Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Except for the fact that she was doing this AFTER he left the band "for good."

There was no hope, at that time, for Lindsey to ever come back and very little good will toward anyone at that time. Even a couple of years later, I think she was quoted somewhere as saying Lindsey would never come back and there would never be a Rumours-era FM reunion (too lazy to look things up, sorry).

If she wanted to, she could have (and others WOULD have) hung him out to dry at that moment. There was a lot of bitterness there. At the least, she could have refused to comment completely but she didn't. She said she attacked him first. She didn't have to set the record straight, but she did and I think that's the reason I never truly believed the abuse rumors to begin with...because of Stevie.

I don't see Stevie in the same light as Carol Ann. I just think she has too strong a personality to stay in a situation like that. And I also think she's very open to discussing all kinds of things as a "lesson" to others. That's why she's so open about her drug use, etc. I think, if she had been abused, even if she chose not to "out" Lindsey...she would have used the "one of my boyfriends" did this to me and I'm telling you to get out while you can, type of speeches.

Lots of people can be scary when angry. They can be snide, rude, crude, intimidating, yell, scream, throw things, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean that they lift one little finger in anger, though.

That's not to say Lindsey didn't with CAH. But, as I stated before, I (chose to) think there was something very wrong with him physically or mentally at the time. And I'm basing that on Carol Ann's own words, by the way. The way she described it leaves that interpretation open.

It's all subject to interpretation, I guess, and what you want to believe.

I've gone on record many, many times on this board as saying I love both Lindsey and Stevie. I've traveled far and wide (for me) to see them both, and I've put blinders on--for them both. So...I'm biased and will be the first to admit it. But I'm not hanging out to dry the people I think either of them are now, based on something they may have done 30 years ago.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
^^^

Well, she says, and has repeatedly said, LB is really scary when he is angry, etc. So, she does comment on that. Also, I do not see her coming to his defense by saying she attacked him. In fact, she never to my knowledge has ever said what LB did after she attacked him in the TITN argument other than it got ugly or something like that.

I think his violence toward her is something she would neverf discuss in public. After all, she is the peacekeeper and if she outed him in that regard, he'd likely leave FM for good.
Isn't that why domestic violence seems to be indestructable? I say: Come out of the closet and face it. People can be cruel. Including my musical hero. I think that a passionate controlfreak has some very dangerous dark sides. Esp when you combine it with drugs, booze, a passionate and dominant ex-partner and a very deep dense kind of love.
And the complex dependent bandsituation we all know about.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Except for the fact that she was doing this AFTER he left the band "for good."

There was no hope, at that time, for Lindsey to ever come back and very little good will toward anyone at that time. Even a couple of years later, I think she was quoted somewhere as saying Lindsey would never come back and there would never be a Rumours-era FM reunion (too lazy to look things up, sorry).

If she wanted to, she could have (and others WOULD have) hung him out to dry at that moment. There was a lot of bitterness there. At the least, she could have refused to comment completely but she didn't. She said she attacked him first. She didn't have to set the record straight, but she did and I think that's the reason I never truly believed the abuse rumors to begin with...because of Stevie.

I don't see Stevie in the same light as Carol Ann. I just think she has too strong a personality to stay in a situation like that. And I also think she's very open to discussing all kinds of things as a "lesson" to others. That's why she's so open about her drug use, etc. I think, if she had been abused, even if she chose not to "out" Lindsey...she would have used the "one of my boyfriends" did this to me and I'm telling you to get out while you can, type of speeches.

Lots of people can be scary when angry. They can be snide, rude, crude, intimidating, yell, scream, throw things, etc. That doesn't necessarily mean that they lift one little finger in anger, though.

That's not to say Lindsey didn't with CAH. But, as I stated before, I (chose to) think there was something very wrong with him physically or mentally at the time. And I'm basing that on Carol Ann's own words, by the way. The way she described it leaves that interpretation open.

