User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
GateandGarden, I was just wondering...you said a few posts back that you have a thing for stethoscopes. What's the deal-io with that!?!? Why steths and why name them? This is in no way a dig, I'm just curious. Sorry this is off topic everyone else!
Ooooooooooh, thanks for asking! I did this big long explanation thingy in some thread in the Chit-Chat forum but it's so lost now! I have no idea where it is.

So here's a shorter version. When I was a little kid, about four or five, I had one of those Fisher-Price doctor's kits and I was obsessed with the stethoscope in it. I was constantly listening to my heart and was fascinated by its sounds...so soothing and comforting. As soon as I got out into the world and started going to school, I just wanted to listen to other people's hearts. It's quite an obsession. It's how I choose to celebrate life itself. I love to hear people's hearts and try to memorize them in an effort to keep those people with me always. I wanted to be a cardiologist for awhile, but I realized that not only do I suck at math and science, I have a sort of romantic (romantic like Hawthorne, Wordsworth, Melville, etc., not candy and flowers) fascination with the heart that I can't allow to be tainted by some of the realities. Also, I can't deal with the idea of listening to random people's hearts all day because that would take something away from it for me. It's really only something I do with people I know. It's not so meaningful to me if it's an every day, commonplace thing.

Okay, I feel myself beginning to ramble. My life revolves around the music of the heart, okay? (Sorry, I just get so annoyed with myself when I say I'm going to tell someone the "short version" and that turns out to be so untrue!) I own a Yahoo group dedicated to listening to hearts called perfect_iambic_rhythm. It's doesn't get a lot of action but it's there.

Oh yeah, and call me Hillary. Although I just realized that I don't know what else to call you besides cliffdweller.

EDIT: Had to change the link 'cause it was wrong.

Last edited by GateandGarden; 04-19-2005 at 10:37 AM..
Old 04-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How about we change the subject of this thread to "the brilliance of Christine McVie and why it's not hard to understand a professor's crush on her?"
Now there's a great idea! This is the Christine McVie forum, afterall.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
But I don't know about Christine. It seems like people think they have her figured out, but I wonder sometimes. She's so private. She purposefully put herself in the background. She didn't want fame, as we've said many times. To me, this implies that there's a whole lot more to her than any of us will ever know. I tend to be attracted to personalities like hers because I think, Won't it be great if I'm the one person who really gets to know her? People who are like puzzles are thrilling to know, IMO. Maybe there are all kinds of private aspects of her life that are more bizarre than we think, and they would be fascinating, but the point is that we're not supposed to know because she never really wanted us to, right? She didn't want to be "the star" of the band. Am I making sense? I've been thinking about this for awhile but have never voiced it on this board.[/COLOR]
I'll tackle this. I've always thought of Christine as pretty much what you see is what you get. Everybody who knows her usually describes her as warm, down to earth & unpretentious. So I assume that's the way she really is. I'd be shocked if there is anything bizarre in her private life, although she has described her Dennis Wilson years as the most bizarre period of her life. I think of her as just a normal person. She is very private & in alot of ways I'm glad that she is that way. There are some things I'd rather not know.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
So, what about the other things I said in my last post? About there being more to Christine than any of us will ever know because she doesn't intend for us to know because that's part of how she is? (I'm kind of kidding in that I'm not telling you you must address it. I just had to bring it up again because I'm surprised that no one else ever addressed it).[/COLOR]
Maybe she'll write a tell-all book someday.

*lis falls over dead*

oh dear god that would truly be the end of me. She did sort of consider it on that recent VH1 thing, but I think she was just saying it to please the pushy host.

If she wrote a book I wouldn't want to know her deepest darkest secrets.... I'd just love to hear how she felt about things, different periods in her life and decisions she made. what was going on in that head of hers ?? questions questions.

-Lis
Old 04-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[COLOR=Navy]Also, I can't deal with the idea of listening to random people's hearts all day
Whew! For a minute there I thought you were just going up to people on the street! LOL! I was obsessed with those doctor's kits too, although I never played doctor, you know, in the Biblical sense?

Nice to meet you Hillary! You can call me Tracye, btw.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Ahh..yeah...but, how many of those "masses" KNOW those were Christine songs and was Christine singing?? I'll wager my great-great-grandkid's inheritance that they "assume" it is Stevie...that when they HEAR the songs, they get a mental picture of Stevie singing them, not Christine.

