User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2006, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
It's ok, Foxy. No matter what anyone says, just remember that Bekka's still a backup singer.
Just a backup singer? Sharon is JUST a backup singer. Bekka writes songs for albums that sell in the millions. Bekka tours with acts that do things like sell out arenas in major cities. (The last time Sharon was on a tour like that was the short SYW tour.) I think it's a safe bet to say that Bekka is having THE most successful career today of any of the ex-Mac.

Honestly, I don't think Bekka wants to be the headline artist. She's reportedly turned down a few very lucrative deals. I don't think she has any interest in having the superstardom that Stevie has. Bekka makes a buttload of cash singing in stadiums, but isn't so popular that she couldn't enjoy a night out without being hassled by people (other than the ultra die-hards like a few of us on here) wanting an autograph.

Bekka has considerably more range and volume than Stevie ever had. But, Stevie is the singer/songwriter, and a personality. Her vocal range is pretty limited, especially compared to her bandmates, and she didn't have the lion's share of hits, but her voice is almost instantly recognizable and her image, though simple, is larger than life. She's the Grace Slick of Fleetwood Mac.

So, who's the better singer? It's a matter of preference, or as I like to say, Christine McVie. But, there's ABSOLUTELY no disputing the fact that Bekka Bramlett SMOKES Stevie Nicks as a tambourine player.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Just a backup singer? Sharon is JUST a backup singer. Bekka writes songs for albums that sell in the millions. Bekka tours with acts that do things like sell out arenas in major cities. (The last time Sharon was on a tour like that was the short SYW tour.) I think it's a safe bet to say that Bekka is having THE most successful career today of any of the ex-Mac.

Honestly, I don't think Bekka wants to be the headline artist. She's reportedly turned down a few very lucrative deals. I don't think she has any interest in having the superstardom that Stevie has. Bekka makes a buttload of cash singing in stadiums, but isn't so popular that she couldn't enjoy a night out without being hassled by people (other than the ultra die-hards like a few of us on here) wanting an autograph.

Bekka has considerably more range and volume than Stevie ever had. But, Stevie is the singer/songwriter, and a personality. Her vocal range is pretty limited, especially compared to her bandmates, and she didn't have the lion's share of hits, but her voice is almost instantly recognizable and her image, though simple, is larger than life. She's the Grace Slick of Fleetwood Mac.

So, who's the better singer? It's a matter of preference, or as I like to say, Christine McVie. But, there's ABSOLUTELY no disputing the fact that Bekka Bramlett SMOKES Stevie Nicks as a tambourine player.
Stevie may not have a range as large as Bekka - but if Bekka did all the touring and lived the crazy life Stevie has, Im sure Bekka's voice would have changed as well. Don't forget, Stevie is damn near 60. While Bekka's voice may be "better" - Stevie's voice has alot of character.

And who cares about who is a better tambourine player Stevie playing the tambourine is more of a gimmick than anything else....
Old 04-21-2006, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyluva
Stevie may not have a range as large as Bekka - but if Bekka did all the touring and lived the crazy life Stevie has, Im sure Bekka's voice would have changed as well. Don't forget, Stevie is damn near 60. While Bekka's voice may be "better" - Stevie's voice has alot of character.

And who cares about who is a better tambourine player Stevie playing the tambourine is more of a gimmick than anything else....
Besides, I bet Stevie was better. Also, Stevie's sense of harmony smokes anyone else's.
Also - who does Bekka tour with? Not that I don't believe you, I just didn't realize she, uh, was with such big acts or whatever. And how is she having the most successful career? Do you mean she tours with acts as their opener or something?

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-21-2006, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
Besides, I bet Stevie was better. Also, Stevie's sense of harmony smokes anyone else's.
But then, you're not biased or anything.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Also - who does Bekka tour with? Not that I don't believe you, I just didn't realize she, uh, was with such big acts or whatever. And how is she having the most successful career? Do you mean she tours with acts as their opener or something?
No, she is just a back-up singer who writes the occasional song - So Johnny Stew was right.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Why are you talking to yourself from the third person again?
Old 04-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SortaSavageLike
Why are you talking to yourself from the third person again?

You're so amusing, truly. You should make a career out of stand-up.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Not as biased as you are against her. I think an objective person would also site Stevie's unusual sense of harmony as smokin' as well. I think she's awesome because she uses her voice in unusual, never before heard, completely unique ways. But others like a more straightforward, less complex singer, and I understand that. Nevertheless, to say she cannot sing strikes me as someone who maybe hasn't heard a lot of her live performances, or even most of her album tracks.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Besides, I bet Stevie was better.
Actually, Bekka's tambourine was used in the mix, which wasn't the case for Stevie. But, honestly, if you get offended that somebody thinks Bekka did a better job of slapping around a tambourine, then you need to get a life.
Quote:
Also, Stevie's sense of harmony smokes anyone else's.
I've always admired that about Stevie. Actually, it's probably the biggest thing I admire about Stevie.
Quote:
No, she is a backing vocalist, to be sure. But, to say that she's ONLY a backing vocalist doesn't really tell the full story. She tours with the likes of Faith Hill and Billy Joel. In fact, the latter called her personally to sing for him. Now, how many other former members of Fleetwood Mac (or even current members of Fleetwood Mac as solo artists) are playing THAT size show? NONE! No, she isn't a headline or opening act, but damn that's an impressive gig! The only step up from that level gig is something like a Rolling Stones gig, which is ironic, as I always thought Bekka would be perfect for "Gimme Shelter." Plus, Bekka has contributed material to Faith Hill's albums. Those certainly tend to sell well, which means she's probably getting a nice chunk of money from the royalties.

