Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Storms - Dennis Wilson

I have just about read the book now. (We got it a bit late in the UK)

According to CAH Dennis told Christine, after a big fight, that he had slept with both her and Sarah Recor. CAH claims this never happened.

Dennis did sleep with one of Lindsey's girlfirends though, didn't he?

Anyway I still cannot believe that Christine was involved with Dennis Wilson. What was she thinking about

I do like the story about Christine's granny knickers. but on the whole I got bored with the constant stories of the drug taking and especially her portrayal of Lindsey as the grand producer of the music as if no-one else had part in the production of the albums. What was Christine doing then, sitting there saying nothing and letting him get on with it?

Gail
Old 08-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Dreamz19
This message has been deleted by Dreamz19.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know if Lindsey ever called out CAH specifically, but I think when he says GF he is referring to her. He was with CAH when Dennis and Christine started seeing each other and it continuted up until after his death. CAH says that Lindsey believed her back then, but she has no idea why Lindsey changed his tune years later. That's another case of two different sides, along with their breakup.

The Christine story was really funny though . As for her being with Dennis. CAH speaks about his remarkable charm, his good looks and how it was hard to be mad with him. So maybe that's what captured Chris
Old 08-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamz19 View Post
The Christine story was really funny though . As for her being with Dennis. CAH speaks about his remarkable charm, his good looks and how it was hard to be mad with him. So maybe that's what captured Chris
I suppose that must be it. She does have a remarkable talent for picking men that can't keep it zipped up or as CAH says "can't keep it in their pants"

Gail
Old 08-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was a little surprised that she said she hadn't slept with Dennis Wilson, only that they were very good friends. Dennis was a womanizer & it is a little hard to believe that he would be "just friends" with any woman.

I thought the book was pretty interesting. I didn't find it boring at all. It was a bit more detailed & gossipy than Mick's book, which made it interesting. I tend to believe much of what she wrote. I have no reason not to. I don't think she portrayed Chris in a negative light. It sounds like she really did like her. Lindsey certainly came off looking horrible. The abuse didn't really surprise me since it's been hinted at by others before. The episode that CAH described at Christine's house between Lindsey & CAH is scary, to say the least. There must be something about Chris' house that makes Lindsey go a little crazy, what with this episode & the later Tango scene.

Regarding Chris, I liked the Granny Knickers story & Chris' reaction to Lindsey's Tusk look.

By the way, I wonder if Chris has read the book or if she even knows the book exists.

Last edited by macfan 57; 08-19-2007 at 03:47 PM..
Old 08-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
especially her portrayal of Lindsey as the grand producer of the music as if no-one else had part in the production of the albums. What was Christine doing then, sitting there saying nothing and letting him get on with it?
That was annoying. Of course, we know it wasn't true.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:09 PM

This book was so much fun to read... I thought it was well written and very informative from CarolAnne's perspective...
Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post

I thought the book was pretty interesting. I didn't find it boring at all. It was a bit more detailed & gossipy than Mick's book, which made it interesting. I tend to believe much of what she wrote. I have no reason not to. I don't think she portrayed Chris in a negative light. It sounds like she really did like her. Lindsey certainly came off looking horrible. The abuse didn't really surprise me since it's been hinted at by others before. The episode that CAH described at Christine's house between Lindsey & CAH is scary, to say the least. There must be something about Chris' house that makes Lindsey go a little crazy, what with this episode & the later Tango scene.

Regarding Chris, I liked the Granny Knickers story & Chris' reaction to Lindsey's Tusk look.

By the way, I wonder if Chris has read the book or if she even knows the book exists.
I too thought the incident at Chris' house sounded really scary.

the book does have the ring of truth about it. for one thing Lindsey's lawyers would have been all over it like a rash if there were false allegations. Christine is portrayed in a generally positive light

I just got fed up with all the drug taking. It's a wonder they're all still alive!

All the members of FM (past and present) seem to be keeping very quiet about it. As far as I know no-one has made a comment about it. I would hazard a guess that Christine hasn't read it but I bet she knows about it.

Gail
Old 08-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't know about Dennis using Christine financially too. I guess I just always assumed that he had royalties from the Beach Boys, but that doesn't go far when you have an expensive drug habit.

The way Carol described Curry made you wonder what people saw in him too. He might have been good looking, but if he was going to brag to everyone about all the women he'd slept with -- right in front of those women -- that rather tarnishes his allure.

CAH says Christine lied about who she wrote Oh Daddy and Songbird about, but I don't think that's the case, because Christine didn't seem to be evasive about Curry.

I also found it interesting that Sharon and Ray went out, since we've seen both of them on tour with Fleetwood Mac for a long time.

Quote:
for one thing Lindsey's lawyers would have been all over it like a rash if there were false allegations.
With the burden of proof what it is in these cases, lawyers can't weave silk out of straw. Unless you have objective evidence that something is untrue, you can't sue over something like this and win, when it comes to public figures. Private people have more power because they can sue for just invasion of privacy or for being presented in a false light and they can show damage (a necessary element of defamation). But celebrities are fair game. In most cases, the bad publicity doesn't damage them (sometimes it HELPS their career) and they also have to prove "actual malice." A private person wouldn't have to show malice, but if a public figure can't show that someone lied about them with malice, then they don't have a case.

That's why the tabloids are seldom sued. And it's hard to prove that something is untrue, when it's just he said vs. she said. If you can show you were never arrested and have no police record, were in London when they said you were in Paris or have some other hard proof that you didn't do what they said you did, then I guess you have a shot. Otherwise . . .

