The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-19-2005, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris is classy. I love her, always have.

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 04-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
The masses that made all of those Christine songs Top 40 hits?

Don't see ya complaining about that popularity.
Ahh..yeah...but, how many of those "masses" KNOW those were Christine songs and was Christine singing?? I'll wager my great-great-grandkid's inheritance that they "assume" it is Stevie...that when they HEAR the songs, they get a mental picture of Stevie singing them, not Christine.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Well, Brian, Lard knows I love her. Sorry, I meant loathe her. I DON'T loathe her, only her army...
That reminds me of one of the magnets on my fridge. It says "I've got nothing against God--it's his fan club I can't stand."
Old 04-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I'm very much like you... most of what I like isn't popular or is only marginally popular. And, of course, there are the artists I adore who were once popular, but would now be considered "has-beens."

I just listen to what turns me on, and I ignore whether or not anyone else likes it. (Well, ok, I will admit that I take pride in Fleetwood Mac/Stevie/Christine/Lindsey having a hit album or song... because, to me, it feels like the hometeam won the World Series.)

Well, I don't necessarily agree with that. Some songs are hugely successful because they're just so damned incredible, it's hard to not love them. And some very intelligently crafted, artistic and moving pieces of music have also had the good fortune of being adored by the masses.

I mean, I certainly don't think there's anything "wrong" with "You Make Loving Fun" or "Little Lies," or other massively popular songs like that.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that Fleetwood Mac has been monstrously successful, but I don't see that as a fault of theirs or their music. And, yeah, Stevie's had the more popular solo career, but to write off that music as simply appealing to the lowest common dominator (if that is what you were doing -- and you've made similar comments about her solo career in the past, so I don't think I'm necessarily jumping to conclusions here as to how you feel about her success), is to implicate Christine as well.
Especially when you consider she's had such a large number of hit singles. So let's not do that double-standard thing here.

Some popular artists stand apart from the crowd... the ones who are enduring, and who reach "icon" and "legend" status. They're popular, but their ability to reach mass audiences goes way beyond any appeals to the lowest common denominator. They have talent AND that... je ne sais quoi... and that's why they endure.
This. Post. Rocks.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden

...But I don't know about Christine. It seems like people think they have her figured out, but I wonder sometimes. She's so private. She purposefully put herself in the background. She didn't want fame, as we've said many times. To me, this implies that there's a whole lot more to her than any of us will ever know. I tend to be attracted to personalities like hers because I think, Won't it be great if I'm the one person who really gets to know her? People who are like puzzles are thrilling to know, IMO. Maybe there are all kinds of private aspects of her life that are more bizarre than we think, and they would be fascinating, but the point is that we're not supposed to know because she never really wanted us to, right? She didn't want to be "the star" of the band. Am I making sense? I've been thinking about this for awhile but have never voiced it on this board. (Or any board).
Sorry to quote myself in a lame attempt for attention, but I was hoping someone would address this and offer opinions and such.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I fell in love with Christine last summer when I got all into her Mirage songs, particularly "Only Over You," which no one but me likes.
I like it too!!

I love her Mirage songs, however, Tusk has my favorite Christine material. Brown Eyes, Think About Me, Honey Hi...LOVE THESE SONGS. I never understood why everyone on the Tusk survivor thread back in the day hated Honey Hi---what's wrong with this song?!?!?! I think it's understated brilliance. And those harmonies!?!? ~swoon~ love 'em.

How about we change the subject of this thread to "the brilliance of Christine McVie and why it's not hard to understand a professor's crush on her?"
Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
I like it too!!

I love her Mirage songs, however, Tusk has my favorite Christine material. Brown Eyes, Think About Me, Honey Hi...LOVE THESE SONGS. I never understood why everyone on the Tusk survivor thread back in the day hated Honey Hi---what's wrong with this song?!?!?! I think it's understated brilliance. And those harmonies!?!? ~swoon~ love 'em.

How about we change the subject of this thread to "the brilliance of Christine McVie and why it's not hard to understand a professor's crush on her?"
Glad someone else likes "Only Over You"!

