Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
We are on the same page. Tango is a Lindsey Buckingham solo album with guest appearances by Christine, Mick, Stevie, and John. Very little if any of that music holds up today. I also agree that Mirage is so underrated.
No way.. Christine had Little Lies, Everywhere, Isn't It Midnight, You And I, Mystified... she was huge on that album... way more than an appearance.

I listen to her demos and her stuff was brilliant.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
We are on the same page. Tango is a Lindsey Buckingham solo album with guest appearances by Christine, Mick, Stevie, and John. Very little if any of that music holds up today. I also agree that Mirage is so underrated.
Isn't that why its an unpopular opinion? I am taking part in the thread. Its funny because most of the comments are people commenting on other people's comments but don't give their unpopular opinions
And I read some doozies
P.S. Liking the song Welcome to the Room Sara should have banned you from ever becoming a moderator
This is a dream, right?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-29-2017 at 05:39 AM..
Old 01-29-2017, 06:09 AM
Ledgie

So, now that you've all mentioned your unpopular opinions I feel I have a duty to bring my most unpopular and unattractive opinions to light.

O.K., so here goes:

(Dramatic Pause)

1.) "Tango In The Night" is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album. I just love it because of the spacey, ethereal sound, and honestly I think the cover perfectly matches the tone.

2.) My top 3 Fleetwood Mac albums, in order are, "Tango In The Night", "Tusk" and "Say You Will".

3.) When people quote lesser known Stevie Nicks solo songs I pretend to act like I know what they mean. I know this isn't good and I do eventually look up the lyrics, but it's because Stevie Nicks' lyrics are so wordy that I tend to not know which song is being quoted. It also doesn't help that there are A TON of demos and B-Sides floating around out there.

4.) I, with no irony at all, actually really enjoy Lindsey Buckingham's first two solo records. I'll admit "Go Insane" is incredibly stronger than "Law and Order", but I just love "Law and Order". (Although the puzzling cover art makes it pretty awkward to look at)

And this last one, I could potentially get kicked off of The Ledge for.

I don't know if I'm ready.

5.) I actually really, really like "Family Man". I know, I know!! But, before you throw your shoes at me, I just really like the unique sound of it. I think the chorus is one of the best choruses on "Tango In The Night", and Lindsey's flamenco picking thingy is brilliant. Trust me, I don't think the lyrics are that deep and introspective, and compared to Lindsey Buckingham's other songs it is a tad bit weaker; it's no "Seeds We Sew". But I think for one of the simpler moments on "Tango In The Night" it's really quite good.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Isn't that why its an unpopular opinion? I am taking part in the thread. Its funny because most of the comments are people commenting on other people's comments but don't give their unpopular opinions
And I read some doozies
P.S. Liking the song Welcome to the Room Sara should have banned you from ever becoming a moderator
This is a dream, right?
Deja Vu!! did I come here, on my own... lol
Old 01-29-2017, 08:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Lindsey is more about arrangements, production and music than he is about lyrics. Having said that, his contributions to Tango are his worst written songs in his career. I am talking about the lyrics. Overly simplistic.....even for him. I cant write but I could have written better songs.
Big Love - horrible
Family Man - worse
Caroline - cagey, ragey worst of all time

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 01-29-2017 at 12:47 PM..
Old 01-29-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Lindsey is more about arrangements, production and music than he is about lyrics. Having said that, his contributions to Tango are his worst written songs in his career. I am talking about the lyrics. Overly simplistic.....even for him. I cant write but I could have written better songs.
Big Love - horrible
Family Man - worse
Caroline - cagey, ragey worst of all time
Keeeeeeeeeps youuuuuuuuuuu runnnninnnnnnn
Old 01-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack View Post

4.) I, with no irony at all, actually really enjoy Lindsey Buckingham's first two solo records. I'll admit "Go Insane" is incredibly stronger than "Law and Order", but I just love "Law and Order". (Although the puzzling cover art makes it pretty awkward to look at)

so at the risk of doing exactly what people have pointed out, that is, commenting and rebutting others' unpopular opinions.....

