Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
I'd never heard that quote before.

By the way, I can only imagine what John McVie may have said to Lindsey when he was telling John what notes to play.
I can think of a few words.. Oh to have been a fly on that wall!
Actually if you watch the Tusk doc and watch Lindsey´s face while John is playing to one of his songs (can´t remember which one right now) you can clearly see that he really has to restrain himself from jumping right in and make corrections. At some point he says something to John (that I can´t really hear) and John just says: "I play it the way I feel it and if you don´t like it you can..." Just brilliant. Go Johnny go!!
Old 08-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
As for Bob Welch ....Somebody asked him quite recently if he'd like to record with her again and he said he would but he "didn't think Christine liked him very much"
This is probably true, due to the law suit--and that's sad because at one time they were quite close. In her Rumors-era interviews Chris praised Bob profusely and spoke of him with genuine affection.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
This is probably true, due to the law suit--and that's sad because at one time they were quite close. In her Rumors-era interviews Chris praised Bob profusely and spoke of him with genuine affection.
I wouldn't much like someone who sued me, either. From what he said in the Q&A, Bob gives the impression that he never really cared for Christine as a person. He mostly made complimentary remarks about her as a musician, other than his opinion that she stays in a comfort zone. But, I remember reading more than one interview where C said that she had always gotten along well with Bob. Was she lying? Did Bob's bitterness color his memories? Did he hide his dislike of her over the years?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Did Bob Welch also think Christine was "holding him back?" In one of his Q&As here, he basically said she was musically unadventurous (if talented) and turned up her nose at anything he tried to do that was less mainstream. I took it with a grain of salt, because he came off as really bitter, but it makes you wonder. She was obviously the one who had the best idea of what would appeal to the broadest range of people, though, given the popularity of her songs.

Christine was always more about the music and playing. Stevie has always sold an image to go along with her songs. I mean, you don't dress like that to sing "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" or something. While I think she is a great songwriter (not a producer or arranger, obviously) and had the right voice to go with her music, I don't think she would've been as big without the image she cultivated. Her looks didn't hurt, either. The scary thing is that I don't think she planned it in the beginning. It just worked for her and she's played it up ever since. Christine did not need an image to sell her songs, but she could've been bigger than she was, had she been into that.

I think Lindsey has always believed he was more talented than either of them and that he was largely responsible for their success, which is why it ate at him that Stevie was so popular as a solo artist. Hence his "lounge act" remark. He is a talented producer, arranger and guitar player. But, most of his best songs were on Say You Will, IMO. The lyrics always seemed like an afterthought on many of of his earlier songs. Stevie's solo success and the fact that Christine made 2 great solo records and co-produced both indicates to me that they made their own success. Fleetwood Mac was great during their lineup because the combination of the 5 people was so good, not that Lindsey didn't play an important part as a producer in creating the sound.

great post
Old 08-22-2007, 10:37 PM

Keep going you guys.... this is great reading....
Old 08-23-2007, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wouldn't much like someone who sued me, either. From what he said in the Q&A, Bob gives the impression that he never really cared for Christine as a person. He mostly made complimentary remarks about her as a musician, other than his opinion that she stays in a comfort zone. But, I remember reading more than one interview where C said that she had always gotten along well with Bob. Was she lying? Did Bob's bitterness color his memories? Did he hide his dislike of her over the years?
I agree. I don't think I'd be too fond of someone who was suing me. I think that's why Bob didn't get inducted in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame - no one in FM was prepared to make a fuss about it.

As far as I remember in the first Q&A Bob was rude about Mick and John as well but he seems to have made up with Mick at least.

I always got the impression that Christine like him but it looks like the law suit soured their relationship.

Gail
Old 08-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Back in the 1980's, Chris had some very nice things to say about Bob. She called him a wonderful man in one interview I have. I think the lawsuit changed everything. I can't exactly blame her. I wouldn't have any nice things to say about someone if they had sued me. In Bob's first Q & A, he said some very nasty, personal things about Chris. Who knows? She may have read it. She has checked out this website. He toned it down alot in his second Q & A after he had reconciled with Mick. It's a shame because they seemed to have a nice chemistry together in Fleetwood Mac & seemed to be good friends as well.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:07 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Back in the 1980's, Chris had some very nice things to say about Bob. She called him a wonderful man in one interview I have. I think the lawsuit changed everything. I can't exactly blame her. I wouldn't have any nice things to say about someone if they had sued me. In Bob's first Q & A, he said some very nasty, personal things about Chris. Who knows? She may have read it. She has checked out this website. He toned it down alot in his second Q & A after he had reconciled with Mick. It's a shame because they seemed to have a nice chemistry together in Fleetwood Mac & seemed to be good friends as well.
How do we know she's checked out this site? Keep in mind that I haven't hung out here much the last few years.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How do we know she's checked out this site? Keep in mind that I haven't hung out here much the last few years.
Didn't she once send an email to Lis?

Gail
Old 08-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am the person who asked Bob about recording with Christine again, over on his website, where he is actively involved in the message board.

In his response he said he would be interested, but he didn't think Chris liked him very much since the lawsuit. If I remember correctly the tone of his response indicated he has no dislike for her, but that he assumes she has dislike for him. I assume the lawsuit wasn't motivated by personal animosity in the first place.

But I suspect if he called her she'd be delighted to hear from him. They're both mature adults, and surely they must both be proud of the five albums they recorded together. But whether that means Chris would actually be interested in recording with Bob, I have no idea. Over the past few years Bob has released a few self-produced CDs including two very interesting CDs of covers of Fleetwood Mac songs, and I can see a place for Christine on a CD like that.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I am the person who asked Bob about recording with Christine again, over on his website, where he is actively involved in the message board.

In his response he said he would be interested, but he didn't think Chris liked him very much since the lawsuit. If I remember correctly the tone of his response indicated he has no dislike for her, but that he assumes she has dislike for him. I assume the lawsuit wasn't motivated by personal animosity in the first place.

But I suspect if he called her she'd be delighted to hear from him. They're both mature adults, and surely they must both be proud of the five albums they recorded together. But whether that means Chris would actually be interested in recording with Bob, I have no idea. Over the past few years Bob has released a few self-produced CDs including two very interesting CDs of covers of Fleetwood Mac songs, and I can see a place for Christine on a CD like that.
the lawsuit may not have been motivated by personal animosity but his comments on his first Q&A most certainly were.

But as you say she may have softened a little over the years.

I don't think Christine is interested in recording with anyone anymore (more's the pity) I think ITM was her swansong.

Gail
Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Didn't she once send an email to Lis?

Gail
Yes, she did. I also have a feeling that she had read George Hawkins Q & A. She called George up out of the blue while he was doing his Q & A. I can't believe that was just coincidence.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Yes, she did. I also have a feeling that she had read George Hawkins Q & A. She called George up out of the blue while he was doing his Q & A. I can't believe that was just coincidence.

she should have used to web to promote her album more... cos she was making it at that time no>?
Old 08-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, if she ever reads this: CHRISTINE RECORD AGAIN! ANYTHING! ANYTHING!
Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Well, if she ever reads this: CHRISTINE RECORD AGAIN! ANYTHING! ANYTHING!
Seriously. FM would be the ultimate (dream on, right?), but I'd pee myself if she recorded another solo album. Heck, I could get pretty excited about a guest appearance on somebody else's album.