The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2003, 10:48 AM

Default Lindsey gets credit

The Uncut review credits Lindsey's songs with making the new album great.

Will our man finally get his due?
Old 04-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After my ticket fiasco this morning ($#@!$# COMPUTER!! LOL), this made my day....but I think Lindsey's songs have ALWAYS gotten good reviews from critics....it's the friggin general public who doesn't "get it"!!!!! I heard a clip of WTWCT on FM.com last night and WOW....that song will probably be the next "Big Love"-type of song where he does it acoustically...because it sounded AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2003, 11:41 AM

Nah, I think that will be on one of the rocking songs during the concert. But you'll have to tell me, Christy, because I'm not going. I still think it is more similar to Go Your Own Way than Big Love. He uses some of the same bar chords with exactly the same guitar tone as Go Your Own Way. And the acoustic strum is very similar to Go Your Own Way. About the only thing that is Big Love-ish is the arpeggio.

Great song, regardless.

Now, let's get the general public to wake up, huh?
Old 04-04-2003, 02:01 PM

Question: Before you saw the clip at Fleetwoodmac.com, did anyone think those picking sounds Lindsey was making on the Rennaissance guitar were coming from a synthesizer?

I did.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Lindsey gets credit

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
The Uncut review credits Lindsey's songs with making the new album great.

Will our man finally get his due?
Well I think it all comes back to the outstanding nature of the GOS tracks. In particular: Red Rover, Come, Shuffle Riff, DOR, Say Goodbye ...

In this album (and hopefully the next FM-nouveau album) we're getting treated to the best work Lindsey has ever done. And it would appear Lindsey, us, and the critics would agree.

And with the backing band of Fleetwood Mac, the opportunity for these songs to claim success in a wider public field is as amplified as the third chorus on Come!
Old 04-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Question: Before you saw the clip at Fleetwoodmac.com, did anyone think those picking sounds Lindsey was making on the Rennaissance guitar were coming from a synthesizer?

I did.
Yes it sounds indeed like a synth. This is a renaissance guitar? I didn't know that. What do you think about the voice. I think it's atypical, Lindsey sings it like he would do it on stage except of parts of the refrain where the usual voice machine does an alteration. The verses seem to be without that and that shows how his voice has changed. It`s interesting. Remember how he sounds f.e. on Say goodbye from the GOS sessions. Completely different- he must have used the voice machine there. This one has more this Monday morning- live approach.
Old 04-06-2003, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I did.
Do you mean those individual "plucking of the string" sounds..? Or do you mean that very "synth sounding" sound underlying his guitar playing? In the first half of that clip where it's just him and his guitar, I can't tell whether he is playing and singing over a pre-recorded synth section generating those broad synth sounds, or if he is using one of those new style synth pads...? It would be really cool if he is using of those to generate that backing....they use clever delay systems to back the guitar melody (live) with synth chords (usually used in conjunction with a volume pedal and twin amps for control) - perfectly demonstrated by David Gilmour's acoustic, solo take on Shine On during his Meltdown concert.

Last edited by seteca; 04-07-2003 at 11:24 AM..
Old 04-07-2003, 11:10 AM

Seteca, I just assumed he had plugged in the guitar to a synth pad to get that sound. I'll have to go listen to it again. In the final arrangement, that Renaissance picking sounds like a synthesizer, which provides a nice counterpoint to the power chords and the open-chord strum.

I think this is pretty much a no-frills rocker that the band will use in concert to blast the roof off.

Now, and I hate to be critical again, the drumming here seems a little bit lackluster too. Maybe it's the quality of the audio files, but on most songs I've heard it sounds like Mick keeps doing the same tom/snare beat -- a basic 4/4. What happened to the innovative drumming of Go Your Own Way and Tusk?
Old 04-15-2003, 10:06 AM

By the way, the word is "SUNS" not "SONS" in Peacekeeper. Now we know.

I am relieved.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:25 AM

Can't wait to see what Guitar World says about our hero.

Will I resist heading down to the newstand before lunch time?
Old 05-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Ledgie

Wink Lindseys get credit

Guys and gals,
don't normally post on the board but I am REALLY glad to read so many positive post about Lindsey! I usually go to the Rumors board and lately I have read so not so good things about L. B. I am a huge Buckingham fan. ALL of his stuff is great! I guess I don't have much to add to this post topic but dammit I just wanted to give kudos to those who recognize Lindsey!! Personally, its seems that Lindsey got the ball rollling on this project. Right? They say Lindsey is a little left of center but, hell, look at the sh$#t he has gone throught being in F.m. who wouldn't be a little off.......!!!

THANKS FOR LINDSEY AND HIS MUSIC!!!
ps. great to read the pro Lindsey post.... Carne Vaca and others!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Baugh...

Yeah, it's been hard to read some of the...not so much anti-Lindsey or Lindsey bashing, but not so nice things about him on the Rumours board. I HATE the Stevie vs. Lindsey BS...but everyone is entitled to their OPINIONS.

ANYWHO...the man is AWESOME, he IS Fleetwood Mac, regardless of what people say. He gave them their sound!! His guitaring abilities leave me in tears and speechless. His lyrics are from another place...can't be explained really. HE brought me to FM, and I cannot thank him enough in my posts....his music, his guitar, his voice, his presence in FM...everything touches my life!! Music has been a driving force in my life since I was a child, and in my 27 years, I have NEVER, EVER been touched my an artist so deeply.

I can honestly say, if I were a man, I'd wanna be Lindsey Buckingham!!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:08 AM

Christy, I suspect a lot of people are going to come away from the shows awestruck at the man. Stevie is basically a stage prop standing next to him. When the Dance came out, Lindsey got a lot of attention. I felt that at last he was being noticed for his amazing stage presence. Then he disappeared, while Stevie wisely capitalized on that tour's success.

I suspect you will see a lot of people who don't care for Lindsey's songs on the new album begin to change their minds as they see him on stage.

His Out of the Cradle show that I caught at the Paradise in Boston in 1993 remains the highlight of my concert-going experience. It was with this show that I began to realize how much arena and stadium shows really suck, though I understand why they are necessary. Just being so close to the man as he put all the energy he could muster (while battling the flu) into his performance was a memorable experience.

Lindsey is DA MAN!
Old 05-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

I suspect you will see a lot of people who don't care for Lindsey's songs on the new album begin to change their minds as they see him on stage.
One of the girls I went with left saying, "I didn't really like Lindsey's stuff before, but I just can't believe how great he is! Wow!"

It's already happening! She also said that now she finally realizes "Come" has a purpose. lol

Old 05-09-2003, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
It's already happening! She also said that now she finally realizes "Come" has a purpose. lol
Oh, for a second there I thought you were going to say, "She finally realizes Carne was right."

Oh well.