User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I HATE the horns. They scream "turn me off", at least to me.
I tend to agree with that, but the songwriting on this album is so much better than on Time....

Old 05-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
I tend to agree with that, but the songwriting on this album is so much better than on Time....
Lyric-wise, I think I have to agree with you there.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber
well I have all 6 of the BN era studio albums plus the dance and LIB.
Am I miscounting somehow? There are five BN-era studio albums: Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Tusk, Mirage, Tango.

Quote:
I guess the ones that i dont have that I would like to have are.....well I don't want to get the pre-BN albums if theres a chance they're getting remastered. thats a waste.
People! Have we been following the same band all these years? I don't understand where this kind of naivete possibly comes from. This is Fleetwood Mac we're talking about. *If* any of the pre-1975 albums are ever remastered or reissued, it ain't going to be anytime soon. Hell, I'll be very surprised if we see Mirage or Tango reissued before the decade is out. These kinds of projects just don't seem to be of very much import to the band (or, perhaps more accurately, to Mick or John). And in the meantime, you're missing out on some incredible music. And THAT's a waste.

Last edited by Jyqm; 05-13-2005 at 03:06 PM..
Old 05-13-2005, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Am I miscounting somehow? There are five BN-era studio albums: Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Tusk, Mirage, Tango.

People! Have we been following the same band all these years? I don't understand where this kind of naivete possibly comes from. This is Fleetwood Mac we're talking about. *If* any of the pre-1975 albums are ever remastered or reissued, it ain't going to be anytime soon. Hell, I'll be very surprised if we see Mirage or Tango reissued before the decade is out. These kinds of projects just don't seem to be of very much import to the band (or, perhaps more accurately, to Mick or John). And in the meantime, you're missing out on some incredible music. And THAT's a waste.
Yep...I held out as long as I could (due to lack of funds) to get the three remasters...I had the original CDs, so I found a store that buys back used CDs (or gives store credit) ...so I basically traded in the old CDs for the new ones...sure I had to drop a few $'s in on the deal too, but actually, for the price of buying ONE remaster, I got all three. Since it really looks like the rest of the catalogue isn't going to be released all that soon, you can pick up the pre-BN era Mac albums usually for under $10 apiece. When/if they're re-released, trade 'em in for the remastered ones.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Heroes is my least favorite Pre BN album. I HATE the horns. They scream "turn me off", at least to me.
They're on one friggin' song on the album! So you write-off a whole album because one song has horns?
Old 05-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Time over Mirage?!?

But at this point I do prefer Time to Heroes are Hard to Find. The latter is hard for me to take.
I really don't like Mirage. I think Stevie's songs are awesome, but Lindsey and Christine were very unispired, as if a lot of their songs were just album filler. While I like some of their songs, overall, the album just doesn't do it for me. The album, to me, sounds forced, as if nobody really wanted to be there.

Time was a very disjointed album, to say the least. But, there are a lot more gems for me than what was on Mirage. I will say that Dave Mason's stuff did little for me (which is a shame, as I'm a huge fan of Dave's). Christine, Bekka, and Billy more than save the album. Chris had three of her most honest songs (Hollywood, I Do, All Over Again), Bekka had three great songs (Winds Of Change, Nothing Without You, Dreamin' The Dream -a song that still gives me gooseflesh), and Billy had one of the best Mac tunes ever (Talkin' To My Heart), as well as another great song (I Got It In For You). Hell, I even liked Mick's song. It was a little on the Pink Floyd side, but it was still pretty good. So, while it is far from being a perfect album, there are more gems on this album for me than there are on the other Mac albums I listed.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
They're on one friggin' song on the album! So you write-off a whole album because one song has horns?
Call me crazy, I actually liked the horns. I think "Heroes" is a good album. But like "Mirage," it sounds forced. On both albums, the creative chemistry seems to take a back seat to necessity of recording an album. Even before I knew the stories behind these albums, I could just hear that the band was straining to make the record. I think the same could be said about "Penguin." That album, like "Time" was pretty disjointed, and it sounded like the band wasn't sure it was doing the right thing.

