The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

After hearing LBs classy comments, I wonder if he gave Christine his blessing to stay, as to not rock the boat too much, keeping open a likelihood of reunion. If she bolted too, it really might’ve been the end for good.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.spin.com/featured/fleetw...in-a-timeline/

Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham Goes His Own Way (Again): A Timeline
Written By Stephen Thomas Erlewine April 10 2018, 5:46 PM ET

Just three years ago, when Fleetwood Mac was awash in good vibes after the return of Christine McVie, MOJO Magazine asked Mick Fleetwood if it was the classic lineup or nothing. The drummer, who has anchored the British band with bassist John McVie since 1967, responded: “This is it, to me. Emotionally, if you think of the enormity of what has happened, the surprise of what has happened, the doors that have opened to be walked through…if you were writing a book, you’d go, ‘Isn’t it a shame I can’t end it like this?’ We’ve had the chance to end it like that and I wouldn’t dream of it any other way.”

Dreams never last. It was only a matter of time before Fleetwood’s rosy summary of the future of rock’s most mercurial band shattered, and April 9, 2018 brought the news. Lindsey Buckingham–the guitarist/singer/producer/songwriter who sat at the foundation of Fleetwood Mac since 1975–would not joining the band on its farewell tour later this year. Shortly after the story broke in Variety, it was reported by Rolling Stone that Buckingham was fired over disagreements concerning this tour.

Details remain sketchy but as its surprise reveal fades, Buckingham’s departure seems like the inevitable end to his time in Fleetwood Mac. After all, the group had eight guitarists before he joined and, with this year’s addition of Crowded House’s Neil Finn and Mike Campbell of Tom Petty’s Heartbreakers, there have been six other members that have played with the group once Lindsey left them high and dry. Buckingham may have played a pivotal part of Fleetwood Mac’s story but it was only a part–one that was fraught with so much creative tension, it’s a wonder either of his tenures lasted as long as they did. Here we’ve created a brief history of Buckingham’s time with the band.

1973: As Fleetwood Mac release Mystery To Me, their fifth album to feature Christine McVie and guitarist Bob Welch, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks debut with Buckingham Nicks, a sweet, hazy collection of folky Southern Californian soft-rock produced by Ken Olsen. Buckingham Nicks sinks without a trace, leaving the duo nearly destitute and looking for a break.

1974: Fleetwood Mac begins the year battling a former manager who launched a competing band with by the same name, alongside members of a group called Legs, and ends it with Bob Welch quitting the band on the eve of recording an album. Desperate to replace his guitarist, Mick Fleetwood remembers Ken Olsen playing him “Frozen Love,” a song from Buckingham Nicks, earlier that year, so he offers Buckingham the gig without an audition. Lindsey insists that his partner Stevie join as well–a magnanimous gesture, to be sure, but also the first sign he’ll put his own creative interests first.

1975: Despite the reservations of John McVie–“we’re a blues band, this is really far away from the blues,” Olsen recounted–Fleetwood Mac decided to follow the direction of Buckingham and Nicks and refashion themselves on their eponymous 1975 album.

1976: As Fleetwood Mac climbs the charts in the early months of 1976, Rolling Stone reveals in an April 22, 1976 news item that Buckingham and Nicks are the second couple in Fleetwood Mac to be hitting “choppy waters.” This marks the first airing of the interpersonal strife within the band and it’s a double reveal, divulging the divorce of the McVies as well. With all their dirty laundry going public, the group embarks on the stress-filled recording of a new album, which they would call Rumours after all the gossip in the press.

1977: Released in February, Rumours elevates the band to superstardom. The album stays at the top of the Billboard charts for 33 weeks, generating the Top 10 hits “Go Your Own Way,” “Dreams,” “Don’t Stop,” and “You Make Loving Fun.”

1978: Riding high on Rumours, Buckingham and Nicks experience a detente in their personal relationship as they co-produce Walter Egan’s Fundamental Roll, which features the yacht rock standard “Magnet and Steel.” (Nicks would also sing harmonies on “Gold,” a hit Buckingham produced for John Stewart in 1979).

1979: Heading into the studio to record the sequel to Rumours, Lindsey Buckingham was insisting that the Mac make an album that turned their 1977 blockbuster on its head. Christine McVie would tell Creem, “I think if we hadn’t done that album, then Lindsey might’ve left,” but that doesn’t mean the sessions were easy. Nicks recounted in the liner notes to the 2015 reissue of Tusk–the resulting double-LP released at the end of 1979–that Buckingham was so adamant to do something the opposite of previous record “that I think he scared us.”

