Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Who's met Christine?

As you can see with my new pics, I've been very lucky, but I've never met Christine and I havent heard many stories of people who have. I'm just curious, I would bet she's pretty nice to fans that meet her. SHe just doesnt seem like she'd be an ass to the fans. I'd be interested to hear some stories.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I met her a few times. The best story is I was backstage staying in the background, being very unobtrusive (Waiting for MAC members to come out) When the Gestapo Security Guards decided I should leave. I kinda snuck back beyond where my type of backstage pass allowed me to go, so in all fairness, they were right. But, rather than be nice about it, they were being rather rude. Just then Christine came out and said "Don't you people have anything better to do? He's with me! Now go find Stevie Some asperin and leave him alone!" She then led me back to the real backstage where I met everyone (But Stevie this time, as she was in the bathroom and wouldn't come out. Wasn't feeling well) I got autographs, but didn't have a camera with me. (Pre digital camera days and disposables weren't too common back then). She was soooo nice, and said "Don't worry about those Twits". Something about her accent saying twits, I always remembered. I got a chance to meet her a total of 5 times and she was always a classy lady. (And photos just don't due her justice.) I just wish ONCE I had a camera with me. But I do have the autographs and memmories. Oh well......

Watching the drama of the Ledge since 2001.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker007nmss
I met her a few times. The best story is I was backstage staying in the background, being very unobtrusive (Waiting for MAC members to come out) When the Gestapo Security Guards decided I should leave. I kinda snuck back beyond where my type of backstage pass allowed me to go, so in all fairness, they were right. But, rather than be nice about it, they were being rather rude. Just then Christine came out and said "Don't you people have anything better to do? He's with me! Now go find Stevie Some asperin and leave him alone!" She then led me back to the real backstage where I met everyone (But Stevie this time, as she was in the bathroom and wouldn't come out. Wasn't feeling well) I got autographs, but didn't have a camera with me. (Pre digital camera days and disposables weren't too common back then). She was soooo nice, and said "Don't worry about those Twits". Something about her accent saying twits, I always remembered. I got a chance to meet her a total of 5 times and she was always a classy lady. (And photos just don't due her justice.) I just wish ONCE I had a camera with me. But I do have the autographs and memmories. Oh well......
Jim, I am SO jealous of you right now.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
As you can see with my new pics, I've been very lucky, but I've never met Christine and I havent heard many stories of people who have. I'm just curious, I would bet she's pretty nice to fans that meet her. SHe just doesnt seem like she'd be an ass to the fans. I'd be interested to hear some stories.
I met her & she wanted me to make myself scarce. She used to hate the fans. But who can blame her? because as a wise friend of mine once said, "Fleetwood Mac is all right -- it's the fans that suck." And the fans do suck, & if I were Chris or someone else in FM, I'd do anything in my power to avoid them.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I met her & she wanted me to make myself scarce. She used to hate the fans. But who can blame her? because as a wise friend of mine once said, "Fleetwood Mac is all right -- it's the fans that suck." And the fans do suck, & if I were Chris or someone else in FM, I'd do anything in my power to avoid them.
I don't think the fans suck. I know a lot of people on this board who don't suck.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I don't think the fans suck. I know a lot of people on this board who don't suck.
As is true of any generalization, there are always exceptions.

But that's one of the reasons I love Chris so much -- she hates us. I find it incredibly attractive when someone hates the fans. It really gets to the John Simon in me.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-10-2005, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Jim, I am SO jealous of you right now.
For once, being an old fart has it's advantages. Back in those days security wasn't as tough, and they were all much more accessible. Much more laid back than today. No internet - so people didn't hound celebs for autographs to resell as much, so they gave them easier. Not as many people trying to get backstage back then- Mac was kinda pase' and didn't have the next gen with them just yet, like now. The music business was less corporate back then, the people seemed nicer (Record Label guys would often give you backstage passes when they were done with them if they knew you were a real fan). Try that today, the beancounters are much more Nazi-ish now. I don't think I will ever get those opportunities again - until Mac are playing Branson, Missouri.

