Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2002, 09:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

Post Lindsey "Best Of" I'm Compiling...

When I saw "The Dance" in Atlanta in 1997, I took my best friend who isn't a really big FM fan. He did, however, agree with me that Lindsey stole the show that night. So, I'm finally going to take a bunch of Lindsey songs and give them to him to listen to. Here's what I have so far: (in no particular order)

1) Big Love (Dance Version)
2) Go Insane (Dance Version)
3) I'm So Afraid (Live '80 Version)
4) Tango In The Night
5) Trouble
6) Loving Cup
7) Play in the Rain, Pts. 1 & 2
8) Soul Drifter
9) Countdown
10) This Is The Time
11) Family Man
12) Never Going Back Again
13) Frozen Love
14) Stephanie
15) Murrow
16) Come
17) Shuffle Riff
18) Down On Rodeo
19) Save Me A Place
20) Street Of Dreams
21) Say We'll Meet Again

My question to all of you - how would you sequence these songs? Which would you add? Or delete? It was tough for me to pick these songs...I want to show my buddy how awesome LB is and don't want to leave anything out. What do you think?

Mike B.
Old 05-05-2002, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It looks like you are going with both Lindsey solo & Lindsey Fleetwood Mac songs. I would definitely include Go Your Own Way and Second Hand News from Rumours and maybe, Tusk from the Dance album. I don't know how you can leave off Go Your Own Way. That's Lindsey's signature song. I would take off Loving Cup & Play in the Rain and definitely Family Man, which is probably my least favorite Lindsey song. I do think Say We'll Meet Again is a real nice way to end it, though.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You have to include Eyes of the World thats a must!
Old 05-05-2002, 08:40 AM
Senior Ledgie

Talking Oops...

macfan57 - Oops! I did have GYOW on my list, but forgot to include it when I made this post. No way could I leave that off! As for Family Man...my favorite part is the end...I agree that the lyrics are a bit inane, but that guitar work is awesome. I'll have to consider that...I'm going back and forth on Play In The Rain...I like parts of it, but not others, so I'm torn. It might come off.

BLY - EOTW! Of course! I forgot all about that. I think I'm also going to have to include Second Hand News on this. At the Atlanta show, it brought the house down and my friend loved it...

Thanks for the responses!

Mike B.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Excellent list Mike, what version of Down On Rodeo are you putting on?
The unmastetred version or one of the early demos?

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 05-05-2002, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default The Best of Lindsey Buckingham

Mike, great list!! I agree with everyone who said Play in the Rain should be booted (both parts) it's really for the BIG TIME Lindsey fans, not for the newbies, just for the appreciation part of it. I love Family Man, that guitar work is AMAZING, and the remix is EVEN BETTER!! DW Suite is a great epic kind of song, but don't know if newbies will like it. I personally like Doing What I Can better than This is the Time, but kudos to both!! Great idea to make your pal a CD of The Best of Lindsey Buckingham..which, IMO, is EVERYTHING HE'S EVER DONE, but you know, for CD space reasons, that's an awesome list!
Old 05-05-2002, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: The Best of Lindsey Buckingham

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
....I agree with everyone who said Play in the Rain should be booted (both parts) it's really for the BIG TIME Lindsey fans, not for the newbies, just for the appreciation part of it.
Absolutely, I agree. Even though there's an off-chance that a newbie might like Play In The Rain, there's no way they could fully appreciate it. In order to fully appreciate this emotionally powerful masterpiece (IMO) you really have to have "read the history....studied the book...seen the play...etc etc".......

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
The Best of Lindsey Buckingham..which, IMO, is EVERYTHING HE'S EVER DONE, but you know, for CD space reasons, that's an awesome list!
I also agree on this aswell !!! LOL!.....I don't think you were being sarcastic about this Christy...?...but if you weren't then I definitely agree with you!! His entire discography IS his "Best Of" album!!! And we can put track 11 from the White Album at the top of list right? .....LOL...!!!!

Hope ur pal likes the CD Mike ! (The list is almost perfect..! I'd have Doing What I Can on it aswell though..! Seeing as you don't have the original version of Big Love !)