1980: Despite two Top 10 hits in “Tusk” and “Sara,” Tusk didn’t replicate the success of Rumours, and tensions began to bubble over onto the stage. During the final gig for the supporting tour for Tusk, Buckingham announced “This is our last concert….for a long time,” sparking chatter that the band was about to split.

1981: Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks and Mick Fleetwood all release solo albums, with Lindsey’s restless Law And Order and its accompanying Top 10 hit “Trouble” overshadowed by Stevie’s Bella Donna, which produced three hits in “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around,” “Leather and Lace” and “Edge of Seventeen.”

1982: Fleetwood Mac decides to reunite for a new album but, according to Buckingham, they tell the guitarist “we’re not going do that process anymore”–so he swallows his pride and the group makes the cozy, lovely Mirage.

1983: While Mirage floats down the charts, Lindsey Buckingham contributes the nervy “I Want You Back” to I’m Not Me, an album by Mick Fleetwood’s Zoo. (A move that suggests everything is operating smoothly behind the scenes.) Meanwhile, Nicks’s solo career flourishes with The Wild Heart and its hit “Stand Back”.

1984-1986: Upon the 1984 release of his solo set Go Insane, Lindsey Buckingham told Rolling Stone “I’m trying to break down preconceptions of what pop music is” and, like most pioneers, he didn’t see much commercial success for his endeavors. This was the beginning of a rough patch for the Fleetwood Mac universe. Ten years on from their pop reinvention, the group were scattered and working on solo projects. Buckingham in particular was dedicated to his studio work, but he slowly came back aboard. After aborted sessions with Nile Rogers, Buckingham and his co-producer Richard Dashut agreed to helm the new record, which was largely made while Nicks was on a solo tour.

1987: Tango In The Night is released in April of 1987 but, by August, the band splinters over the fact that Buckingham didn’t want to tour the record. He split and is replaced by Billy Burnett—who had previously played with Zoo–and Rick Vito. The new set of performers immediately head out on tour

1990: Fleetwood Mac take a stab at recording a new album with Burnett and Vito but Behind the Mask underperforms, going Gold in the US on sheer name recognition. Meanwhile, Buckingham toils away on his third solo album.

1991-1995: In 1992, Buckingham finally releases Out of the Cradle, but it went no further than a disappointing 128 on Billboard’s charts. His former bandmates aren’t faring much better. Nicks leaves Fleetwood Mac in 1993, and the group soldiers through with Bekka Bramlett and Dave Mason. This lineup produces Time, a 1995 set that is their first album since 1968 to not chart in the US, and Mick Fleetwood announces the group was breaking up.

1996-1998:
The classic ’70s lineup of Fleetwood Mac begins to mend bridges in 1996, with Fleetwood coming in to drum on a Buckingham solo project that would quickly feature John McVie. Elsewhere, Nicks reaches out to Buckingham to produce and sing on her contribution to the Twister soundtrack. By 1997, the Buckingham project morphs into new studio sessions that supplement the live reunion album The Dance, which kicks off a tour that stretches into 1998. Upon its conclusion, Christine McVie leaves the group.

1999-2008: Right after Christine’s departure, Fleetwood Mac stays quiet. They resurface in 2003 with Say You Will, an album consisting entirely of originals written separately by Nicks and Buckingham. Christine McVie does appear on the album, but these are tracks that were originally planned for a Lindsey solo album from the ’90s. Following its release, the band pursue solo projects, with Buckingham swiftly releasing Under The Skin in 2006 and Gift Of Screws in 2008.

2009-2013: Without Christine, the remaining core four reunite for a tour called Unleashed in 2009, but once again both Nicks and Buckingham choose to concentrate on solo albums, not new Fleetwood Mac recordings. This makes the 2013 appearance a surprise: the four-track
Extended Play–the first Mac music in a decade–snuck out without fanfare (or much of a title) but it as the first indication the group is attempting to do something more than play the old tunes. (This wouldn’t last long.)

2014-2015: Christine McVie rejoins the band for a reunion tour dubbed On With The Show. There are rumblings that new recordings would accompany the tour, but Nicks never signs on for a new album, so the band spends two years touring the world.

