Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-26-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
I think if she does one of Christine's songs, it would have to be Don't Stop. It wouldn't be a big risk for her since she's done it with her solo band before, and it's a crowdpleaser that the casual fans in the audience will know.

Regardless of whether Stevie should sing Everywhere, I don't think she could. It would have to be transposed into a key in which Stevie could hit the notes, and that would be so far removed from the original that it would be near unrecognizable. Either that or the backup singers pretty much sing the entire thing.
Stevie can't do an octave. It would be a bloody mess if she tried to sing that.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
then he sued them and got paid what he would’ve made without playing ~100 shows? I guess that’s how it worked out…
Do we even know how much he got? All that was said is that they settled.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2023, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
OTOH, by SYW, she had others she could work with. Lindsey, for whatever reason, couldn’t understand that. It’s like he forgot that Stevie made three solo albums and a Fleetwood Mac album since they last made an album together. He couldn’t or just didn’t adjust to that.
I’m not sold that she had others she could work with by the time Say You Will came around. TISL was a hodge podge of producers, Sheryl Crow being perhaps the most consistent at the end of the day along with John Shanks. The Dallas sessions were entirely scrapped. Seven years passed until she started working with Dave Stewart. It’s also interesting to note that she’s never worked with any of those folks on a large album project since. Dave was minimally involved with 24k Gold? She’s been faithful to Chris Lorde Alge for mixing.

One could argue that’s perhaps the biggest thing holding her back. She’s always had plenty of business people telling her why NOT to record albums and why she should do the greatest hits tours, but she hasn’t surrounded herself with a creative group of people in quite a long time.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-26-2023 at 09:21 AM..
Old 01-26-2023, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Some have short memories around here. Remember when the Mac tried some of Chris's songs on the Unleashed tour. It was Fleetwood Mac and it was a pathetic version of Say You Love Me. Stevie botched the simplest lyrics that she heard for almost 20 years.
Dear Lord, NO.

Here is a devil's advocate position. Lets say on both of her solo stints this summer she never mentions Chris and there are no tributes to anyone. I am fine with that. I dont honestly believe she does not miss Chris. Without Chris's loving demeanor, Stevie may not have had a career. Stevie knows that. But I could see this board lighting up what a witch Stevie is for not singing Christine songs or mentioning her.

When the Mac was on tour in 2018 and Lindsey was in the hospital, I remember this board lit up like a Christmas tree bashing them for not saying something or doing something on stage night after night. I was a silent minority that thought that was a good thing. They literally stabbed him in the back and threw him under the tour bus for ego and big money. I would have been furious if they dared to care about him now. I never said anything on the board until Lindsey's wife came out and said the same thing I said. With her cover, I came out and said it.
She has boxed herself in and is now pressed to put in a break in her show and do an even bigger memorial than Prince or Tom. If she does not do it, she will be vilified which sort of defeats the purpose, no?
Old 01-26-2023, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Still trying to wrap my head around that stretch in logic. I wasn’t aware you had to completely approve of someone to like their music. I would think someone who has certainly been critical of Stevie yet is still a fan would get the concept. I guess people don’t apply their own rules to themselves.

The 1975 album is my favorite. It’s an incredible band effort that was well produced without having excessive extraneous production (car horn notwithstanding). The songs, the voices, and the musicianship spoke for themselves. There are more setlist staples on that album than Tusk, Mirage, or Tango and they did it in just three months.

I’m not saying Lindsey’s Brian Wilson boner didn’t lead to some incredible music, but the excesses and musical fractures it led to was ultimately the band’s undoing as a working entity. For all the “Tusk is a masterpiece” comments, I have no doubt it would chap Lindsey’s ass if he knew people preferred the full band versions of his Tusk songs on the tour rehearsal videos.
I’m laughing about just the thought of the band left to finish Mirage and Tango on their own without Lindsey. I don’t think anyone in the band if you asked them today, would pin it all on Lindsey. There’s a reason BTM and Time sound like tanning salon music.

