Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 8 years ago...

It's been almost eight years since In the Meantime was released stateside and I still can't get over what a fine group of songs it is. I also can't get over how little an impact it made, since all of the songs sound very much like her hits with the Mac at the band's commercial peak.

I've been listening to it in my car lately and thinking, "Damn, her voice sounds fantastic!" Calumny and Northern Star have been getting the most plays on my car stereo, but today her vocal on Bad Journey floored me--for like the 1000th time.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Calumny is one of my favorites. In general I like ITM far more than her 1984 solo album.

how little an impact it made? Nowadays everything is marketing. So if it's not well advertised, it will not impact, even if it's a masterpiece.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It's been almost eight years since In the Meantime was released stateside and I still can't get over what a fine group of songs it is. I also can't get over how little an impact it made, since all of the songs sound very much like her hits with the Mac at the band's commercial peak.
You really can't blame anyone but Ms. Perfect-McVie-Quintella herself. Minimal press, no touring, one TV appearance (on an American cable channel hardly anyone gets), no videos, indie record label all add up to: commercial flop. How can one expect a seed to grow without soil and water? But at the end of the day, although the album was solid overall, there was nothing particularly compelling or timely about it. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it was a half-assed effort, but given her penchant for boasting that the album was unintentional and recorded leisurely at home with her nephew, it accordingly has a kind of easy complacency about it. Perhaps she needed the creative spark of an outside influence or two (like Lindsey or even Russ Tittleman) to kick it up a notch or two. This was not an album borne of necessity, and sadly it kinda shows.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think this album was born of necessity - artistic necessity. Of course she didn't need money from this album, but she had a creative urge that made her make it.

I love this album, simply because it does have that recorded-in-the-living-room feel. I like it better than the 1984 solo album, with all its glitter and famous guest stars. (I like that album too, but it's so much more commercial than In the Meantime.)

"Calumny" is one of my favorite Christine vocals. I'd really like to hear more music from her nephew, who wrote that song.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM

I think the album is beautiful and wonderful to listen to. She really didn't want to do anything with it however. No concerts, virtually no promotion, and not even the Q and A that was promised. She has always been the lady behind the keyboards and it's clear to me why she and Stevie were so great together. They were very comfortable and respected each other's roles. I think by 2004, Christine had no interest in doing any of the "music business" of marketing. Hence, it's her fault if it had no impact.

In my opinion her voice is so much more pleasant than any of the vocals on SYW. Even tho I like Stevie's new album, her voice really gets on my nerves after just one listen. It sounds so nasal my friends won't even let me play it. . I know (bad friends).

Christine sounds sultry on Bad Journey, Anything Is Possible. Smooth on You Are and Sublime on Calumny. Northern Star has grown on me. And surprisingly I love the acoustic guitar all over this album. I think the keys are wicked in places.

I would have liked to have seen a FMac guest. And Come Out To Play vs. Easy Come. And I have a problem with the mixing at times (amazing bass hidden in the background). But overall, I love this album.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jesus! Eight years ago and we're STILL talking about it.

I prefer it to the 1984 album

Gail
Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Jesus! Eight years ago and we're STILL talking about it.

I prefer it to the 1984 album

Gail
Give us a new album Gail!!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
But at the end of the day, although the album was solid overall, there was nothing particularly compelling or timely about it....Perhaps she needed the creative spark of an outside influence or two (like Lindsey or even Russ Tittleman) to kick it up a notch or two. This was not an album borne of necessity, and sadly it kinda shows.
Couldn't disagree with you more.

Like a few others here, I also prefer it to her solo 1984 album.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Supporting Ledgie

^I do prefer the 1984 record, it's just a lends to repeated listenings a bit more for me. I am shocked its been that long since her last record... time just gets away from us!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
^I do prefer the 1984 record, it's just a lends to repeated listenings a bit more for me. I am shocked its been that long since her last record... time just gets away from us!
Do you have anymore "demon" mixes of In The Meantime? I love your Friend vers.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Give us a new album Gail!!
Next time I'm round at Christine's for a cup of tea and a chocolate HobNob I'll casually drop it into the conversation

Gail
Old 05-10-2012, 04:35 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Do you have anymore "demon" mixes of In The Meantime? I love your Friend vers.
haha, No sadly... never worked on any of the other tunes. In fact, I no longer have the CD... I think I only have 3-4 of the tracks in iTunes now.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
In fact, I no longer have the CD... I think I only have 3-4 of the tracks in iTunes now.
Blasphemy!
Old 05-12-2012, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Blasphemy!
Calumny!

Gail
Old 05-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
Calumny!

Gail
Blasphemy, oh blasphemy....oh sweet, blasphemy!