Old 06-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default From Russia with Love

[Thought the drinking contest, or Vodga Guzzle, was amusing]

July 15, 1977, PM cycle

BYLINE: By JURATE KAZICKAS, Associated Press Writer

DATELINE: WASHINGTON

BODY:
President Carter talks about differences with the Soviet Union, but things can't be all that bad when Russian embassy officials stay up until 3 a.m. chug-a-lugging vodka with members of the rock group Fleetwood Mac.

And anyone who saw those Russians clutching their Fleetwood Mac albums to be autographed, clustered around sexy lead singer Stevie Nicks like bees to honeysuckle, could sense there was hope for the future of detente.

Some Soviet officials said Thursday that they had recommended to Moscow that the group, which is comprised of three English singers and two Americans, be invited to perform in the Soviet Union.

On Tuesday, the group performed in a steamy auditorium packed with 22,000 screaming fans. More than 30 Russian embassy personnel got the same good vibrations as President Carter's two sons, Health, Education and Welfare Secretary Joseph Califano and dozens of young White House staffers.

"Oh I liked the music very much," grinned Valentin Kamenev, Soviet press counselor at a party for the group afterwards.

He challenged singer Christine McVie to a vodka guzzle. The two were still standing after several glasses of the white lightning were downed and even better friends by the time they switched to Dom Perignon champagne to celebrate the singer's birthday.

So mellow was the mood of the party-hosted by a record company and a United Nations organization - that the talk eventually turned to a Fleetwood Mac concert in Russia.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band recently was the first American rock group to visit the Soviet Union, but in the past the Soviets have turned down requests from other groups, including America, the Beach Boys and Chicago.

An aide to Soviet Ambassador Anatoly Dobrynin expressed concern about rock groups and "narcotics."

And another officials, who had just finished debating the neutron bomb with a reporter, referred to Carter's latest comments at a press conference about tensions between Washington and Moscow.

"Perhaps this would not be the right time. May be in a few years it would be better," he said, and added, "besides, there would have to be some corrections made."

Corrections.

"First, the music is too loud," the Russian said.

But Wednesday morning the group's lawyer, Michael Shapiro, met with Kamenev and came away optimistic about a trip to Russia, perhaps next year.

"I think they were genuinely impressed with the cleanliness, demeanor and charm of the group," said Shapiro.

"But this would not be just another rock concert. We're not going there to rip off rubles. We proposed that the proceeds from the concerts go to UNESCO and they liked that idea."
Old 06-02-2008, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That would be one brave man to challenge Christine to a drinking competition!

Gail
Old 06-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That Russian concert string never panned out, but it's a good thing. Fleetwood Mac might have been imprisoned for drug use or "formalism" in the Eisensteinian manner.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
That Russian concert string never panned out, but it's a good thing. Fleetwood Mac might have been imprisoned for drug use or "formalism" in the Eisensteinian manner.
Or accused of being "decadents"
Old 03-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Saw this in This Day in History

http://birminghamseagle.com/news/ech0323.html

Rolling Stone reports Fleetwood Mac is working on final adjustments to perform at Moscow's 3,000 seat Russian Concert Hall on July 8, 9, and 10th. Their advisor, Michael Shapiro admits, "Everything, of course, depends on world peace."
Old 03-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
"Everything, of course, depends on world peace."
Aint it the truth

Gail
Old 03-23-2009, 02:59 PM

wow.... chuggin vodka....
Old 03-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Amusing? Hardly. That kind of drinking can kill people. I hope the reporter exaggerated.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Amusing? Hardly. That kind of drinking can kill people. I hope the reporter exaggerated.
Yep, it amused me. Perhaps, because I read it 30 years after the fact, well knowing that Christine was not killed or injured in having done it or, perhaps, I'm just easily amused. I laughed when he said they were "better friends" afterwards.

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 03-23-2009 at 04:40 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

wow christine chugging vodka. i knew she drank a lot back in the day but didnt know she could down vodka like that. i've had many friends that would drink like that every weekend and they would be fine but one of my good friends drank too much soco one time and ended up in the hospital. i wasnt with her when it happened but she passed out on a raft in her pool and luckily her parents found her. we always used to say it was because she didnt drink often enough and her body wasnt used to it.
i personally cant drink the hard stuff because it makes me sick but i can surely down a 12 pack of beer with no problem, LOL!