User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-26-2023, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Just curious... are you on a mission, to pass Distension, as the all time record poster here?
I just retired this year. I've got too much time on my hands these weeks, until my next trip (still deciding my next destiny).
Old 08-26-2023, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I just retired this year. I've got too much time on my hands these weeks, until my next trip (still deciding my next destiny).
Congrats on your retirement!
Old 08-26-2023, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
I would ask Buckingham to redo his first two lines for "Sleeping on the Corner" and fix the glitch in the shaker.

The intros for "Red Sun" and "Lay Down For Free" are too similar (and very compressed), so I would tone down the compression and have Buckingham's guitar and John McVie's bass come in immediately with the drums on "Lay Down For Free" before the vocals come in. Maybe add some castanet flourishes a la "Trouble". Buckingham's saccharine wall of backing vocals on "Game of Pretend" would also be removed to make the chorus more subdued.
Holy cow!!! Yes to all of this and every last word.
Old 08-26-2023, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Keep them coming! I love your posts as of late!! Lots of fun.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Buckingham's saccharine wall of backing vocals on "Game of Pretend" would also be removed to make the chorus more subdued.
Absolutely! I thought so, too. The song would work perfectly with just Christine singing.
Old 08-26-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Absolutely! I thought so, too. The song would work perfectly with just Christine singing.
There's no stopping him.
Old 08-28-2023, 09:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

The bass part on "Family Man" is essentially the same two notes looped over and over again. I'm not even sure if John McVie played on the song, but if he did, it's among his least inspired performances.

"In My World" could have benefited from more variation in the acoustic guitar. That was the very first song introduced from the album and I was disappointed with the lack of variation in that guitar part. The tone was also very thin and very digital, a problem that has existed since Say You Will and possibly even Out of the Cradle (this is very noticeable on songs like "Countdown", particularly the opening).
Old 08-28-2023, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Everybody seems to like Eyes of the World. I can’t stand it.
The bit I don’t like is the repetitive over and over bit on the guitar solo. You know the bit I mean? It makes it sound frickin Scottish (no offence to Scot’s). If that small part changed, I’d probably love the song.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-28-2023, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The bass part on "Family Man" is essentially the same two notes looped over and over again. I'm not even sure if John McVie played on the song, but if he did, it's among his least inspired performances.
That sucker is literally two chords back and forth. (Even “Dreams” modulates more.) But I suppose the bass line could have had a little more movement with leading tones and such. I guess Lindsey was going for that droning effect behind his flamenco acoustic soloing.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-31-2023, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine’s Tusk songs needed to be more poppy. That was her strength, the poppy catchy songs. They needed to pop up her Tusk songs more.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish "Why" would have been re-recorded in the studio for The White Album (1975) with Lindsey and Stevie on background harmony vocals.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
ChristineÂ’s Tusk songs needed to be more poppy. That was her strength, the poppy catchy songs. They needed to pop up her Tusk songs more.
I'm picturing "Never Make Me Cry" as a sparkly, up-tempo disco hit renamed "Always Make Me Smile."
Old 08-31-2023, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I wish "Why" would have been re-recorded in the studio for The White Album (1975) with Lindsey and Stevie on background harmony vocals.
Ooh I like this one.

They could pare back the intro a bit and really extend the chorus at the end like in the live versions. A real showcase for the three-way harmonies. The 1973 album version ends just as it starts getting good.
Old 09-01-2023, 06:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
Gosh no. "Why" mess with perfection. Granted the live versions with Stevie and Lindsey are good with those harmonies. But the song is not about harmonies. The song is way too deep for that. 30 years ago, I loved the Stevie/Lindsey version. But the studio version has such depth and power with Chris being so somber and heartbroken that is missing from those versions with Stevie. Those live versions dont have the strings which gives the song such power. While I would love that other songs by been re-recorded by the Buck/Nicks team, this would be the only one that I say "hands off." I have always said that Come A Little Bit Closer should have been re-recorded with Stevie and Lindsey. Those harmonies would have taken the song to another level.
Adding Stevie and Lindsey vocals on Why would be like adding them on Songbird. While it may sound nice, it sort of ruins the impact of the song. Why is a blues based song. Those types of songs are highlighted by the singer and not fabulous harmonized backing vocals.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-01-2023 at 08:02 AM..
Old 09-01-2023, 06:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Christine’s Tusk songs needed to be more poppy. That was her strength, the poppy catchy songs. They needed to pop up her Tusk songs more.
I could agree but there seems to be a certain "feel" to the album that songs almost are slower, less peppy and more folksy. Granted, Think About Me, The Ledge, and Angel are faster tempo. However does not the album seem to all merge as a certain sameness in beat? I wonder if she picked the songs to fit with those standards. The album's opener Over and Over seems to set the standard for the rest of the album in mood , substance, groove and slower beat.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 09-01-2023 at 06:14 AM..