User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
They still did like 5 new songs throughout the whole tour. I wish I was at Opening Night to have hear Running Through the Garden and Destiny Rules.
They did a great job, too! Even though I wasn’t a fan of the recorded songs, live they rocked them! But I remember people next to me complaining “oh my God, another new song!?!” throughout the concert.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
In Cleveland, they performed Storms and Hypnotized, but had dropped them by the time they came to Columbus. Oh man, I was so bummed! I was thankful to hear Isn’t It Midnight before it, too, was dropped.

It’s interesting to me how well received Silver Springs was during the Dance tour. I suspect if it hadn’t gotten such glowing reviews from the critics during the televised special, along with all those dramatic closeups of Stevie and Lindsey singing to each other, then that song would have been dropped at some point during the tour. Silver Springs was a deep cut, and most of America had never heard it, but it went over incredibly well. I suspect if Storms or Beautiful Child had been performed for that concert instead of Landslide, there’s a decent chance they would have been hits, too. The audience had been conditioned to love Landslide, and to see that hug afterwards with Lindsey. Just a thought.
I was surprised Silver Springs didn't get played on 2018-2019. I know it got dropped on SYW but it was played from 2009-2015. Stevie even rehearsed it for the CV Tour. Maybe Free Fallin' took the place of Silver Springs.

It seems like Illume is the song Stevie's proudest of from Illume. Since she brings it up in her September 11 posts. It really is an incredibly powerful song.

When Mick does his dance to it in Destiny Rules, he looks like an a**
Old 04-10-2021, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Thats been a consistent theme of Fleetwood Mac "fans" or should we say concert attendees. Every band must play some hits but the people that attend Fleetwood Mac shows are beyond ridiculous. in the dark like WTF? Even songs people dont like or know get some applause.

That is what makes this forum so great, probably better than other band forums. We know the songs and most of us appreciate the artistry. But its ok, some fans want to hear Seven Wonders, Talk To Me, Stand Back, Dreams and Rhiannon and call it a night. Seriously. During Enchanted tour in 1998, I had the best concert seats I had in my life. I was 7 rows back. The couple in front of me left after Stand Back
Yep, I’m with you. Although, having said that, I just can’t imagine a Stevie concert without Stand Back, a Lindsey concert without Trouble, or a FM concert without Dreams. I love that Stevie included Seven Wonders recently, I mean that song is not what one would consider overplayed. She hasn’t played it on every FM tour or every solo tour. Frankly, I was stunned to read she dropped Dreams from her 24 Karat Gold tour, but I’m glad.

I would pay big money to see FM play a small theater with songs like Brown Eyes, Crystal, Over and Over, Book of Love, Storms, Man of the World, Hypnotized, Warm Ways, That’s Alright, That’s All For Everyone, As Long As You Follow, Think About Me, and I Don’t Want to Know. It’ll never happen, but a televised special like the Dance that included these songs? It would be a Christmas miracle.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
18 years ago I felt a bittersweetness towards this release. I was glad a new studio album had come out but disappointed that Christine was not involved..
And maybe that's why it's my least favorite album.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Yep, I’m with you. Although, having said that, I just can’t imagine a Stevie concert without Stand Back, a Lindsey concert without Trouble, or a FM concert without Dreams. I love that Stevie included Seven Wonders recently, I mean that song is not what one would consider overplayed. She hasn’t played it on every FM tour or every solo tour. Frankly, I was stunned to read she dropped Dreams from her 24 Karat Gold tour, but I’m glad.

I would pay big money to see FM play a small theater with songs like Brown Eyes, Crystal, Over and Over, Book of Love, Storms, Man of the World, Hypnotized, Warm Ways, That’s Alright, That’s All For Everyone, As Long As You Follow, Think About Me, and I Don’t Want to Know. It’ll never happen, but a televised special like the Dance that included these songs? It would be a Christmas miracle.
Bruce did that and it was so wildly successful. Tickets were a fortune. I loved the rules. No phones. No getting up to go to the bathroom during songs, etc. The shows were for hardcore fans
All the Rumours songs have been played to death but I know they feel they have to do them.
I did not care for Stevie's 24k Gold album. However, I was so surprised how much I enjoyed the songs live. They were so good yet I would never listen to them otherwise. I guess I am in the minority.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bruce did that and it was so wildly successful. Tickets were a fortune. I loved the rules. No phones. No getting up to go to the bathroom during songs, etc. The shows were for hardcore fans
All the Rumours songs have been played to death but I know they feel they have to do them.
I did not care for Stevie's 24k Gold album. However, I was so surprised how much I enjoyed the songs live. They were so good yet I would never listen to them otherwise. I guess I am in the minority.
I watched Bruce's Netflix show and it was very much a show rather than just a concert. Tremendous storytelling. He did mostly play songs he regularly does. Maybe 3 obscure ones. Gotta give the ones paying $850 what they want to hear. I do love how people clapped during Dancing, he said I can handle this one myself

I don't think I Don't Want To Know will ever be played live.