I’m assuming you’re giving Stevie’s solo career and ego a pass? (As usual)
Old 01-26-2023, 09:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Still trying to wrap my head around that stretch in logic. I wasn’t aware you had to completely approve of someone to like their music. I would think someone who has certainly been critical of Stevie yet is still a fan would get the concept. I guess people don’t apply their own rules to themselves.

The 1975 album is my favorite. It’s an incredible band effort that was well produced without having excessive extraneous production (car horn notwithstanding). The songs, the voices, and the musicianship spoke for themselves. There are more setlist staples on that album than Tusk, Mirage, or Tango and they did it in just three months.

I’m not saying Lindsey’s Brian Wilson boner didn’t lead to some incredible music, but the excesses and musical fractures it led to was ultimately the band’s undoing as a working entity. For all the “Tusk is a masterpiece” comments, I have no doubt it would chap Lindsey’s ass if he knew people preferred the full band versions of his Tusk songs on the tour rehearsal videos.
It would probably chap Stevie’s ass to know most people think her SYW demos sound like hot garbage reheated on a radiator.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I’m laughing about just the thought of the band left to finish Mirage and Tango on their own without Lindsey. I don’t think anyone in the band if you asked them today, would pin it all on Lindsey. There’s a reason BTM and Time sound like tanning salon music.
The flip side, Lindsey gave a lot of filler to. I mean, did “Empire State” or “Family Man” do anything for their respective albums? Did they add anything to the Fleetwood Mac legacy or did they just take up album space?

Quote:
I’m assuming you’re giving Stevie’s solo career and ego a pass? (As usual)
I’m not a Stevie fan, so there’s that. That being said, I thought she made incredible music with Jimmy. Bella Donna and The Wild Heart hold up well.

I also thought Christine’s 1984 album was great. And, since we’re going there, I really liked John’s album and The Visitor is easily the boldest creative statement any of them made.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2023, 09:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The flip side, Lindsey gave a lot of filler to. I mean, did “Empire State” or “Family Man” do anything for their respective albums? Did they add anything to the Fleetwood Mac legacy or did they just take up album space?

I’m not a Stevie fan, so there’s that. That being said, I thought she made incredible music with Jimmy. Bella Donna and The Wild Heart hold up well.

I also thought Christine’s 1984 album was great. And, since we’re going there, I really liked John’s album and The Visitor is easily the boldest creative statement any of them made.
So wait...not only is the fracturing of Fleetwood Mac entirely on Lindsey's shoulders, but he's also on the hook to maintain the gold standard of Fleetwood Mac material on the albums?

Regarding Family Man and Empire State....I only need to say one thing. When I See You Again. Anyone with an opinion could say the same thing about Wish You Were Here. That's such a bunk argument to make.

At least the guy could show up for more than 6 weeks. Yeah, he filled out that album while Stevie dried out in rehab.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-26-2023 at 09:55 AM..
Old 01-26-2023, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Not a Stevie fan? You defend her in almost every possible context that she's discussed.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I’m not sold that she had others she could work with by the time Say You Will came around. TISL was a hodge podge of producers, Sheryl Crow being perhaps the most consistent at the end of the day along with John Shanks. The Dallas sessions were entirely scrapped. Seven years passed until she started working with Dave Stewart. It’s also interesting to note that she’s never worked with any of those folks on a large album project since. Dave was minimally involved with 24k Gold? She’s been faithful to Chris Lorde Alge for mixing.

One could argue that’s perhaps the biggest thing holding her back. She’s always had plenty of business people telling her why NOT to record albums and why she should do the greatest hits tours, but she hasn’t surrounded herself with a creative group of people in quite a long time.
My point being that she had other people who could get what she was going for and that Lindsey couldn’t adapt. I’m not disputing that the creative well dried up for her. I’d be one of the people advising her to just do the hits because her new songs sound so samey. Why waste money?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2023, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok
Quote:

It's not like you say in your first paragraph at all. I've brought up Lindsey's beating allegations and his playing to tracks and lip synching.
From what I've read from you, it seemed liked you felt Mick's biggest mistake was hiring Lindsey for FM. And that you thought Rick Vito blows Lindsey out if the water on guitar and that he and Billy should have been the guy singers and guitarist in the band.