Most of the events Carol described with Lindsey happened when they were alone. There are no witnesses. The one at Christine's house is a rare exception. I guess if Lindsey's lawyers could get Christine to swear that Carol was lying about that, he would have a case regarding that one. In situation, that would be the words of 2 against one.

Carol also said he started strangling her at an Elvis Costello concert, but that everyone there thought he was hugging and caressing her and complimented her on what an attentive boyfriend she had and how in love they seemed. I believe those are the only 2 times she said he was violent with her when others were around.

Michele
Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Most of the events Carol described with Lindsey happened when they were alone. There are no witnesses. The one at Christine's house is a rare exception. I guess if Lindsey's lawyers could get Christine to swear that Carol was lying about that, he would have a case regarding that one. In situation, that would be the words of 2 against one.
Michele
I agree that it's difficult to proove when it comes down to one person's word against another. However if that incident never took place then I'm sure Christine would be prepared to say so - in court if necessary. I doubt if CAH would have dared make that up when she mentioned that there was a witness.

Gail
Old 08-20-2007, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
However if that incident never took place then I'm sure Christine would be prepared to say so - in court if necessary. I doubt if CAH would have dared make that up when she mentioned that there was a witness.
Gail
I agree. Maybe Lindsey's lawyers had already verified what happened at Christine's house by checking with Chris. Hence the incident is in the book. And that last violent episode sent CAH to the hospital. It would seem that medical information would be easy to verify.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I didn't know about Dennis using Christine financially too. I guess I just always assumed that he had royalties from the Beach Boys, but that doesn't go far when you have an expensive drug habit.
Michele

I once skimmed through a biography of Dennis Wilson, concentrating mainly on the 2 or 3 years he was with Christine. They seemed to suggest Christine used the drugs to keep Dennis with her. I knew he used her financially - didn't he once wreck her Rolls Royce to the point it had to be written off. (I don't know if that's a term you use in the US but in the UK it means the insurance company decides it's beyond repair)

Gail
Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
They seemed to suggest Christine used the drugs to keep Dennis with her. I knew he used her financially - didn't he once wreck her Rolls Royce to the point it had to be written off. (I don't know if that's a term you use in the US but in the UK it means the insurance company decides it's beyond repair)

Gail
In the U.S. we use "total" -- as in, that car was totalled in the accident. It's short for a "total loss."

As for Chris and Dennis Wilson, all I can say is Chris is much better off with nobody than she would be with Dennis. What a shame that someone as talented as he was would throw his life away by using drugs.

I have no intention of reading this book, but I'm glad for threads like this one that keep me informed on what it says about Christine.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
In the U.S. we use "total" -- as in, that car was totalled in the accident. It's short for a "total loss."

As for Chris and Dennis Wilson, all I can say is Chris is much better off with nobody than she would be with Dennis. What a shame that someone as talented as he was would throw his life away by using drugs.

I have no intention of reading this book, but I'm glad for threads like this one that keep me informed on what it says about Christine.
I found the book reasonably interesting although I got fed up with the way she portrayed herself as the "country girl" led astray by the wicked rock 'n rollers. If she quoted him correctly Lindsey's comments about "using all his best ideas on Stevie and Christine's songs" made me cross. And as I've said before the constant descriptions of the drug taking I found tedious. Maybe they found the drug taking tedious and that's why one by one they stopped. I can't imagine how much damage they all did to themselves and as for Ms McVie - snorting coke while driving. Jesus she was lucky the worst that happened to her was total embarrassment. I must admit I think it served her right.

Gail
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

To tell you the truth, I believe Christine wore dingy granny knickers, but I find the whole strip searched thing hard to swallow. Why didn't that arrest make the papers like John and Julie's did (and FM was a lot less famous when John was charged)? Carol makes it sound like a pretty well-known incident, both within the FM circle and to the police. Sometimes celebrities are let go and we never hear about it, but if it got to the point where Christine was strip searched, she would have had to be arrested for that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
I agree. Maybe Lindsey's lawyers had already verified what happened at Christine's house by checking with Chris. Hence the incident is in the book. And that last violent episode sent CAH to the hospital. It would seem that medical information would be easy to verify.
Easy for Carol to verify. No one else would have access to her medical records. They're private and the right to privacy even remains after you die. You're right. They would make good verifying evidence, though. Usually when you go to the doctor, they make a note as to what you said happened as well as your physical condition. So, if she reported that her boyfriend did that to her, I guess that would be in the medical records. Most of the time she said she didn't tell anyone but Sara though.

Michele
Old 08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
on the whole I got bored with the constant stories of the drug taking and especially her portrayal of Lindsey as the grand producer of the music as if no-one else had part in the production of the albums. What was Christine doing then, sitting there saying nothing and letting him get on with it?

Gail
When I was young I was so used to reading about what a grand producer Lindsey was that I honestly thought the other musicians bascially NEEDED him to complete their songs. But any quick listen to demos (such as with Hold me) or the stripped down masters on Tusk of Honey Hi and Never Forget reveal what Christine has always said...she usually has a good idea of where she wants her songs to go before she enters the studio and that only when she's being generous to Lindsey do the songs differ vastly from their original conception.

Lindsey has also been credited with exploiting the Byrds-like vocal formula which, according to Rolling Stone's review of Tusk, began with "You make Loving Fun" and is abundant throughout Tusk. It's not hard to hear Chris using thick YMLF-like vocal textures much earlier, such as on the title track to Heroes are Hard to Find or in her harmonies to Emerald Eyes.

In short, she was most likely very involved in all stages of arrangment and prodcution of those records. She just doesn't blab about what a tortured genius she is.