Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Ledgie

Default Lindsey's Mirage Songs

Hello, hello. This is actually my first ever post in The Ledge, so you are witnessing great history right now.

Any who, I was curious as to what you guys thoughts were on Lindsey's Mirage songs. I've read on many reviews that these songs are considered some of his weakest, so I'm curious on what you think. Do you think they're weak, and what is your favorite and least favorite of the bunch?
Old 10-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack View Post
Hello, hello. This is actually my first ever post in The Ledge, so you are witnessing great history right now.

Any who, I was curious as to what you guys thoughts were on Lindsey's Mirage songs. I've read on many reviews that these songs are considered some of his weakest, so I'm curious on what you think. Do you think they're weak, and what is your favorite and least favorite of the bunch?
yay, we have a new board member and your first post is in Lindsey forum!!
welcome!

about your question - are you asking about his original Mirage songs, or these alternate versions that just came out?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-01-2016, 10:50 AM
Ledgie

Thank you, thank you!

I meant the original songs on the album. But, if you feel like commenting on the demos and alternate versions that would be cool.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Jack is a great name!

I love Eyes of the World and Book of Love, like Can't Go Back, tolerate Empire State, and hate Oh Diane. That song always makes me think Lindsey is trying to sound like Christine!

As for being his weakest songs, yeah, they might be, compared to Tusk, Rumours, and the white album. I might say the same thing about Christine, when compared to Tango and Behind the Mask. But even a weak Lindsey or Christine song is music to my ears.

How about you, Jack?
Old 10-01-2016, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they are just alright. He was kind of forced to play the kind of more mainstream stuff for his album to my understanding. They were trying to emulate Rumors and he's more into trying new things it seems like. Also, welcome to the Ledge and glad to have you in the Lindsey section haha.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Ledgie

Thank you for the compliment on my name. I thought it sounded pretty good myself.

As for my thoughts, weeelllll.

Can't Go Back and Eyes Of The World-To me these are the best of the bunch. I think the lyrics and instrumentation are quite good.

Book Of Love-I don't know about this one. I think it's sort of funny how hammy Lindsey's voice sounds on this one. But, it's probably my least favorite off of Mirage.

Empire State-I used to find this one O.K., O.K. I say! But I love the demo of it, mainly because it sounds like how it would have been if it were on Law and Order.

Oh Diane-O.K., hear me out. I love this song. Don't shoot! I just love how cheesy and cornball it sounds, especially with the simplistic lyrics and the "woah-oh Diane"s. I just think it's a fun song, that doesn't over stay it's welcome. It makes for a good song for drunk karaoke though I'll tell you that.

I probably just lost my Ledge membership with admitting my love of Oh Diane.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Welcome to the ledge.
When I first joined this forum, I was almost afraid to admit I liked Mirage and that it was probably my first or second favorite Mac album. There was even a poll about album covers and Mirage was not even an option to vote for it. I am thrilled about how much love Mirage is getting and the re-release.
I don't know why but some on this board love to beat up on Lindsey's Mirage songs. I don't think any of them seem out of place IMHO.
Of course Lindsey was under pressure to be more pop which probably drove him crazy. But his Empire State and Eyes of the World could have easily appeared on Tusk. The production quality is just much better and other band members are playing on the songs. Empire state would have been recorded in his bathroom with Kleenex boxes or something. Book of Love, Cant go back, and Oh Diane are pure pop greatness but have some creative Lindsey arrangements. One part that gets over looked is Lindsey did some fantastic writing on his songs. He is more of a guitar player and producer than prolific song writer. His writing is strong and good. The songs have so much more depth than Go Insane or Big Love, or Caroline, etc.
These Lindsey songs were the last before he swallowed the 80's programmed music hook line and sinker.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Ledgie

Thank you.

Yeah, I would be lying if I said Mirage hasn't grown on me over the past few months. I would agree it was probably pretty hard for Lindsey to be mainstream on this album. I think the album sort of has a nice charm to it, you know with the retro production and all.

What's weird is I actually really love Go Insane and Tango In The Night. But, hey everyone has a different opinion. I'm not saying yours is right buuuttt...
Old 10-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Book Of Love-I don't know about this one. I think it's sort of funny how hammy Lindsey's voice sounds on this one. But, it's probably my least favorite off of Mirage.

Oh Diane-O.K., hear me out. I love this song. Don't shoot! I just love how cheesy and cornball it sounds, especially with the simplistic lyrics and the "woah-oh Diane"s. I just think it's a fun song, that doesn't over stay it's welcome. It makes for a good song for drunk karaoke though I'll tell you that.

I probably just lost my Ledge membership with admitting my love of Oh Diane.
Lol not quite, I think a lot of people like Oh Diane!

You mentioned the instrumentation of Can't Go Back, and I agree, the outtake is incredible and makes me appreciate the song more.

I think Book of Love tends to be the forgotten LB song... it's hardly ever mentioned, so I think few people hate it and few people love it. I love it and can totally relate to the lyrics. Who hasn't been in unrequited love, you know? It might verge on whiny, but that doesn't bother me. I love the early version, as well.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Ledgie

I know right!?! I thought Suma's Walk was really beautiful, and yeah I think the lyrics on Book of Love are really relatable. Although, i think the earlier version of it is a lot better than the album version. You have to love that added lap harp in the intro.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:38 PM
Ledgie

That is quite comforting to know I'm not the only one who loves Oh Diane though.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That is quite comforting to know I'm not the only one who loves Oh Diane though.
haha i think there are lots of UK-based peeps who love Oh Diane.

as far as my opinions - i don't care much for Mirage as an album, although i love and adore Hold Me and Eyes of the World.

so Eyes, i've never heard a bad version, and i think it's a great little rocking song. there are several demo versions of the Eyes jam floating around and i adore those.

Can't Go Back is like a Lindsey's throwback Elvis imitation, and i think it's fun.

i don't care for his other Mirage songs. but i disagree that Oh Diane sounds like a Christine song. it's a clear throwback to rockabilly era, and i think it was his tongue-in-cheek response to being forced back in the formula: "you want formula? i'll give you as formula as one can get!"

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-02-2016, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Book of Love and Cant Go Back have great melodies.
Oh Diane is a 50's sounding tribute. I love it because there are few Lindsey songs that demonstrate his influences like Oh Diane.
Lindsey contributes the most songs and there is so much variety.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
haha i think there are lots of UK-based peeps who love Oh Diane.

as far as my opinions - i don't care much for Mirage as an album, although i love and adore Hold Me and Eyes of the World.

so Eyes, i've never heard a bad version, and i think it's a great little rocking song. there are several demo versions of the Eyes jam floating around and i adore those.

Can't Go Back is like a Lindsey's throwback Elvis imitation, and i think it's fun.

i don't care for his other Mirage songs. but i disagree that Oh Diane sounds like a Christine song. it's a clear throwback to rockabilly era, and i think it was his tongue-in-cheek response to being forced back in the formula: "you want formula? i'll give you as formula as one can get!"
Agreed... sounds a little rockabilly.. and I believe it was sort of a "up yours" tune..
Old 10-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
No, I didn't mean Lindsey was trying to write like Christine- I meant it seemed like he was trying to sing or sound like Christine. Really, I understand that wasn't his intention, to sound like her, but singing in that range or doing whatever he did to his voice on that song really put me off.