I gotta ask what is so puzzling about the cover of Law and Order? It's a gorgeous picture of a gorgeous man shot by a famed old Hollywood photog in the style of B&W celeb photos of the 1940s..

Shows off how stunningly beautiful he was. Not puzzling to me.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:01 PM

There was already another thread that was also pretty recent with this same title here: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...ar#post1185254

However I still have the same single unpopular opinion that the 1975 white album is slightly superior to Tusk.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood Jack View Post

It's a picture that was taken during a session with famed Hollywood photographer George Hurrell. I'm pretty sure it was deliberately created as a homage to his iconic image of Johnny Weissmuller. I reckon it's got something to do with the swimming connection. Anyway, I certainly don't find it awkward to look at. Indeed, as a heterosexual male I find it a very striking picture (though I appreciate this is an unpopular opinion thread).

Edit: PS, that's a really annoying little pimple!

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 01-29-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Old 01-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
so at the risk of doing exactly what people have pointed out, that is, commenting and rebutting others' unpopular opinions.....

I gotta ask what is so puzzling about the cover of Law and Order? It's a gorgeous picture of a gorgeous man shot by a famed old Hollywood photog in the style of B&W celeb photos of the 1940s..

It's a gorgeous photo but I don't really love it either. It's kinda "mannequin". In general, 1981/1982 was the period I think Lindsey was least handsome. I think he was most druggy/drinky around then because he always looked kinda bloated and strung out. Thankfully he got himself sorted out and gorgeous again.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I find Lindsey attractive, in general. Indeed, I swoon over the Seven Wonders video. Think the Mirage NTF whispering is mega sexy. Yet, I find that album cover embarrassing and don't appreciate the exhibitionism. Yes, I think it's awkward and I don't expect it of him. If it was Prince, I would give it a thumbs up, but not what I want from LB.

Still, I haven't lost sleep over it either.

Michele
Old 01-29-2017, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
It's a gorgeous photo but I don't really love it either. It's kinda "mannequin". In general, 1981/1982 was the period I think Lindsey was least handsome. I think he was most druggy/drinky around then because he always looked kinda bloated and strung out. Thankfully he got himself sorted out and gorgeous again.
Your mannequin observation is on point and, I believe, intentional. So much of that record is sonically about the plasticity of art. The music itself is wrapped in a bright, confectionary package. There are times when I listen to that record and feel as though I'm walking through a hall of mirrors somewhere at Coney Island. It's got that oddball, throwback feel. I personally love LAW AND ORDER and think the visual art to be quite apt.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll add another unpopular opinion:

I think "Love Shines" and "Heart of Stone" are stronger and truer to the heart of the Mac spirit than anything on TANGO.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Your mannequin observation is on point and, I believe, intentional. So much of that record is sonically about the plasticity of art. The music itself is wrapped in a bright, confectionary package. There are times when I listen to that record and feel as though I'm walking through a hall of mirrors somewhere at Coney Island. It's got that oddball, throwback feel. I personally love LAW AND ORDER and think the visual art to be quite apt.
That's a really good way to put it, the Coney Island comparison. It's not my favorite of his albums but I can appreciate the brilliance. It's like 1950s on steroids, turned upside down.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:15 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

Sorry, I don't think I worded that real great. Please allow me to explain,

You see me and my family are all pretty big Fleetwood Mac fans, so we have like this thing where we kind of like lovingly make fun of each album and/or song even though we may love the album or song. Personally I think it's a striking, and bold move for a cover; and even though I'm straight I do think Lindsey Buckingham does look really good on the cover and it is a really beautiful photo. I was just keeping with our running joke. We have like kind of a weird/odd sense of humor for some reason, so I can see where I worded it equally as odd.

Anyway, I hope this clears up anything! And what do you think of the songs on "Law and Order"? Personally I love them for how weird and off the wall they are, but I'm curious as to what you think.