Last edited by seteca; 05-05-2002 at 03:20 PM..
Old 05-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Agreed!

OF COURSE SETECA!! ISA is a MUST HAVE, live, album version, doesn't matter, EVERY burnt CD MUST HAVE a version of ISA on it, period! LOL It's only the GREATEST SONG EVER WRITTEN!!

I wasn't being sarcastic at all, that is the GOD'S HONEST TRUTH, everything he has EVER done, IMO, is his best. I love it all, I listen to it all, and there is not a song he has written that I HATE...not ONE. I just like some BETTER than others.
Old 05-05-2002, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Keep Family Man on there... I don't care what ANYBODY SAYS! That song kicks major boo-tay!

Matt
Old 05-05-2002, 04:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi! Keep Family Man if you must...the dumb repetitive chorus
is just awfull...the Guitar Grrrreat!{ Hope I said that right!}
Trouble/Tusk /Tango/ GYOW/ISA are good solid Lindsey Work!
That's how I forced my best friend into liking Lindsey's Music!

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 05-06-2002, 08:39 AM

What about Don't Look Down? Eyes of the World is a personal favorite. And, dude!!!!!!, you gotta have Go Your Own Way. Sure, everybody's heard it, but it belongs in any Lindsey compilation.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I like the list, just a tweak here & there, and since you asked how to sequence it, here's my suggestion (my only substitution is "Don't Look Down" for "This Is The Time"...I've added GYOW & Tusk)

1) Big Love (Dance Version)
2) Go Insane (Dance Version)
3) Don't Look Down (w/Intro)
4) Countdown
5) Trouble
6) Tango In The Night
7) Loving Cup
8) Play in the Rain, Pts. 1 & 2
9) Frozen Love
10) Never Going Back Again
11) Save Me A Place
12) Street Of Dreams
13) Family Man
14) Murrow
15) Come
16) Shuffle Riff
17) I'm So Afraid (Live '80 Version)
18) Tusk
19) Down On Rodeo
20) Soul Drifter
21) Go Your Own Way
22) Stephanie
23) Say We'll Meet Again

This was tough due to the fact that you have all FOUR songs with the "I'm So Afraid" type solo (ISA, TITN, Frozen Love & Murrow)...and then "Murrow" & "Play In The Rain" have similar feel in parts...tried to keep them from being too close to each other.

If you were to include "Eyes Of The World", I'd insert it between "Tusk" & "Down On Rodeo".

I, somewhat agree that "Play In The Rain" (and "Come", as well) wouldn't really be suited for a "Buckingham 101" course. Those are kind of "Advanced Lindsey-itis" tunes.

Last edited by chiliD; 05-06-2002 at 10:34 AM..
Old 05-06-2002, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Best of . . .

Eyes of the World and Don't Look Down - two of the very best, IMO.

Barbara
Old 05-06-2002, 05:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Post Great Answers!

This is just the kind of thoughts I was looking for...thanks everyone! I think I'm in agreement with everyone to take off Play In The Rain. That is a bit advanced.

nodmod - I'm using the later version of Down On Rodeo, that supposedly was part of the final GOS tracks. (Or close to final.) I like that one best.

I think I am keeping Family Man on there...it just seems so much a part of the Tango era that I don't want to leave it off.

As for Tusk - don't everybody jump on me - but I don't really care for the studio version. Never have. When it is performed live on the other hand, it really kicks ass. Maybe I'll put one of those on instead.

Chili - Thanks for the sequencing! I know that is one my favorite things about your posts...you've got a great "ear" for that kind of thing. And I didn't think about how similar sounding some of those were...but your sequencing works.

Carnevaca/Barbara - Yep, definitely need EOTW and DLD on there.

I guess I need to figure out the times on all of these tracks. I may be looking at a double CD here if I'm not careful...

Thanks everyone!

Mike B.
Old 05-07-2002, 01:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Mike... if you're looking for a really terrific live version of "Tusk," might I suggest the Irvine, CA. show from October 1997?

The performance itself is killer, and Lindsey lets out this great, fiendish little laugh during the second verse, that totally makes it a "must-have."

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 05-07-2002 at 01:52 AM..