The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-17-2005, 04:29 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Kiln house tour, Munich tape, Etc....

First time to post here. Big fan of Peters for such a long time. I got turned on to his playing back in the late seveties in high school. Sorry to break this into several parts, but I got several things to say, none of which are particularly of interest to most of you propably. First, are there any bootlegs of the jam shows when Peter came back to bail Mac on the Kiln house tour? Secondly, has there ever been any follow up to re acquire the Munich tape Peter gave to his ex wife in Los Angeles? Finally, I guess it was because Mick was so tall and Jeremy was so short, but I pictured Peter as a far taller person than I suppose he is. At the rock and roll hall of fame he seemed really short. Ive met Stevie and in her highest heels she's tiny, so it was comparitive really.

One final comment. I remember a thread a while back concerning replacing Danny Kirwan if the band re united. I never saw mention of the most obvious person who could not only cover for Danny, but cover for Peter if necessary. That is obviously Gary Moore. Not only would he fit in being an old friend of Peters, but I am sure he would be playing Peters Les Paul as well. It seemed like such a good fit.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentull
Secondly, has there ever been any follow up to re acquire the Munich tape Peter gave to his ex wife in Los Angeles?
If there is, I would be very interested, having heard somewhere that Peter regarde this being his best live performance ever
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentull
One final comment. I remember a thread a while back concerning replacing Danny Kirwan if the band re united. I never saw mention of the most obvious person who could not only cover for Danny, but cover for Peter if necessary. That is obviously Gary Moore. Not only would he fit in being an old friend of Peters, but I am sure he would be playing Peters Les Paul as well. It seemed like such a good fit.
As for me I would prefer to have Snowy White instead of Gary Moore. Snowy has so much "feel" in his playing, whereas Gary is a bit too heavy, using more distortion and speed tha necessary
Old 06-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=zentull]First time to post here. Big fan of Peters for such a long time. I got turned on to his playing back in the late seveties in high school. Sorry to break this into several parts, but I got several things to say, none of which are particularly of interest to most of you propably. First, are there any bootlegs of the jam shows when Peter came back to bail Mac on the Kiln house tour? Secondly, has there ever been any follow up to re acquire the Munich tape Peter gave to his ex wife in Los Angeles? [QUOTE]

I have two shows from the Kiln house tour feauturing Peter. The sound
is really bad on both, but it's Peter alright, leading the band in long cool jams.
There's also the Swing Auditorium tape from that tour, but
it's still not clear whether Peter really plays on that one.

Green hasn't even seen his ex-wife since the breakup, so who knows where she is, along with the acid tape...
Old 06-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino
I have two shows from the Kiln house tour feauturing Peter. The sound is really bad on both, but it's Peter alright, leading the band in long cool jams. There's also the Swing Auditorium tape from that tour, but
it's still not clear whether Peter really plays on that one.

Green hasn't even seen his ex-wife since the breakup, so who knows where she is, along with the acid tape...
Yes, those two Kiln house shows have been circulating and I agree, the sound is really bad. I've got plenty of bootlegs and these might just have the worst sound quality of any of them. But you still can easily hear Peter's playing, it's very distinctive and not hard to distinguish his playing from Danny's. The jam on one of the shows (from Fillmore East) reminds me of Peter's "The End of the Game" (lots of wah-wah guitar, both from Peter & Danny), while the other one (from Rock Pile on Long Island) reminds me more of the "Madge/Underway" jams. But I have to say the sound quality is so poor that I can't listen to these recordings just to enjoy them, it's more just for the historical nature of them.

As to that San Bernardino Swing Auditorium show, there was a long discussion about that on the Pre-Rumours forum last year (see San Bernardino 1971), and the conclusion was that Peter is indeed on that recording. This recording is supposed to be from the first show that Peter & Nigel Watson joined the band on after Jeremy's departure, and it's very hard to identify Peter's playing (although there's clearly a second guitarist, the playing is tough to positively identify as Peter, at least to me). What nailed the identification was Nigel's conga playing during the extended "Tell Me All The Things You Do". If Nigel was there, Peter had to also have been there!

As for the Munich "acid tape", that must be the "Holy Grail" of Peter Green recordings! I've never seen any mention of it in trading circles so I don't think it's ever surfaced. Wonder whether it still exists?