I talk abiut Stevie's great songs all the time. I even like Shiw Them the Way at first but now after 2 years, it fall flat to me lyrically, but the music is good.

ETA: you do agree with me that Stevie is the reason the 2018 FM didn't record new songs, right?
Old 01-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not a Stevie fan? You defend her in almost every possible context that she's discussed.
And yet I’ve only seen her solo once, rarely listen to anything she recorded after 1983, am not a fan of her lead voice (harmonies are great), and I don’t dig the whole witchy pixie dust thing.

I’ve seen Lindsey outside of Fleetwood Mac four times.

My loyalties are with Mick, John, and Christine.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My point being that she had other people who could get what she was going for and that Lindsey couldn’t adapt. I’m not disputing that the creative well dried up for her. I’d be one of the people advising her to just do the hits because her new songs sound so samey. Why waste money?
Eh...Stevie only wants to work with people who will not challenge her on anything creatively. Dave Stewart figured out how to navigate her as best he could.

I just find it interesting that even the people she has worked with, it's been in a rather limited capacity and never continued. She was even reluctant to take advice from Jimmy during the Bella Donna sessions. He sort of departed during RAL and never returned. Rupert from OSOTM, same thing. Sheryl Crow & TISL, never worked together since.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-26-2023 at 10:24 AM..
Old 01-26-2023, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
From what I've read from you, it seemed liked you felt Mick's biggest mistake was hiring Lindsey for FM. And that you thought Rick Vito blows Lindsey out if the water on guitar and that he and Billy should have been the guy singers and guitarist in the band.
Rick Vito as a lead guitarist does blow Lindsey out of the water. He was the most complete guitarist the band ever had. And, those were the right guys going into a tour in less than 55 days. (That said, even though I’d give the edge to Rick as a singer and guitarist, Todd Sharp might have been the better choice in terms of chemistry. Time would certainly have been a different album.)

However, I’ve also said they weren’t the creative visionaries the band needed. They weren’t going to be the guys to push the envelope.

I never said that hiring Lindsey was a mistake. I have a lot of issues with Lindsey that are about his attitude and sense of entitlement that’s at times as comical as Stevie’s divadom. (“I don’t listen to stuff like Bryan Adams, I seek out things like Kodo.”)

Quote:
ETA: you do agree with me that Stevie is the reason the 2018 FM didn't record new songs, right?
Yes. Stevie’s songwriting dried up years ago. There’s no incentive for her to make music that will compare unfavorably to her legendary earlier works. She has a solid fanbase that’s content with “Rhiannon” and “Gold Dust Woman,” so why do something that could jeopardize it. ESPECIALLY by doing an album with Lindsey and Christine OR Christine, Neil, and Mike? Does Stevie possibly have anything that could have hung with “Sleeping Around the Corner,” “Red Sun,” “Wreckless Abandon” or “Playing with Fire?” Hell no, she doesn’t.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-26-2023, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
When the Mac was on tour in 2018 and Lindsey was in the hospital, I remember this board lit up like a Christmas tree bashing them for not saying something or doing something on stage night after night. I was a silent minority that thought that was a good thing. They literally stabbed him in the back and threw him under the tour bus for ego and big money. I would have been furious if they dared to care about him now. I never said anything on the board until Lindsey's wife came out and said the same thing I said. With her cover, I came out and said it.
She has boxed herself in and is now pressed to put in a break in her show and do an even bigger memorial than Prince or Tom. If she does not do it, she will be vilified which sort of defeats the purpose, no?
One, I think there’s a difference between doing a tribute to someone who died and someone who had surgery.

Two, in the case with Lindsey’s emergency surgery and subsequent recovery, the band was damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Some people would be outraged if the band expressed condolences, while others would be outraged if they didn’t. No-win situation there. I suspect Lindsey appreciated any well wishes, no mater who they were from.

Third, and this isn’t directed solely to you by any means, Macfan4life, but to others who are saying Stevie shouldn’t do a tribute to Christine- Stevie can do whatever she likes. Chances are, the people here saying she shouldn’t do a tribute won’t be at the concerts anyway, right?

I would be thrilled if Lindsey paid tribute to Christine in his next tour.