Old 09-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I must have hit her on good nights. She seemed in good spirits and I didn't get the impression she hates fans. Of course that was decades ago, and there weren't many "fans" there at the time. She came to my rescue, and for that I will always be thankful to her. (Maybe I looked that pathetic - lost puppy compassion or something)

Old 09-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I must have hit her on good nights. She seemed in good spirits and I didn't get the impression she hates fans. Of course that was decades ago, and there weren't many "fans" there at the time. She came to my rescue, and for that I will always be thankful to her. (Maybe I looked that pathetic - lost puppy compassion or something)
Well, you are a swell looker and a snappy dresser

BTW - that was WAY cool of them to do that for you. Did y;all just sit and hand and chat - or was it just a meet and greet kind of thing?

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
Well, you are a swell looker and a snappy dresser

BTW - that was WAY cool of them to do that for you. Did y;all just sit and hand and chat - or was it just a meet and greet kind of thing?
Meet and greets are kinda new. Back then they had a room full of junk to eat and drink and everyone kinda milled around like a big party and gabbed. I didn't impose on any of them for very long, (Most were talking to people they obviously knew and I was a nobody afterall). I hated interrupting them when they were talking to people, so I would grab a chance to get an autograph and maybe a small question or two and then kinda move on and try to take it all in. Plus, what do you say to them? Either it sounds stupied "Oh I have all your albumns.....blah blah blah" or you ask a question and they stare at you cause it is kinda creepy when people know more about your career then you do. I have spoken to each a few times - some longer than others - and the only "real" conversation I had was with Stevie. (Yes, the dreaded lamp thread - cringe). But that was a FLUKE. Right time - right place.
Case in point. After unsuccessfully seeing anyone of the band, I was thrown out of one venue by the gestapo and was shown out through the loading dock. Lucky for me Lindsey and a few others were sitting on the cases cooling off after the show, so I got to gab with him a little bit. But I had no idea what to say. I don't play guitar, don't know his solo stuff real well, didn't want to bug him with a Stevie question, so ... I just chit chatted alittle , got his autograph, and got the impression that it was time for me to disappear.....so I did. He was nice, but you kinda know when you are intruding. Luckily, Asante the percussionist (Mask tour) was kind enough to go back and get a few more sigs for me from the rest of the band he could find. (Also brought me one of the set lists from the stage, that guy was soo cool).

Old 09-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The one time I did try to meet her she was getting into her limo about six feet from me. This was on The Dance tour. I said "Christine". She just looked at me and got in the car.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I must have hit her on good nights. She seemed in good spirits and I didn't get the impression she hates fans.
I did.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

I've met Christine twice.

Each occasion happened in Dallas at the bar of the gorgeous Crescent Court Hotel. She was extremely gracious, a very charming woman. The first time we talked about "Brown Eyes" (not her favorite song, BTW) and the second time it was my birthday and she recognized me -- "You've been sitting in the front the last few shows!" and we talked about the unbelievable success that THE DANCE was getting.
Took pictures with her both times.

I've been lucky enough to have met all the members of the RUMOURS-era Mac a few times and they have all been nothing but very sincere, very friendly people.

rbs
Old 09-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
The one time I did try to meet her she was getting into her limo about six feet from me. This was on The Dance tour. I said "Christine". She just looked at me and got in the car.
Fast forward seven years and you are mistaken for her by a very drunk golfer in Detroit

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn
I did.
Oh trust me, I have run into many "jerks" backstage. STINK..er sting is a total piece of crap. Lionel richie was also on the jerk list....The list is unfortuantely much longer. Makes your night to get blown off by Cyndi Lauper! "Can I get an autograph" to which she replied "Give your address to my manger I will send you one" - Geez in the time it took her to say that she could have Scarwled something. and yes, I was an idiot I gave her manager my address - and NO I never recieved anything.
The list goes on and on...... I have had plenty of those nights I wish to forget.