It's all subject to interpretation, I guess, and what you want to believe.

I've gone on record many, many times on this board as saying I love both Lindsey and Stevie. I've traveled far and wide (for me) to see them both, and I've put blinders on--for them both. So...I'm biased and will be the first to admit it. But I'm not hanging out to dry the people I think either of them are now, based on something they may have done 30 years ago.

I tend to agree with your comments, Regina. Both pretty blonde haired chicks, but totally different personalities. In Stevie's mind she was stronger than Lindsey, or so she expressed in her songs. Yet there's no one stronger than someone enraged, fueled by alcohol and cocaine. Carol Ann was weaker than Lindsey. She was the dependent personality. And, as Stevie said in her comments while in the strangle hold, if the band didn't kill him for harming her, her father and brother would 'kill him.' Kill him? Was this the Nicks family or the Corleone family she was referring to? I hardly see Jess Nicks taking a contract out on Lindsey. But clearly Stevie thought, based on her utterances at the scene, that she had some sense of "back up" and support system.

Carol Ann, at that time, didn't seem to have that back up. She seemed a bit estranged from her family, or at least isolating some of the facts of her life from them. I doubt she was telling her (was it 5) sisters that the beautiful rock star boyfriend that she had was periodly abusing her (see page 357) until she actually left. Even then, she didn't tell her family what the doctor said. There's a definite "shame" sense in people that have been abused, and some people never reveal it. She didn't even tell Stevie about it, when she had the chance. (see pages 329-330) Instead, she changed the subject.

I also agree with you on the neurological effects of the combination of cocaine, alcohol, self medication with seizure medications and his own faulty wired brain synapes that fostered his episodic behaviors. He wasn't like that all the time. There is also NOTHING to suggest ANY of this behavior occured prior to Stevie & Lindsey joining Fleetwood Mac and getting involved with the drugs.

But at the same time, while you suggest that Stevie wasn't abused, you forget he did publicly abuse her. I'm not talking about the Tango episode, but rather the New Zealand show. Two strikes your out? Does there have to be a third acknowledged episode of abuse on Stevie to suggest he clearly had (and I do say HAD) an abuse problem on women during those drug fueled days? Even the men were afraid of him, as outlined in the book. Again, I firmly believe the combination of drugs and alcohol played a part in this. While Lindsey has stated he wasn't under the power of drugs the way the others were, I'd have to disagree. The effects they had on him were every bit as savage, maybe more so, than on the others. He didn't even remember it.

Yesterday's gone. I DO believe that, otherwise I could not be a fan of this band. I believe they were all given a new lease on life. You can't watch The Dance or any of their solo work and not believe that.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Dreamz19
This message has been deleted by Dreamz19.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
. . . She didn't have to set the record straight, but she did and I think that's the reason I never truly believed the abuse rumors to begin with...because of Stevie . . . .
Well, she never said LB did not beat her, hit her, or whatever. She said she attacked him first To me, that is not denying her ever hit her.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Isn't that why domestic violence seems to be indestructable? I say: Come out of the closet and face it. People can be cruel. Including my musical hero. I think that a passionate controlfreak has some very dangerous dark sides. Esp when you combine it with drugs, booze, a passionate and dominant ex-partner and a very deep dense kind of love.
And the complex dependent bandsituation we all know about.
Well, as long as she confronted him with it and got out of that situation, I do not see why she needs to tell the world about the private matter. CAH chose to do so, but that was her choice and IMO she did it for money, which I do not hold against her as and again, it was her story to sell, just as it was LB's story to write, sing, and talk about for money.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

