User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2002, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question PG/NW "Play the blues" CD?

I noticed that Blue Storm are releasing an album (apparently) by PG & NW called "Plays the blues" or something like that. It did say something in the article I saw (but I can't remember where I saw it now because it was when the Ledge has just shut down last week) about Robert Johnson but I wasn't sure if this was just going to be a compilation of stuff from RJS & HP or what as it did say quite clearly that it was going to be Blue Storn and NOT Snapper (who has the rights to the RJS & HP albums as far as I know) releasing it. I know the Splinter Group are currently working on their new album now but this can't be it already, can it?! Any further info would be great. Thanks!

John
Old 09-23-2002, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Intriguing, indeed!

Blue Storm is the label that released "Time Traders"...they left Snapper after "Hot Foot Powder". It's possible they (either Blue Storm OR the Splinter Group themselves) could've bought the rights to their previous material, but let's hope to GOD it's not the Robert Johnson stuff compiled yet again. It only took the Splinter Group six weeks to record "Time Traders" (and simultaneously, "Blues Don't Change") so it IS possible that this could be the new album we've been waiting for.
Old 09-23-2002, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

ICE Magazine (incorrectly) lists 10/9 (I assume they mean 10/8) as the release date but they have "Eagle/Red Ink" as the label. I don't know about this "Red Ink" stuff but Eagle is the UK division whereas Blue Storm is the US distributor of the PGSG albums NOW right? So this must be new stuff (unless like you say if they struck a deal with Snapper on the RJ stuff to rehash it...again. It is worrying as this may serve as the US version of "The best of" the Splinter Group since that was (apparently) only a UK release). Oh well, we'll find out on the 8th I guess.

John
Old 10-08-2002, 12:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation UPDATE

I see that at www.bluestormmusic.com if you go to "store" and then click on "more CD's" you'll see the "Plays the blues" CD cover and when you click on it for that page, it does say that "some of the tracks are previously unreleasaed". I e mailed "The weatherman" about it and he said that many were licensed from Snapper but there are some included that are previously unreleased so I asked him to tell me WHICH ONES and HOW MANY are the "previously unreleased" ones (as I've looked around this morning for a copy but couldn't find one so I'll have to go further a field later today to see if I can get a copy of this CD). So hopefully I'll get a copy and/or an answer back from them with more specific info on these recordings soon and I'll post it her if I do but at least we know that this CD is not COMPLETELY worthless as it should have a few new versions of these well worn out by now RJ songs!

John
Old 10-08-2002, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default BAD NEWS

Just heard back from the weatherman and he says:

"Trks 1,2,4,5,8 are from The Robert Johnson Songbook, All the other
tracks
(3,6,7,9-14) are from Hot Foot Powder. So it would appear that this is
indeed a repackaging of the two CDs"

I've asked him to think about removing the statement from their site about "some of the tracks being previously unreleased" as I feel this is most misleading to consumers. It'll be interesting to see if they actually do it though.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 10-08-2002 at 02:56 PM..
Old 10-08-2002, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As I thought!