Stevie's 24 Karat Gold songs were done really well live. Especially Belle Fleur. It's a shame she only did 3 of them out of a 16 track album.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I watched Bruce's Netflix show and it was very much a show rather than just a concert. Tremendous storytelling. He did mostly play songs he regularly does. Maybe 3 obscure ones. Gotta give the ones paying $850 what they want to hear. I do love how people clapped during Dancing, he said I can handle this one myself

I don't think I Don't Want To Know will ever be played live.

Stevie's 24 Karat Gold songs were done really well live. Especially Belle Fleur. It's a shame she only did 3 of them out of a 16 track album.
I also loved New Orleans and Starshine. Not crazy about the album versions but Starshine really rocks live.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I also loved New Orleans and Starshine. Not crazy about the album versions but Starshine really rocks live.
New Orleans is from In Your Dreams. I actually like the version she did at the AARP Corporate Gig in 2012 better than the 24 Karat Tour version. Sounded more like a rock band. 24 Karat Version was lovely but I just preferred the rougher sound of the AARP concert.

It's funny because I think Starshine live sounds just like the album. LOL. But it is shorter!
Old 04-10-2021, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I thought people would dig Sad Angel live but if they never heard it, they don't want to hear it.
Sad Angel live rocked! i remember the reviews from their second show of the tour, it was Philly 2 says after the first show in Columbus, when the reviewer wrote how surprised and amazed he was that the whole audience upfront was rocking out on it and singing every word of a new, yet unreleased, song.

a good number of us recorded it and posted videos from the first show in Columbus and by Philly every hardcore fan listened to it already non stop for 2 days. review of the first show was saying the new song is neither sad nor angelic and had great audience reaction.

it was similar with BuckVie Too Far Gone - even though many heard it for the first time, it was definitely a huge crowd pleaser.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-10-2021, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was fortunate to go to the Kansas City and St. Louis shows. I remember Stevie screwed up during Stand Back and babbled "so I walked down the line away from you". Too bad a bootleg never showed up for that night.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Sad Angel live rocked! i remember the reviews from their second show of the tour, it was Philly 2 says after the first show in Columbus, when the reviewer wrote how surprised and amazed he was that the whole audience upfront was rocking out on it and singing every word of a new, yet unreleased, song.

a good number of us recorded it and posted videos from the first show in Columbus and by Philly every hardcore fan listened to it already non stop for 2 days. review of the first show was saying the new song is neither sad nor angelic and had great audience reaction.

it was similar with BuckVie Too Far Gone - even though many heard it for the first time, it was definitely a huge crowd pleaser.
I definitely rocked to Sad Angel. I was at Philly but I wasn't in the front. I don't remember much about that show

2013 was actually my favorite tour. Production was great. Band sounded awesome. I thought the setlist was pretty good too.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default John McVie the songwriter

Quote:
Now, who feels old LOL

Believe it or not but Say You Will was released this month back in 2003. The song Peacekeeper always takes me back to the Iraq war invasion because that song was breaking right as the invasion was happening and thought it was sort of spooky because we all wanted a peacekeeper at that time.

