The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: TUSK: which songs do you like the most?
Christine's songs 7 18.92%
Lindsey's songs 9 24.32%
Stevie's songs 21 56.76%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2023, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's incredible, but even when Lindsey has the biggest number of songs here, Chris definitely had the best ones.
Over & Over, Think About Me, Brown Eyes, Never Make Me Cry and Never Forget. What else!!
Then Lindsey with The Ledge, WATL, Tusk, WMYTYTO...
Well, and then, Sara and Angel...
Old 08-15-2023, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If I HAD to pick….

Best collection…..
Stevie
1 Sara
2 Sister of the moon
3 Beautiful Child
4 Angel
5 Storms

Second best…..
Lindsey
1 Tusk
2 I Know I’m Not Wrong
3 Walk a Thin Line
4 Save Me Place
5 The Ledge
6 That’s All For Everyone
7 What Makes You Think Your The One
8 That’s Enough For Me
9 Not That Funny

Third best….
Christine
1 Think About Me
2 Never Forget
3 Over and Over
4 Brown Eyes
5 Honey Hi
6 Never Make Me Cry
Old 08-16-2023, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Even though I think Christine's songs are generally undertated here, I'm going with Stevie: her strongest songwriting on any album.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Even though Think About Me is absolute perfection, I still had to go with Lindsey for Tusk. I took the double record out of the library in 1981 (I can still remember how it smelled...that musty delicious old record album smell...) and played them to death for a week. the first time i heard all LB's tusk songs, i thought they were just too weird. but they did grow on me. Now i think they are pretty brilliant. :-)

--Lis
Old 08-17-2023, 04:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
Even though Think About Me is absolute perfection, I still had to go with Lindsey for Tusk. I took the double record out of the library in 1981 (I can still remember how it smelled...that musty delicious old record album smell...) and played them to death for a week. the first time i heard all LB's tusk songs, i thought they were just too weird. but they did grow on me. Now i think they are pretty brilliant. :-)

--Lis
very true. They called Tusk "quirky" and it was in 1979. But when you listen today its not quirky at all. The songs hold up. Its more folksy than quirky. What Makes You Think You're the one is brilliant. Its one of my favorites from the album. But back in 1983 it was not speaking to me at all.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I’d choose Stevie in this poll.
Her songs are at the top of her craft.
Angel is my out and out favourite song on Tusk.
Especially Live when it’s played a bit more up tempo.

Sara is magical and I still listen to it now.

Sisters of the Moon is a tour de force and I prefer the album version to anything Live.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I say this every time about Christine’s Tusk songs. They needed more production. They needed to be popped up more, like Say You Love Me, You Make Loving Fun, Hold Me, and Little Lies. Christine’s strength was writing the pop songs. I don’t know it if was Lindsey’s overbearing presence on the production of Tusk, but they did not do Christine’s songs justice on that album.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

It’s Christine for me, because I like all of her Tusk songs but one (Never Make Me Cry). There are several of Lindsey’s here that I don’t care for, and I’m in the minority in that I actively dislike two of Stevie’s Tusk songs that others seem to love: Sara and SOTM.

I’m also in the minority in considering Honey Hi a perfectly produced masterpiece with some of their best three-part harmonies ever.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm going to go with Lindsey on this one. I loved all of his songs except Not That Funny (which I loathe even more live). I also loved all of Stevie's songs on this album -- I think that her songwriting was really vibrant from BN through The Wild Heart, and then much more gimmicky after (though I love individual songs from the rest of her solo and FM output through TISL).

I think not having a real single from this album reflects that Chris' songs, while all solid quality, aren't really remarkable to me. I actually love Honey Hi and Never Forget, but compared to the absolute home runs she had on the rest of the Mac albums (and solo and BuckVie) work she did, it did feel like she was more lost in the shuffle this time.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusha View Post
I'm going to go with Lindsey on this one. I loved all of his songs except Not That Funny (which I loathe even more live). I also loved all of Stevie's songs on this album -- I think that her songwriting was really vibrant from BN through The Wild Heart, and then much more gimmicky after (though I love individual songs from the rest of her solo and FM output through TISL).