I never got into "Honey Hi," though. I've tried many times but it just doesn't work out. I adore her other Tusk songs, though. "Brown Eyes" and "Never Forget" are my faves. "Never Forget" never gets enough love, IMO.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like it too!!

I love "Honey Hi."
Old 04-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
"Never Forget" never gets enough love, IMO.
It's a great album closer, and on such a hopeful note too. I think I'm going to listen to some Christine tomorrow before I take my final exam for my master's degree. Just sit back and soak in Christine's positive, hopeful vibes. Then, I'll walk in there and get my head handed to me. LOL!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I love "Honey Hi."
Finally!! Some mad props for this one, even if it is about Dennis Wilson!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's a great album closer, and on such a hopeful note too. I think I'm going to listen to some Christine tomorrow before I take my final exam for my master's degree. Just sit back and soak in Christine's positive, hopeful vibes. Then, I'll walk in there and get my head handed to me. LOL!
She'll put you in a good mood! Best of luck to you! (I'm sure there will be no handing over of heads).
Old 04-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She'll put you in a good mood! Best of luck to you! (I'm sure there will be no handing over of heads).
I hope not!

And thanks for the luck! I'm gonna need it.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry to quote myself in a lame attempt for attention, but I was hoping someone would address this and offer opinions and such.
I don't think great showmanship is in Christine's personality. She's just not as comfortable as being on stage as Stevie or Lindsey. So while she may not have wanted to be the "star," I think she was jealous of Stevie's popularity and all the attention she got. (Note: that's not a Christine bash. It's perfectly understandable.)

But anyway, if Stevie and Christine were able to coexist peacefully and even beyond that, become good friends, that speaks volumes about their character. I actually kind of think the arguing about them is disrespectful to them. Women are portrayed often enough in society as catty bitches who can't get along. Sorry, didn't mean to go off subject........
Old 04-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

GateandGarden, I was just wondering...you said a few posts back that you have a thing for stethoscopes. What's the deal-io with that!?!? Why steths and why name them? This is in no way a dig, I'm just curious. Sorry this is off topic everyone else!
Old 04-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer
I don't think great showmanship is in Christine's personality. She's just not as comfortable as being on stage as Stevie or Lindsey. So while she may not have wanted to be the "star," I think she was jealous of Stevie's popularity and all the attention she got. (Note: that's not a Christine bash. It's perfectly understandable.)

But anyway, if Stevie and Christine were able to coexist peacefully and even beyond that, become good friends, that speaks volumes about their character. I actually kind of think the arguing about them is disrespectful to them. Women are portrayed often enough in society as catty bitches who can't get along. Sorry, didn't mean to go off subject........
I always assumed she wasn't jealous because I figured she was comfortable in her position, but I know that sometimes even when you're generally comfortable, it still annoys you when someone else gets more attention.

I'm really glad that they were friends. I would hate it if they hadn't gotten along. I think the competition and comparisons and such are just bad for women. I think if it was a Peter/Jeremy or Peter/Lindsey or whatever thing, it probably wouldn't bother me as much. It's just that it takes so little to break a woman's spirit because our society sucks. It seems to me that women are always plagued with some kinds of insecurities, and I hate it when people perpetuate it by comparing them to each other. I'm just really sensitive to that. And I think it applies when we're talking about anything from physical attractiveness to musical talents and everything in between. And I know this is going too far, but it's in my head, so God knows I'm going to say it on this board! I know it's nearly impossible to avoid, but I just think that when someone says they prefer Christine's looks, it makes people who look more like Stevie feel insecure, and vice versa. But I guess I'm to blame as well because I've said many, many times that I prefer curvy, voluptuous women and not the really skinny type, and that's not nice to say when there are skinny women who are going to read it. But I think people like me are so rare. So many people, I think, would prefer a skinny lady if they were being completely honest, and that's depressing. Okay, now I'm just rambling.

So, what about the other things I said in my last post? About there being more to Christine than any of us will ever know because she doesn't intend for us to know because that's part of how she is? (I'm kind of kidding in that I'm not telling you you must address it. I just had to bring it up again because I'm surprised that no one else ever addressed it).