Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Ledgie

Default 24 bit vs. 16 bit

What exactly is the difference between 24bit and 16bit? I understand the whole sampling rate issue, but have never heard what this meant. I've noticed that 24bit mastered CDs are usually louder and seem to have a larger frequency range. But can a person actually burn a 24bit CD - or are all CDs burned at 16bit without a special program or drive? You mentioned the file sizes are twice as big - so that makes me wonder how a person COULD burn a 24bit CD over 40 minutes. AND is the 24bit sound better only on high end equipment, or is there an improvement on ANY output?

Kevin D. F. Highnight

"In my Distress, well I wanted someone to blame Me...
In my Devastation, I wanted SO to change...
In my way, Disaster was the only thing that I could depend on......."
Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm up to "Crystal" now. I'm almost in tears I'm so happy! Thank you so much for finding this and sharing it here! (And, of course, due thanks to the kind person who remastered the LP and shared his efforts online! )
Flawless? This is some of the best quality audio I've ever heard!
Btw, "Stephanie" reminds me quite a bit of "Eyes Of The World"... dare I say, like a better version of it, actually! Anyone else agree?
NB. Not necessarily in that order...
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
I'm up to "Crystal" now. I'm almost in tears I'm so happy! Thank you so much for finding this and sharing it here! (And, of course, due thanks to the kind person who remastered the LP and shared his efforts online! )
Flawless? This is some of the best quality audio I've ever heard!
Btw, "Stephanie" reminds me quite a bit of "Eyes Of The World"... dare I say, like a better version of it, actually! Anyone else agree?
Isn't it awesome?! You're welcome...

I actually had never thought about any comparisons between "Eyes Of The World" and "Stephanie". But now that you mention it, I can hear exactly what you mean in the melody... I like both, but do probably like "Stephanie" better. It's a very nicely, but simply arranged instrumental.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd8382 View Post
Isn't it awesome?! You're welcome...

I actually had never thought about any comparisons between "Eyes Of The World" and "Stephanie". But now that you mention it, I can hear exactly what you mean in the melody... I like both, but do probably like "Stephanie" better. It's a very nicely, but simply arranged instrumental.
Really? The first time I heard Stephanie....which was probably 9-10 years ago when I was in high school.....I recognized the melody from Eyes of the World. It's also the same melody in Lindsey's Bang the Drum (from Go Insane in 1984). I guess he just REALLY liked that melody.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnygog View Post
What exactly is the difference between 24bit and 16bit? I understand the whole sampling rate issue, but have never heard what this meant. I've noticed that 24bit mastered CDs are usually louder and seem to have a larger frequency range. But can a person actually burn a 24bit CD - or are all CDs burned at 16bit without a special program or drive? You mentioned the file sizes are twice as big - so that makes me wonder how a person COULD burn a 24bit CD over 40 minutes. AND is the 24bit sound better only on high end equipment, or is there an improvement on ANY output?
Does this help? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bit_depth
I only know about bits when it comes to computer (instruction set) architecture, I'm afraid.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycee View Post
Does this help? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_bit_depth
I only know about bits when it comes to computer (instruction set) architecture, I'm afraid.
Thanks for the link! That essentially explains it better than I ever could... Some "audiophiles" claim you can hear a difference when something is burned with 24-bit audio data... but yes, burning the tracks onto a regular CD would downgrade the audio to 16-bit anyways.

I will probably never afford/bother to have the high-end stereo setup necessary to actually hear a difference.

Last edited by jeffd8382; 04-21-2010 at 09:43 PM..
Old 04-22-2010, 03:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd8382 View Post
Thanks for the link! That essentially explains it better than I ever could... Some "audiophiles" claim you can hear a difference when something is burned with 24-bit audio data... but yes, burning the tracks onto a regular CD would downgrade the audio to 16-bit anyways.

I will probably never afford/bother to have the high-end stereo setup necessary to actually hear a difference.
Sure! After all, Wikipedia knows all!
I'd consider myself a novice audiophile - I always use headphones if intently listening to music nowadays. I doubt I'd ever worry about a stereo setup personally, but I'd be more than happy to exploit friends' stereo setups if given the chance!