But at the same time, while you suggest that Stevie wasn't abused, you forget he did publicly abuse her. I'm not talking about the Tango episode, but rather the New Zealand show. Two strikes your out? Does there have to be a third acknowledged episode of abuse on Stevie to suggest he clearly had (and I do say HAD) an abuse problem on women during those drug fueled days? Even the men were afraid of him, as outlined in the book. Again, I firmly believe the combination of drugs and alcohol played a part in this. While Lindsey has stated he wasn't under the power of drugs the way the others were, I'd have to disagree. The effects they had on him were every bit as savage, maybe more so, than on the others. He didn't even remember it.
I agree with you. I can also vaguely remember reading where Stevie mentioned that the words they said to each other during their split was more painful than the physical fights they had. She said something along those lines. While I don't think their physical incidents were as sereve as CAH reports, there definitely seemed to be some form of physical abuse in their relationship as well. Whether it was Stevie hitting him first or Lindsey pushing her etc.

Last edited by Dreamz19; 07-28-2007 at 06:22 PM..
Old 07-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, as long as she confronted him with it and got out of that situation, I do not see why she needs to tell the world about the private matter. CAH chose to do so, but that was her choice and IMO she did it for money, which I do not hold against her as and again, it was her story to sell, just as it was LB's story to write, sing, and talk about for money.
americans think so different.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You really think that Stevie Nicks publicly publishing that LB beat her would somehow be therapy for her? I think it is salacious and it sells, see CAH's and MF's book. But, that is just not La Nicks. She has always said that the story of her life a great and fascinating one; but she has also said she would rather couch it in terms of her poetry and leave the world wondering. So, apparently, that is how she chooses and chose to tell the world about her life and all that went on. She does haoever, discuss some things very frankly, like her addictions, weight, etc. But, those involve only her. In other words, discussing them does not effect anyone but her.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I tend to agree with your comments, Regina. Both pretty blonde haired chicks, but totally different personalities. In Stevie's mind she was stronger than Lindsey, or so she expressed in her songs. Yet there's no one stronger than someone enraged, fueled by alcohol and cocaine. Carol Ann was weaker than Lindsey. She was the dependent personality.
Yes. But there is a needy, dependent side to Stevie also, it's just that her tough personality is present enough that it overrules the neediness when need be. Carol Ann clearly had no backbone. That is also why I think Stevie was the one that was obviously hardest to 'get away from' (and not just because they happened to be in the same band )and 'get over', because of her strong personality. We all know Lindsey admitted that part of the reason he left in 1987 was because of the issues with Stevie and the closure he needed. I think that Stevie was, in many ways, a worthy adversary and that brought out both the best but also the worst in him. It kept him on his toes, whereas girls like Carol Ann were, in retrospect, pretty forgettable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamz19
I agree with you. I can also vaguely remember reading where Stevie mentioned that the words they said to each other during their split was more painful than the physical fights they had. She said something along those lines. While I don't think their physical incidents were as sereve as CAH reports, there definitely seemed to be some form of physical abuse in their relationship as well. Whether it was Stevie hitting him first or Lindsey pushing her etc.
She said that they shouted horrible obscenities at each other and spewed words that they had been cropping up for years. Words that were so bad they were never able to come back from it. She said that was definitely the end of Stevie and Lindsey.

Quote:
Thank you. Sometimes it's like talking to a brick wall.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
Thank you. Sometimes it's like talking to a brick wall.
hey!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Dreamz19
Old 07-29-2007, 02:24 AM
Dreamz19
Old 07-29-2007, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post

She said that they shouted horrible obscenities at each other and spewed words that they had been cropping up for years. Words that were so bad they were never able to come back from it. She said that was definitely the end of Stevie and Lindsey.
That was probaly what I remembered and thought it was about their 1976 break up. I read that quote way before I knew about the Tango incident. I vaguely remembered her saying the words hurt more or something along those lines.

Last edited by Dreamz19; 07-29-2007 at 03:13 AM..
Old 07-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, she never said LB did not beat her, hit her, or whatever. She said she attacked him first To me, that is not denying her ever hit her.

She also never said he hit her.

