Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-21-2002, 09:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Warren Zevon

Don't know how many of you guys are familiar with LB's work with Classic rock veteran Warren Zevon. Lindsey played guitar on a few songs and sang background on Zevon's brilliant self-titled debut album from 1976. Especially noteworthy is LB's great b-vocals on the hilarious song, "poor poor pitiful me". LB would later perform on his 1982 album, The Envoy, as well. Definetely worth checking out.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I MET Warren Zevon a couple of years ago at the front desk of the St.Petersberg Hilton!
He was checking in while I was checking out. He announced his real name (surprising...no
pseudonym...) to the clerk and the clerk was like "Warren what?". And then I piped in
"Zevon! Z E V O N!" To which Warren immediately started chuckling.... Since he had his pen
out, I asked him for his autograph. He was very nice and gracious. Cool.
Old 03-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not to be picky, but the album with "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (and "Mohammad's Radio" that Stevie & Lindsey both appear on), was Warren's SECOND album...he'd released an album titled "Zevon" about two years prior to that one.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

chiliD- The album featuring both Poor Poor pitiful Me and Mohammed's Radio, among other classics, was Warren's major label debut from 1976. His more popular album, Exitable Boy, which features Werewolves of London, the title track and Lawyers, Guns & Money came out in 1978. If you want to be real technical, he actually releases a small label, out of print album called Wanted Dead or Alive back in 1969.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

Just as a sidenote, that 1976 self titled album is considered one of the defining records of the 70's California rock scene, right up there with Hotel California, Rumours, Sweet Baby James and Tapestry.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Gotta Love Warren!

I think Warren Zevon is great! "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" is one of my favorites. There's another song Lindsey's on that I adore called "The Overdraft". It's on "The Envoy." My favorite part: "If I do say so, I can't let go, and I DON'T TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!!!!!" (You can hear Lindsey hollerin' in the background too! lol)

I also like "Reconsider Me", which is on Stevie's boxset. Apparently Lindsey, Stevie and Warren hung out back in the Buckingham Nicks days. Cool, huh?

Old 03-23-2002, 07:54 AM
SoulDrifter1949
This message has been deleted by SoulDrifter1949.
Old 03-23-2002, 07:57 AM
SoulDrifter1949
Old 03-23-2002, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Heart I loved it!!

Ater I read this thread, I went to AG to download the song The Overdraft, and I love hearing Lindsey in the background SCREAMING! That is greatness!! Thanks you guys for letting us know about these songs, I am enjoying hearing this never-before-heard-by-me-stuff!! I also downloaded Walls with Tom Petty, but *ducking* I have never liked Tom's voice, I'm sorry, you guys, it's not my thing, but Lindsey MAKES THE SONG GREAT!!!!! He can make any song, GREATNESS, like Jessica said!!
Old 03-23-2002, 11:48 AM
SoulDrifter1949
Old 03-23-2002, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Lindsey Hollering for Tom Petty!

Hi! You Fortunate Fans of Lindsey!!!
Would it be possible for one of you to please send me
that funny hollerin' song on Real Player or Real Juke Box?
Lindsey tickles me when he does that weird-O stuff!
I just cannot get enough of Lindsey being naughty!Sky!

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 03-23-2002, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: I loved it!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SoulDrifter1949

Hey Christy! Lindsey's screaming backgroud vocals on The Overdraft are, as you say , GREATNESS!!! hehe

I'm not exacty a fan of Tom either....he is ok, but his voice doesn't really...appeal to me that much either. But still, he is cool, and Lindsey being on Walls IS what makes it awesome to me!!!

HEHE Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for Tom's voice. Yeah, that song Walls is a keeper since Lindsey is a part of it! I wanna hear every song with Lindsey on background or guitar!
Old 03-27-2002, 10:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

Tom Petty's voice isn't one of the strongest rock voices, but he makes up for it with his excellent songwriting. Wall is a great song w/ or w/o LB on it, though, you can't deny how strong the backing vocals are on it.
Wondergirl, try downloading "poor poor pitiful me" or "Mohammed's Radio", LB sings on both, and SN sings on the latter as well. Both songs are great.
If anyone wants to hear LB on some other songs, you might want to pick up Walter Egan's first two records, which LB and SN sang on nearly every song. As well, LB was prominantely featured on a few John Stewart records in the early 80's. There is one particular great song called American Way, which was just released on CD and can be downloaded on Kazaa.
Old 03-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Not to be picky, but the album with "Poor Poor Pitiful Me" (and "Mohammad's Radio" that Stevie & Lindsey both appear on), was Warren's SECOND album...he'd released an album titled "Zevon" about two years prior to that one.
not to be picky but those would be nrs 2 & 3, as I have something called Wanted Dead Or Alive on cd, originally from .. 1970? just guessing because the cd's from 1996. features ao She Quit me (from Midnight Cowboy soundtrack)

or is this a bootleg?
Old 03-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The one I referred to as being titled "Zevon" was actually the "Wanted Dead Or Alive" album that jeffles mentioned earlier. Warren wasn't using his first name back then, the album's artist credit is "Zevon", that's where I erred in my recollection.
Old 03-28-2002, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

ah! indeed. should've known better than try to correct you, LOL

Hey, the song Iko-Iko on that one, my mother said once she knew that song, do you know, has it been a hit by Zevon, or is it a coverversion?
Old 03-28-2002, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The big hit of "Iko Iko" was done by the Dixie Cups in the late 50's/early 60's...there've been MANY cover versions of it since then (and I'm pretty sure that The Dixie Cups' version was a cover as well). The Neville Bros, Buckwheat Zydeco, Irma Thomas, Cyndi Lauper, Ringo Starr's All-Starr Band, Dr. John, Harry Nilssson, and many more that I can't name, have all covered "Iko Iko".
Old 03-28-2002, 04:52 PM
Senior Ledgie

Grateful Dead also did a great version of Iko Iko.
Zevon's version is pretty decent....