Calling Bekka "just a backing vocalist" is like calling Neal Heywood "just a backing guitarist." Neal contributed to an album and did two tours (about 220 gigs) with the band. He is an important part of the overall process of making music for Fleetwood Mac, and saying anything less really undercuts his importance to that process. And, I think the same is true for Bekka in regards to Faith Hill.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-21-2006, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Actually, Bekka's tambourine was used in the mix, which wasn't the case for Stevie. But, honestly, if you get offended that somebody thinks Bekka did a better job of slapping around a tambourine, then you need to get a life.

I've always admired that about Stevie. Actually, it's probably the biggest thing I admire about Stevie.

No, she is a backing vocalist, to be sure. But, to say that she's ONLY a backing vocalist doesn't really tell the full story. She tours with the likes of Faith Hill and Billy Joel. In fact, the latter called her personally to sing for him. Now, how many other former members of Fleetwood Mac (or even current members of Fleetwood Mac as solo artists) are playing THAT size show? NONE! No, she isn't a headline or opening act, but damn that's an impressive gig! The only step up from that level gig is something like a Rolling Stones gig, which is ironic, as I always thought Bekka would be perfect for "Gimme Shelter." Plus, Bekka has contributed material to Faith Hill's albums. Those certainly tend to sell well, which means she's probably getting a nice chunk of money from the royalties.

Calling Bekka "just a backing vocalist" is like calling Neal Heywood "just a backing guitarist." Neal contributed to an album and did two tours (about 220 gigs) with the band. He is an important part of the overall process of making music for Fleetwood Mac, and saying anything less really undercuts his importance to that process. And, I think the same is true for Bekka in regards to Faith Hill.
I was joking about the tambo thing. That's cool Bekka is singing with those people, I didn't realize. Although, do Billy Joel's shows really sell better than Big Mac's? It already sucks that Faith Hill's shows sell better....
I'm not really familiar with Bekka, thanks for the info. I have nothing against her, I'm sure she's outstanding, I would just never like anyone's voice as well as Stevie's. I don't love it, I'm in love with it.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I owe Vicky an apology. It's turns out you were right, hon -- it is fun to rile people up.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been watching a couple of old videos, & I saw Bekka & Billy on TNN sing from their Bekka & Billy album. They were a charming duo & the country crowd really dug them. They sounded good. I don't know what song they sang because I don't have that album.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I owe Vicky an apology. It's turns out you were right, hon -- it is fun to rile people up.
I'll remember you said that. I can't wait.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nevertheless, to say she cannot sing strikes me as someone who maybe hasn't heard a lot of her live performances, or even most of her album tracks.
Right... 'cause I just bought all those f*cking cds, videos, etc because I thought they'd look pretty sitting on my shelf.

And Stew? Now you know: Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stevie may not have a range as large as Bekka - but if Bekka did all the touring and lived the crazy life Stevie has, Im sure Bekka's voice would have changed as well.
I doubt it. Bekka's parents still have very strong voices. I saw a recent clip of Delaney Bramlet singing "Everybody Loves A Winner" on his website, and it sounded every bit as good as how he did it in 1967 on Delaney & Bonnie's album "Home." Bonnie's voice is very strong, too. They lived even crazier lives, partied a lot harder, and are a little older than Stevie. Bekka, too, from what I've heard, used to date a lot of the big hair metal guys back in the day. But, I think she decided early on that she wasn't going to make the same mistakes as her folks or their friends.

Stevie NEVER had a strong voice. That doesn't mean it isn't good. In fact, that it's not as strong is why I think she is able to blend her voice in with others so well. She doesn't have the vocal strength to overpower the mix. And, I think it lends itself well to that fragile quality that makes her music so powerful to people. To be fair, Bekka probably had the strongest voice of ANY Fleetwood Mac singer, male or female.

Stevie and Bekka come from two completely different schools of music. Stevie is a singer/songwriter. Singer/songwriters aren't necessarily known for their amazing vocal ability. Bekka comes from a family that is known for their powerful voices. (So, there is the who genetic thing.) Comparing Stevie to Bekka is like comparing James Taylor to Al Green.

Quote:
Don't forget, Stevie is damn near 60. While Bekka's voice may be "better" - Stevie's voice has alot of character.
Please. Bekka just turned 38. She's hardly a spring chicken anymore. Bekka's voice sounds about the same today, with a lot of touring under her belt, as it did when I first heard it in 1992. Stevie's voice had changed drastically by 1986 (when she was 38). BTW, I didn't say Bekka's voice was better. I said it was stronger and had more volume. What they do is so different that it's not really worth comparing. The only Stevie Nicks song I've heard Bekka sing is GDW, and, again, too apples-and-oranges to compare. I like both versions (well, Stevie's not so much during the 87-90 period).

THE Stephen Hopkins