Don't quote me Mick either...what he wrote doesn't matter to me, esp when he said he wants to rewrite. The NZ incident was the one where he sang offkey? And mocked her during Rhiannon? And kicked his foot out? That seems like drunken, bitter behavior to me, not necessarily physical abuse. Show me where a fan saw him kick the **** out of her onstage and I may agree. Out of all the fans in that arena not ONE has ever come forward to say they witnessed this abuse? Chris was mad about him singing offkey and embarrassing the band...is this the incident you are talking about?

Curious, do you think Stevie has done things that LB wouldn't talk about publically either? She could be just as abusive as you seem to think LB is, behind closed doors.

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 07-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie721 View Post
hey!
There are always exceptions.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
She also never said he hit her.

Don't quote me Mick either...what he wrote doesn't matter to me, esp when he said he wants to rewrite. The NZ incident was the one where he sang offkey? And mocked her during Rhiannon? And kicked his foot out? That seems like drunken, bitter behavior to me, not necessarily physical abuse. Show me where a fan saw him kick the **** out of her onstage and I may agree. Out of all the fans in that arena not ONE has ever come forward to say they witnessed this abuse? Chris was mad about him singing offkey and embarrassing the band...is this the incident you are talking about?

Curious, do you think Stevie has done things that LB wouldn't talk about publically either? She could be just as abusive as you seem to think LB is, behind closed doors.
1. I never said La Nicks was not abusive -- I would have no way of knowing that. I will say though that she does not strike me as such.

2. I do not think LB is abusive without support. And, you can color it anyway you like, but many have said he is such.

Ostrich head in the sand anyone

Old 07-29-2007, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM View Post
i'm sure you are all going to kick me off the lindsey forum but i'm going to put my two cents in anyway.

i really think some of you are really going out of your way to discredit this women claiming that most of what she writes can't be true because you just might be afraid that some of it is true. look, i love lindsey's music as much as the next person around here but let's face it - the guy was not a saint. we all know he's had an anger management problem in the past. whether it was due to drugs, alcohol or other medications he might have been on for medical conditions, youth - i don't know. i tend to believe that some of what she says has a basis in truth. she claims that christine was even a witness to some of the abuse. you never know what goes on behind the closed doors of people's homes although a few of you seem to think you were there. a combination of drugs and/or alcohol can make people do strange or horrible things.

i'm glad that he finally seems happy with children now and seems to love kristen very much. maybe the lack of drugs, alcohol and aging finally calmed him down. i can only hope so for the sake of his children that this is the case. This book represents, to me, a more indepth objective perspective of the band that we will never see from any "outside" author or band members. Stevie always mentions of writing a tell-all book. It will never happen, but if did, it's likely 50% of it would be fiction.

she lives in the united states where she has the freedom of press. she's entitled to write the story of life if she wants to. i'm sure that some of lindsey's songs that he's published and made money from are written about/for her.

okay, ready - aim - fire....

No fire here! I agree with you. The anger and venom directed at her from some fans seems a little misguided. Yeah, she probably got some facts/timelines wrong --yet, actual band members can be blamed for that (Stevie?!). I don't feel she had any agenda other than writing about her experiences during her time with the band. Surprisingly, she was very forgiving and non-judgemental...just wrote it as she lived it.

Overall, it was a very unusual look inside the inner workings of the band that has never been revealed. I particularly liked reading about the tours, studio work, and the drugs!! To totally discount the book speaks loudly about the expectations and protections that others wish to preserve. And to say that money was the single motive is laughable! Perhaps it would have been if she wrote it during the band's heyday. The band is way past it's prime. The market for this book is relatively small -- I don't see it going head to head with Harry Potter.

But no big surprises here: Lindsey is/was posessive and hot-headed. Stevie is/was odd,cold and bitchy. Collectively they were a big dysfunctional mess. This book represents possibly the only document that reveals some of the gritty truth of that time in their careers. I suspect if Stevie ever wrote her tell-all book she likes to mention now and then, you could deem half of it pure fiction.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-29-2007 at 03:35 PM..