For me, the band, regardless of incarnation, is at its best when they're excited or passionate to be working on a project together. I think in the case of "Mirage" and "Heroes," the band falls short on either account.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
It just starts out on the wrong foot. Maybe I should burn a copy with the horny song last, except HAHTF and Penguin are the two I ONLY have on vinyl. I hate trying to get the needle in the right place on a record.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I really don't like Mirage. I think Stevie's songs are awesome, but Lindsey and Christine were very unispired, as if a lot of their songs were just album filler. While I like some of their songs, overall, the album just doesn't do it for me. The album, to me, sounds forced, as if nobody really wanted to be there.

Time was a very disjointed album, to say the least. But, there are a lot more gems for me than what was on Mirage. I will say that Dave Mason's stuff did little for me (which is a shame, as I'm a huge fan of Dave's). Christine, Bekka, and Billy more than save the album. Chris had three of her most honest songs (Hollywood, I Do, All Over Again), Bekka had three great songs (Winds Of Change, Nothing Without You, Dreamin' The Dream -a song that still gives me gooseflesh), and Billy had one of the best Mac tunes ever (Talkin' To My Heart), as well as another great song (I Got It In For You). Hell, I even liked Mick's song. It was a little on the Pink Floyd side, but it was still pretty good. So, while it is far from being a perfect album, there are more gems on this album for me than there are on the other Mac albums I listed.
Points taken about Time, and you may be right about Mirage, but I just find so much of it irresistable. Sure, Stevie's songs are my faves, but I love Christine's offerings deeply as well as Lindsey's "Can't Go Back." I think of some of the material as substandard or just too bizarre for me ("Empire State" and "Eyes of the World"), but I never really thought they weren't into it, necessarily. I could be biased because I just love the Christine stuff on there so much and refuse to believe she could have been uninspired, but it's particularly hard for me to believe about Lindsey. But does Lindsey ever sound uninspired? It seems that he gives everything his all, or is that just my perception? And am I right that it was Lindsey's idea to do the idea in the oldies style it's in?
Old 05-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
I was including Say You Will in with BN-era.....i guess time wise it's not part of the "era".....but I'll put it in with those albums because the 2 are in it though w/o christine it's probably an era on it's own.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 05-16-2005 at 12:15 AM..
Old 05-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've never understood why folks who have every other Fleetwood Mac album don't have "Time." Okay, so there are a few bad songs, there are as many gems, especially from Christine, Bekka, and Billy. I'd take "Time" over "Penguin," "Heroes Are Hard To Find," "Mirage," and "Behind The Mask" anyday.
I've been on a Mirage kick lately. The only songs I dislike are "Empire State" and "Only Over You." I actually quite like Lindsey and Christine's songs on the album. (And of course, Stevie's.)
Old 05-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was including Say You Will in with BN-era.....i guess time wise it's not part of the "era".....but I'll put it in with those albums because the 2 are in it though w/o christine it's probably an era on it's own.
D'oh! Of course! How did I forget about it?
Old 05-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I've been on a Mirage kick lately. The only songs I dislike are "Empire State" and "Only Over You." I actually quite like Lindsey and Christine's songs on the album. (And of course, Stevie's.)
I enjoy Empire State and most of the other songs. "Only Over You" is probably one I skip....and I just can't listen to Stevie's country song....I HATE country. After a few years and I still had nev er fully heard that song I forced myself to listen thinking maybe it's good and I'm just not giving it a chance....and I hated it and was itching the whole time to hit the skip button. But I love Love In Store, Can't Go Back, Book of Love, Gypsy, Hold Me, and Eyes of the World. I don't think there's a Lindsey song on any FM album that I actually dislike.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 05-16-2005 at 09:17 AM..
Old 05-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would, only because it's as much "Rumours" era as "Behind The Mask," really.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-16-2005, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would, only because it's as much "Rumours" era as "Behind The Mask," really.
Meaning "It ISN'T Rumours-era at all", actually.

It's as close (if not closer) to "Buckingham Nicks" as it is "Fleetwood Mac", as well.