2016-2017: With Stevie Nicks reluctant to record a new album, Buckingham and Christine McVie decide to finish their own material–including a song called “On With The Show,” which was intended to be the anthem for the mid-2010s tour–much of which is recorded with the rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood and John McVie. The resulting Buckingham McVie appears in June 2017, followed by a tour from the duo. Everything seems fine within the Fleetwood Mac camp as they approach a farewell tour.

Which brings us to now: The plans for the 2018 tour swiftly collapsed after the group accepted the award for MusicCares Person of the Year in January. Not long afterward, something went wrong within the group. The first indication of something possibly being wrong is when Billy Burnette tweeted that “Lindsey Buckingham is out but I’m not in” on April 4–he swiftly deleted the Tweet, but the story was out in the world. Not a week later, Buckingham’s departure was announced simultaneously with the hire of Crowded House’s Neil Finn and Mike Campbell of the Heartbreakers–two heavy-hitters that are guaranteed to help ease the pain of Lindsey’s dismissal.
Whether the Finn and Campbell-infused edition of Fleetwood Mac flourishes or fails, one thing can be certain: it’s almost truer to the band for them to open up a messy new chapter. A tidy ending isn’t one suited for a story as operatic as Fleetwood Mac.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-12-2018, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...reaction-video

Lindsey Buckingham Breaks Silence on Leaving Fleetwood Mac: It Was Not 'My Doing or My Choice'
5/12/2018 by Ashley Iasimone
FACEBOOK
TWITTER
EMAIL ME

Brill/ullstein bild via Getty Images
Lindsey Buckingham on stage with Fleetwood Mac.

Just over a month after Fleetwood Mac announced Lindsey Buckingham would not be joining the group on its upcoming tour, the guitarist and singer has addressed parting ways with his bandmates.

"I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice,” Buckingham, said during a performance in Los Feliz, Calif., Friday night (May 11). “I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective.”

“It harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build," he said of the group's decision, "and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one’s higher truth and one’s higher destiny.”

He refrained from commenting when one audience member yelled "**** Stevie Nicks."

Fleetwood Mac
READ MORE
5 Lingering Questions From Fleetwood Mac's Split With Lindsey Buckingham
Buckingham was performing at a campaign fundraiser for Mike Levin, a California Democratic congressional candidate.

On April 9, Fleetwood Mac issued a statement that simply said, "Lindsey Buckingham will not be performing with the band on this tour. The band wishes Lindsey all the best." it was also revealed that he would be replaced by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Mike Campbell and Crowded House's Neil Finn on tour.

The remaining members of the band -- Stevie Nicks, Christine McVie, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood -- later said the split happened because of conflicts with tour rehearsal schedules, but were reluctant to use the word "fired." “Not to hedge around, but we arrived at the impasse of hitting a brick wall," Fleetwood told Rolling Stone. "This was not a happy situation for us in terms of the logistics of a functioning band. To that purpose, we made a decision that we could not go on with him. Majority rules in term of what we need to do as a band and go forward.”

Hear Buckingham's comments in the video below.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-12-2018, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really don’t want to spend another $ on them without Lindsey.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

NEWS \
Lindsey Buckingham Discusses His Departure From Fleetwood Mac
Rob Arcand // May 12, 2018

lindsey-buckingham-discusses-fleetwood-mac-departure
CREDIT: Steve Granitz/Getty Images

Last month, Fleetwood Mac announced an upcoming US tour, and with it that they’d finally be parting ways with longtime guitarist and songwriter Lindsey Buckingham. In conversation with Rolling Stone, the band said that the decision was in response to Buckingham’s objections to the band’s upcoming tour schedule, and that his firing came down to a sort of “majority rules” decision. At the time, Buckingham declined to comment.

But in a performance last night at a campaign fundraiser for California Democratic congressional candidate Mike Levin, Buckingham finally broke his silence on his recent departure from the band. “This was not something that was really my doing or my choice,” he said on stage between songs. “I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective.”

Buckingham also added that his firing has negatively affected the band’s career-spanning legacy together. “It harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one’s higher truth and one’s high destiny,” he said. Watch a clip of his remarks below.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In a polite but pointed way, Lindsey is saying exactly what should be said: the band has tarnished its legacy for the sake of a quick buck.

