User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-10-2004, 05:17 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Yes, yes, sorry for the negativity in this thread that's supposed to have other intentions. I'll go fishing now and probably get the hook into my eye.
I can see how awful you feel for posting here, especially since detractors of Christines album can be found in the "Tad Disappointed" thread. But then it's far more fun when you can rain on our "little soiree", right? Bah.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Raising the mood here, I'm now officially HOOKED!!!! I can't stop listening to it.
So far, Northern Star is my favorite.
Beautiful album, Christine!
Old 09-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Raising the mood here, I'm now officially HOOKED!!!! I can't stop listening to it.
So far, Northern Star is my favorite.
Beautiful album, Christine!
Sorry HomerMcvie, lost myself there for a moment.
I've been hooked since the first day I got the album. I listen to it constantly. It is an absolutely wonderful piece of work. I couldn't be happier.

Christine Rules!

What a stunning woman.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I'm now officially HOOKED!!!! I can't stop listening to it.
Well Homer, it didn't take you long to get hooked on the album. I still can't believe you waited until the U.S. release date to get the album. You must have a lot of will power.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up In The Meantime

Count me in. I do love both Chris and her new album. I haven't stopped listening to ITM in months now. Her voice has never sounded better. It's so soothing and pitch perfect. I simply can't get enough of her new stuff. And I enjoy every song, from "Friend" to "Givin' It Back".

I really appreciate Chris more now than I ever have. Obviously what FM is sorely missing these days.
Old 09-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well Homer, it didn't take you long to get hooked on the album. I still can't believe you waited until the U.S. release date to get the album.
Well, I had an new addition to my house go extremely over budget, so I curtailed ALL unnecessary spending for a couple of months. Believe me, it wasn't easy holding off on ITM.
Quote:
You must have a lot of will power.
Indeedioso. I am Master of My Domain.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR
I can see how awful you feel for posting here, especially since detractors of Christines album can be found in the "Tad Disappointed" thread. But then it's far more fun when you can rain on our "little soiree", right? Bah.
Now now. Nowhere in that post of mine was I trying to make my opinion the 'definitive' one. There's things like "to me", "don't really move me", etc used so on those terms I do not believe it appears too harsh or even intent on making other people share the opinions that I have. I got the album on the day of its release, by the way. Until yesterday I hadn't commented on it in this board. Now if I was trying to influence people with my "negativity", I certainly would have had the time to do so in these ten weeks after its release and before the post I made in this thread.

I also wonder why you took on to my post as being particularly negative.
My Lindsey Buckingham fanaticism I have made clear several times on the Ledge, one view at my posting history would only confirm this. So of course I was bound to bring the aspect of his and Richard's production up; that's the way I've been listening to Christine's work since the departure of Bob Welch, sans Behind The Mask and her 1984 solo album plus a few stray tracks here and there. That is still my preferred way of listening to what she does although I do recognize that technically she's always been the best songwriter in Fleetwood Mac.

I am a big fan of Christine's work, however, not as big as most people posting on the Christine board though. I don't think she ever truly went wrong in between 1975-1995 and the Welch years are very close to those two decades in quality (although I'll never understand why they picked "Show Me A Smile" and "Morning Rain" for Future Games because FM had been playing the first arrangement of "Spare Me A Little" [a far superior song to me] already in 1970).

As you can see, I brought out good qualities in In The Meantime too. Technically it is flawless, and the resonant qualities in Christine's voice are still intact. I think "Friend" and "You Are" are beautiful, over-glowing positive tunes that certainly make me feel fine and after that I wanna go and smell some flowers.

Quite honestly, I could have chosen to take the harsher route if I was severely disappointed with the album (which I'm not, I may not like it much but it's not like it's the equivalent of Coil's The Angelic Conversation). I could have come in here after having listened to it a couple of times and stated that it's too uniform, not excessive enough and that it's just fine as background music, as something that's harmless to listen to and as banal as a plaster on your forehead. I could've brought out the beaten-to-death "housewives" argument again. Yet that is not my approach, nor has it ever been.

Look at Hawkeye and Golden Braid, they posted their critique of the album and yet you didn't feel like criticizing them. How come you felt like criticizing me? Simply because I rarely am satisfied with a sentence or two when I try to explain how I feel?
Really, while I'm not the most positive person around on the Ledge I try not to bring my 'negative' qualities through in everything I post. Once again, if I had hammered down constantly "In The Meantime sucks, In The Meantime sucks" then I would understand your criticism. Now I don't though.

Considering that the other recent thread about the general quality of In The Meantime has now turned into a positive praise, against Dissention's original wishes, should I now go and start complaining in that thread about this particular turn?

Why do I not like In The Meantime that much? If I want to analyze music, I have to first analyze myself. Obviously it doesn't speak to me in the same areas as it does to the most of you posting in this board. But it tells only of me and of nothing else. Right now in my life the sequenced rhythm tracks, the masculine bass and the desperate vocal of New Order's "586" resonate more than the uplifting qualities of something like "Calumny". Who knows though, as my life situations change and as I grow up even more, how I will eventually end up feeling about the album? I'm always open to that possibility.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 09-11-2004, 07:38 PM

Face, I try to never take any posts personally, I agreed with some of your points and I even saw some love for Christine in there. It's all good!

To the LB bashing thread!!!
Old 09-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I've already said that I'm not fanatical about the album, but the stuff I like on it I don't just like, I LOVE, and I can't seem to get "Forgiveness" and "Sweet Revenge" out of my head. I'll be trying to get to sleep and that cool part about the "gun in your back, stab in the dark" keeps playing in my head! As for the other question that started this thread, I must, in turn, ask--

Who doesn't love Christine?

Hillary
Old 09-15-2004, 05:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually got the album back in June but gotta agree with everyone else... it's absolutely fantastic. Christine's voice just sounds so right-on, and melodies are just so light and upbeat. I listen to it all the time!