I think not having a real single from this album reflects that Chris' songs, while all solid quality, aren't really remarkable to me. I actually love Honey Hi and Never Forget, but compared to the absolute home runs she had on the rest of the Mac albums (and solo and BuckVie) work she did, it did feel like she was more lost in the shuffle this time.
I HATE Not That Funny -LIVE as well.

I think IF they'd been trying to do Rumours II, Christine would've written differently for the album. But at least we got the greatest song of all time - Think About Me!!!
Old 08-18-2023, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=HomerMcvie;

I think IF they'd been trying to do Rumours II, Christine would've written differently for the album. But at least we got the greatest song of all time - Think About Me!!![/QUOTE]

I think Christine’s songs would have been written the same just produced to be more Rumours 2ish.
Old 08-18-2023, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I think IF they'd been trying to do Rumours II, Christine would've written differently for the album. But at least we got the greatest song of all time - Think About Me!!!
I'm one of those very few who don't say WOW when I listen Think about me. I like the song but, and I really don't know why, it is not within my favorites, either from the album, from Christine, or in general from Fleetwood Mac.

It has all the elements to be one of my favorite songs. But it is not. And I really often spend time analyzing why. Didn't find any logical explanation. The only reason I could say is, and it is just a feeling... It is too Christine.

But now that you mention this, it starts to make sense to me. Think about me sounds like the less "Tusk" song of the album. So if at some point I said to myself "why didn't they make a Rumors 2", this confirms that making Tusk was the best.
Old 08-20-2023, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Like the White Album and Mirage, Stevie steals the show on Tusk. A run of 5 great songs on a double album full of short quirky and half-finished sounding songs, hers sound completely developed and produced. Both Christine and Lindsey finish with only 1/2 of their songs being truly great. I love Sisters of the Moon and think it's her best Tusk song, although admittedly, it's an album track not a single, and I do think a slightly edited Angel would've been a better single choice. Sara is a 6+ minute masterpiece and sounded great on the radio back in 1980. Storms and Beautiful Child were both great ballads, I would love to have seen them try Child live back then with a signature growl Rhiannon type ending. As for Christine, Over and Over and Brown Eyes are great songs but Think About Me, was crying out loud trying to believe it should've been the first single?!! WTF were they thinking? Lindsey's crown jewel is What Makes You Think You're the One, a great song and it holds up well today- I love the live version on the remastered live album. Tusk, like others have said is as folky as it is quirky and it was interesting in the remastered version to hear the song in its development stages. Lastly, he does well on I Know I'm Not Wrong, although it would've benefited from a slicker production job. His others are sub par and dangling threads of various song ideas that are harder to get through.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I'm one of those very few who don't say WOW when I listen Think about me. I like the song but, and I really don't know why, it is not within my favorites, either from the album, from Christine, or in general from Fleetwood Mac.

It has all the elements to be one of my favorite songs. But it is not. And I really often spend time analyzing why. Didn't find any logical explanation. The only reason I could say is, and it is just a feeling... It is too Christine.

But now that you mention this, it starts to make sense to me. Think about me sounds like the less "Tusk" song of the album. So if at some point I said to myself "why didn't they make a Rumors 2", this confirms that making Tusk was the best.
While it’s not my favorite Christine song, either, I like it and it’s a very good one. Just not among my top-tier favs.

I think the song is one of the most Tusk-like songs on the record. On Rumours (and Mirage) it would have been given a lush, ear-wormy arrangement. On Tusk, it is presented with a rougher, crunchier edge. The interesting thing is that Sara and Brown Eyes DO get the lush arrangements, but Think About Me is as close as Christine gets to Lindsey’s garage rock/basement tape approach. And that makes it (along with Stevie’s Angel) a key track on the record.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine, though just barely. Everyone was superlative.

I love how inspired Lindsey was, but I hate how he didn’t use the others on his songs that much. I can’t say anything bad about Stevie’s songs.

I naturally gravitate towards Christine, so it might be as simple as that. But “Over and Over,” “Think About Me,” “Brown Eyes,” “Never Make Me Cry,” “Honey Hi,” and “Never Forget” were maybe the most significant progress she ever made as a songwriter.

But, it was a moment for all of them, and really should have been their final album. Nothing they’ve done since has been nearly as good.

THE Stephen Hopkins