buckingham/Mcvie tour, Is because both Chris and Linds have negotiated that the both be played on the upcoming Fleetwood Mac tour?

It makes sense that they would give Stevie Stand back back into the set and Chris and Lindsey ask for these two songs.

Thoughts.
This thought had crossed my mind at one point, and not because I would like to hear Stevie sing on them (although I'd be fine if she did; it just wasn't my motivation). But I don't think they will. I think if they cut ISA they could do Carnival (which is my fave on the album) but playing them both, even if they were spread out in the set, would highlight just how similar they are. And Lindsey ain't gonna cut ISA at this point; it's his Rhiannon or GDW or whatever if you know what I mean.

I agree in some ways it would be challenging live-- Lindsey and Chris harmonizing on the main melody (and his voice and hers are very digitally tweaked on those) as well as getting all those layers of backing vocals (though they certainly have plenty of people singing with them onstage live and could do a decent job of it I think) and as Homer points out, they use plenty of pre recorded tracks (though not as much with FM shows as far as I can tell-- they just add more and more additional vocalists-- the 2 or 3 of Stevie's girls, then Brett and Neale on top of the 3 band members -- that's 7-8 people FFS).. And I believe (I don't have the album handy) John and Mick were at least on the Carnival recording so it would make sense.... but they won't do it.

I'm speculating that On With the Show was intended for a new FM album that Lindsey was hoping the 4-some would do before the last tour-- and when it didn't get recorded they still stuck with the name OWTS for the tour itself. (Or maybe it's politics-- with him wanting a tour named for one of his songs after a previous tour wasnamed for a Stevie song -- SYW-- and his people/he wanted equal time?? who knows with this bunch; nothing would surprise me). It at least explains where that tour name came from.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 08-12-2017 at 01:24 PM..
Old 08-19-2017, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think if they cut ISA they could do Carnival (which is my fave on the album) but playing them both, even if they were spread out in the set, would highlight just how similar they are. And Lindsey ain't gonna cut ISA at this point; it's his Rhiannon or GDW or whatever if you know what I mean.
Sadly, I think you're right. I would love to hear Stevie on Carnival Begin though. Stevie/Christine harmonies seem so rare but I thought of Stevie when I first heard this song. It's my favorite on the album. I wish they would play it live!
Old 08-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post

Thoughts.
If any songs from Buckingham/McVie album are to be included in Fleetwood Mac Live 2018 (I don't think they will have a tour name this time) then On With the Show and Carnival Begin are the only choices that make perfect sense. I was actually going to start a thread on this exact topic before I saw you had beat me to it.

On With the Show was the inspiration for the title of the tour in 2014/2015, before the song had even been released Christine had fallen in love with it and I assume Stevie heard it too (as there were rumours it was slated to be part of the setlist but got canned last minute)...so they named the tour On With the Show.

Carnival Begin is very clearly and openly about Christine conquering her fear of flying and rejoining Fleetwood Mac.

So the two songs and their themes fit the band's history very well.

I would, if there were betting markets on this, bet that at least one of the two new songs mentioned above will be played in 2018 live, by Fleetwood Mac.

Stevie can have Stand Back but I sincerely hope she writes a new song as well. I heard rumours she wrote one new song a couple of years back called My Mother's Rings...if she doesn't want to play that, she can update Space Needle and sing it instead.