Anyway, you can tell I am a history buff to always remind everyone of certain dates, etc. I know this album does not get much love around here but IMHO its a musical masterpiece and the best Mac album since Rumours/Tusk era. I just watched Destiny Rules the other night in its entirety that I never did before. I had seen so many snippets here and there and never watched the complete documentary. OMG will it make you feel old. It was shot almost 20 years ago. I had to laugh at the phones they were using and the cars they were driving and OMG was everyone so young in their 50s! Poor Lindsey, its almost like he is Charlie Brown with a football and the record company and the rest of the band are Lucy. Lindsey's only concern was another Tusk like double album to showcase the artistic value of the band. He put off yet another solo album, brought those songs, was going to surrender royalties just to put something out he would be so proud of. The record company and the band liked the idea but realized the younger generation who buys albums does not care about artistic value and how "deep" the album is. Lindsey did not get his way but the album ended up still a tug of war being much longer than a conventional album. They really fought over mixing. The sad part for me was Mick saying when the album was being recorded how disappointed Lindsey and the band would be to only sell 500k copies so that was their benchmark of a commercial failure. Sadly, that's what the album ended up selling more or less and everyone was disappointed but especially because of how they worked their asses off on this album. I think Stevie's writing was some of her best. But OMG we FINALLY get Smile at You and Running Through the Garden on an album. Hello!! That alone is enough to love the album. Musically this one of the Mac's BEST album IMHO. Yes Rumours has more catchy stuff but musically speaking Say You Will is much more intricate and artsy. Yes of course the album needed Christine. But like John said, if she was there, she would not want to be there and it would have ruined the mood for the entire album. Maybe because of the mixing controversy I thought maybe that is why some say its cold? I like every song on this album but my highlights are:

What's the world Coming to
Ilumne
Thrown Down
Miranda - genius
Say You Will - its catchy for me
Smile at you
Running through the garden
Bleed to Love her
Everybody finds out - most explosive Mac song ever. Dear God listen to this song with headphones

I admire the effort. The effort shows. I don't judge albums or music by commercial success and they should be so proud of this album especially to go forward without Christine in a declining music industry time. I give this album a solid B+
I revisited the Say You Will album listening to it on Apple Music tonight, Australia time. Let me reiterate to the dumber members on here who have commented about me posting at 3 am. I rarely if at all post here at 3 or 4 o’clock in the morning. I do sleep! I am just in a different time zone to most Ledgies. For the record it’s 11.20 pm Thursday here.

Anyway, the point of this post was that on Apple Music I was able to bring up the lyrics for every song except Come. Much to my surprise, John McVie was credited as a co-writer on almost every single song on the album. I think Thrown Down and Come were the only exceptions.

Can anyone clarify if John did indeed co-write on all these songs and if he did, what would he have written? Would it just be writing his bass progressions? Or did John contribute additional lyrics? I have also seen him credited as playing “black keys” on this album. Does that mean playing the sharps and the flats on a piano or keyboard instrument? If so isn’t that something that Lindsey and Stevie are perfectly capable of doing without John? So why would he have done it?

Please. Enlighten me if you can.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It must be a typo. I don't think John would have co-written anything on Say you Will. I believe he just played Bass

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 04-15-2021, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
It must be a typo. I don't think John would have co-written anything on Say you Will. I believe he just played Bass
Yes, but he would have written his own bass parts, wouldn’t he? Like he did on The Chain. Surely he had some creative input beyond just playing what Lindsey or Stevie told him to play.
And how do we explain the credit for “black keys” John was given?
Old 04-15-2021, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How has it been 18 years? That is just insane and I feel very old. I was 22 and just finished my last semester of college. It came out just as I was finishing my 'extended' summer internship from the year prior and starting my first post-college full time employment at the same company. I can still remember sitting in my little intern cubicle in the center of an Accounting department listening to the little clock radio on my desk at 10am when Peacekeeper was released because the local classic rock station was going to play the first new single from the new Fleetwood Mac album. It was a great time...and now I'm 40? Bah!

I tend to like the album more than many here. But it ended up being too long and has what I consider a lot of clunkers. I've never found the appreciation for Illume that so many have. My favorites:

Thrown Down - this still holds up
Miranda - great beat, catchy
Say You Will - Stevie trying to be Christine. It's not great, but it works. The ending with the kids is lame
Peacekeeper - Again, like the previous song, it's not great, but it works. A solid Lindsey song, I'd put it on the same shelf as Eyes of the World, In My World, or Big Love
Running Through the Garden - I love this one and wish it would've remained in the set beyond Columbus
Steal Your Heart Away - Classic Fleetwood Mac sound...hmmm, I wonder why??
Bleed to Love Her - Another one that has that classic sound...and it didn't hurt that I knew it already from The Dance
Everybody Finds Out - my absolute favorite. A real kick-a$$ song. This 100% should have had the hell played out of it throughout the tour and become a regular in the greatest hits tours that followed.

It completely misses Christine in so many ways. Add 3 of her songs and her voice on the above songs, and it would be a knock out album. But for what they were trying to do, I think it worked. It's not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. And I think it's as listenable as Mirage or Tango still.