Actually when Mirage came out the word "Christine McVie" was becoming a household name. I remember hearing here is Christy McVie and Fleetwood Mac on MTV. Mainly because she was the beautiful blonde on the "Hold Me" Video. They said her name so much on MTV that people were calling her Christy. Chris was quite popular in the 80's. So much so that "Got a Hold On Me" was played every 10 min on the radio from Classic Rock to AC. She did get a lot of exposure as the lead in her videos.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Maybe she'll write a tell-all book someday.

*lis falls over dead*

oh dear god that would truly be the end of me. She did sort of consider it on that recent VH1 thing, but I think she was just saying it to please the pushy host.

If she wrote a book I wouldn't want to know her deepest darkest secrets.... I'd just love to hear how she felt about things, different periods in her life and decisions she made. what was going on in that head of hers ?? questions questions.

-Lis
I'm hoping she didn't say that just to please the host. That would be the ultimate for me, reading an entire book written by Christine McVie. However, if she were to write a book, she'd have to tell at least a few of her secrets & that might lead to the end of a few friendships. Remember Mick's book? But, I'll still hope for that book anyway.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

-Lis
Me too Lis. I love to hear Christine talk, {I like the way you talk--Slingblade } I think she's very eloquent and linear in her speech---she doesn't "fragmentize" and free associate. Not that there's anything wrong with "chunks" of speech to describe things that are difficult to put into words...we all do it. It's just that she seems to really put thought into what she's going to say and always sounds like she's imparting some great bit of wisdom or something. It's hard to describe!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I'm hoping she didn't say that just to please the host. That would be the ultimate for me, reading an entire book written by Christine McVie. However, if she were to write a book, she'd have to tell at least a few of her secrets & that might lead to the end of a few friendships. Remember Mick's book? But, I'll still hope for that book anyway.
I think maybe Chris could write a book with enough tact that she wouldn't end any friendships...? She seems the type who'd keep any real 'dirt' to herself and just share the safer stuff. Which is fine with me!

But then I guess you never know what might upset someone...Mick obviously thought the stuff in his book was all oK.. but some of it sure did hurt LB and SN..and even though he had only glowing things to say about Chris, he gave John a few digs as well. But really it all happened so long ago....I hope folks could accept that it was a crazy time, and all of us make mistakes, and not get all peeved about it...but that's easy for me to say, no one's writing sh*t about me LOL.

-Lis
Old 04-19-2005, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think maybe Chris could write a book with enough tact that she wouldn't end any friendships...? She seems the type who'd keep any real 'dirt' to herself and just share the safer stuff. Which is fine with me!
-Lis
I agree, but you know those book publishers. They want the dirt. I'd be happy with anything she'd want to write, even if it were only the safe stuff.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Whew! For a minute there I thought you were just going up to people on the street! LOL! I was obsessed with those doctor's kits too, although I never played doctor, you know, in the Biblical sense?

Nice to meet you Hillary! You can call me Tracye, btw.

Hey Tracye! Nice to meet you!
Old 04-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
So while she may not have wanted to be the "star," I think she was jealous of Stevie's popularity and all the attention she got.
I've never read anything from either to suggest that at all. If you can, look at the Don Kirchner show from 1974. Bob Welch sang four songs, while Chris sang only one. So, I think she would probably have been more happy that the spotlight would have been off of her.

Christine's main concern was the money. After nearly losing everything in 1974, I think she was just happy to be in a hugely popular band. And Stevie's popularity ensured that the money would keep coming in. It secured her financial future. I think they all had their place: Mick was the leader, John was the anchor, Lindsey was the guru, Christine was the hitmaker, and Stevie was the star. It was a combination that seemed to work for them.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I've never read anything from either to suggest that at all. If you can, look at the Don Kirchner show from 1974. Bob Welch sang four songs, while Chris sang only one. So, I think she would probably have been more happy that the spotlight would have been off of her.
Would you say that Christine typically spent less time in the spotlight than her other vocalists/instrumentalist/writer bandmates throughout the pre-BN era?
Old 04-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Would you say that Christine typically spent less time in the spotlight than her other vocalists/instrumentalist/writer bandmates throughout the pre-BN era?
In the shows w/ Bob Welch, she's practically invisible. I think she was happy to let him 'take the stage'.

-Lis
Old 04-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In the shows w/ Bob Welch, she's practically invisible. I think she was happy to let him 'take the stage'.

-Lis
This is interesting. I guess I never realized that Bob was that interested in being a "frontman." I've kind of been assuming all this time that neither one of them had that kind of personality. Or maybe Bob doesn't have it as much as, say, Stevie, but he had it more so than Chris did/does.