Some factions within the band lost their perspective indeed.

His phrasing suggests Christine was not culpable, but it's hard to square that with her enthusiastic (though obviously canned) comments about the new lineup on the CBS show.

I really do hope they do a Buckingham/McVie II.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While I don’t think Chris played an active role, I don’t think it’s fair to say she’s 100% LB on this. More likely she was positioned more in the middle, but has LB confident she didn’t play a part in the ouster. I bet he doesn’t even blame John, Johns not going to go against Mick at the end of the day, and he knows that.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
While I don’t think Chris played an active role, I don’t think it’s fair to say she’s 100% LB on this. More likely she was positioned more in the middle, but has LB confident she didn’t play a part in the ouster. I bet he doesn’t even blame John, Johns not going to go against Mick at the end of the day, and he knows that.

How can she be 100% Lindsey? She's still in the band. Obviously she agrees with what happened, at least to the extent that she still wants to be around "the backstabbers"(I use that term loosely). I'm thinking Lindsey at least gives credit to Christine for wanting to keep the creative aspect of the band continuing by writing new songs and wanting to make a new FM record. This perspective is where Stevie differed from the rest of the band, at least in the context of making new music with Lindsey.

Last edited by jwd; 05-12-2018 at 07:31 PM..
Old 05-12-2018, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
How can she be 100% Lindsey? She's still in the band. Obviously she agrees with what happened, at least to the extent that she still wants to be around "the backstabbers"(I use that term loosely).
Why can’t she have loyalties to both Lindsey and the others? She can disagree with the decision but still stay in the band. Does everything have to be black and white?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Why can’t she have loyalties to both Lindsey and the others? She can disagree with the decision but still stay in the band. Does everything have to be black and white?
That's called playing both sides of the fence in my world. If she sees it the way a lot of fans, at least on this forum see it, she would have done something to stop it.....or jumped ship. Otherwise she's agreeing with the bands' decision.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah unless they were bringing back Peter Green himself Fleetwood Mac should have disbanded at the moment that they decided to fire one of the five.To carry on now as is is an unfunny joke.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
.To carry on now as is is an unfunny joke.
In my opinion, it's simply pathetic at their age. It's called retirement sweetie. If this tour wasn't meant to be, then just end the book. Don't start a messy new chapter when your in your 70s!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 05-12-2018, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsnake View Post
In my opinion, it's simply pathetic at their age. It's called retirement sweetie. If this tour wasn't meant to be, then just end the book. Don't start a messy new chapter when your in your 70s!
Right on! How embarrassing. There almost in walkers and they think they are going to start and exciting new band?????
Old 05-12-2018, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
That's called playing both sides of the fence in my world. If she sees it the way a lot of fans, at least on this forum see it, she would have done something to stop it.....or jumped ship. Otherwise she's agreeing with the bands' decision.
I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree. Life isn’t that black and white.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-12-2018, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.vintagevinylnews.com/2018...as-pushed.html

Lindsey Buckingham Says He Was Pushed Out of Fleetwood Mac But Thinks of It As a "Leave"
12:14 AM -News-, Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham
by Paul Cashmere, Noise11

Lindsey Buckingham has spoken about his departure from Fleetwood Mac for the first time calling it “leave” rather than being fired although he also said that he didn’t walk, he was pushed.

Buckingham, a staunch Democrat, was appearing at a fundraiser for California congress candidate Mike Levin on Friday night when he told the audience. “It’s been an interesting time on a lot of levels. For me, personally, probably some of you know that for the last three months I have sadly taken leave of my band of 43 years, Fleetwood Mac. This was not something that was really my doing or my choice.”

Buckingham said that the band has lost its way. “I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective,” he said. “The point is that they’d lost their perspective. What that did was to harm – and this is the only I’m really sad about, the rest of it becomes an opportunity – it harmed the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfil one’s higher truth and one’s higher destiny.”

Lindsey was replaced by two new members, Neil Finn of Split Enz and Crowded House fame and Mike Campbell from Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

In 2015 he was adamant that the current Fleetwood Mac tour would be the final Fleetwood Mac tour but then the rest of the band decided to lap the planet one more time.

Buckingham’s “taken leave” comment suggests that at some time in the future he will be back. However age is not on his side for that. Mick Fleetwood is now 70, John McVie is 72, Christine McVie is 74 and Stevie Nicks is 69.