The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2004, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Post Chris and Dennis Wilson, yet again.

It's very likely that the following is nothing new for many and has been posted before but while searching for the information on the unreleased Dennis Wilson solo album Bamboo I found this lengthy biography that includes some Mac snippets. From http://www.mountvernonandfairway.de/dennis.htm:

Quote:
After 1978, the only material that I'm aware Dennis worked on was his collaborations with Christine McVie in 1979 or 1980. Some tracks actually were cut in Hawaii at one point, but those tapes are not in the Beach Boys' tape vault, so the information on them is very sketchy.

I should clarify that when I referenced the Christine McVie sessions as "the only material ... Dennis worked on" after 1978, I was referring to material that would be considered "Dennis Wilson recordings" in some fashion. Obviously, as Lucas Cestari has pointed out, Dennis did produce several sessions for Brian circa 1980-81 and made at least a token appearance in the studio for the KEEPIN' THE SUMMER ALIVE album.
Quote:
From 1979 through 1981, Dennis traveled sporadically with Fleetwood Macs enormous entourage. Though Christine would have liked her lover constantly by her side, Dennis didn´t enjoy tagging along - he did, however, occasionally surprise her by showing up unannounced. While he proposed to her in front of the entire band during a Hawaii stop, the two never wed. Their relationship endured for a rocky two years.

"Full Sail" must have been inspired by the days he'd spent aboard The Harmony with his brother. Another classic Carl Wilson composition, "Angel Come Home," served as a great vehicle for Dennis's unique voice. The song reflected the regret Carl felt over the failure of bis marriage.

"Love Surrounds Me" features Christine McVie´s voice at the fade out.
(NOTE: GOSSIP ALERT FOR THE FOLLOWING)
Quote:
Unable to resist the obvious temptation, Dennis made love to Stevie Nicks just when he was supposed to be settling down with Christine. He also returned to Karen on a fairly regular basis - he just couldn't seern to give her up.

One night, while Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks were working at Village Recorders, Dennis, Christine, and Ed Roach stopped by. "We all started talking about Brian," remembers Roach. "Stevie and Lindsay were saying what big Beach Boys fans they were when they were teenagers." Then, in a casual a cappella style, Buckingham and Nicks started singing Brian's old song "The Farmer's Daughter" from Surfin´ USA. Dennis teased Christine, saying, "See, I told you we were good." At that point, Dennis and Ed left the studio to paint the town. In the early morning hours, they returned, worn out, to pick up Christine. "We knocked on the studio door and Christine unlocked it to let us in," recalls Roach. "She had tears rurming down her face and said, 'My God I was hoping it was you guys!"' When Dennis asked, "What's the matter? Are we late?" Christine just led them quietly back into the studio. She wanted them to hear what had made her so emotional. Lindsay, Stevie, and Christine, all fighting tears, played back the arrangement of "The Farmer's Daughter" they had been working on all night. "Dennis freaked out when he heard it, and he started crying, too," says Roach. A short time later, their beautiful rendition of Brian's classic song would reach a whole new audience as a cut on a Fleetwood Mac live album.
Quote:
The battered heart of Christine McVie could finally take no more. In 1981, Christine realized that she had no more forgiveness left to dish out. Christine's final gesture to Dennis was a lovely song titled "Only Over You." In it, she reflects on the difficulty of loving a man with a habit of being gone; she admits to being aware that others think she's "crazy" and a "silly girl" for putting up with it all. But Christine had longed for a future with Dennis, and "Only Over You" is one last declaration of love. Released in 1982, after the couple had parted, the record bears a simple message on its sleeve: Special thanks for inspiration to Dennis Wilson." Over the years that followed, Christine stayed away from Dennis, and she would never comment publicly at any length about their time together.
What interests me here especially are the recordings that Dennis and Chris supposedly made together; material that I presume only a few have the access to. I was wondering if anyone had any other info on this work? And since Chris appears on the Beach Boys L.A. (Light Album) could it be that Dennis appears on Tusk? Somewhere in that wall of sound, of course, homogenized into total anonymity.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 06-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
What interests me here especially are the recordings that Dennis and Chris supposedly made together; material that I presume only a few have the access to. I was wondering if anyone had any other info on this work?
I've heard that Christine has these recordings herself & are locked away somewhere, I assume forever.

Thanks for all these juicy snippets. I hadn't heard about Dennis Wilson & Stevie. I had heard about Dennis & Lindsey's girlfriend though. I think her name was Carol Ann or something like that.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I think her name was Carol Ann or something like that.
Yeah, Carol Ann Harris. I wish Chris would one day let these recordings out into circulation anyway. Dennis and Chris were both on a creative high at the time; Dennis' Pacific Ocean Blue solo album is probably the best solo album ever made by a Beach Boy (only rivalled by Brian's solo debut). But maybe they're all too personal for her so she doesn't want to share them with anyone.

Old 06-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Sheesh, that Dennis, what a piece of work. Stevie, too.

I used to listen to Pacific Ocean Blue all the time, many years back...haven't heard that album in AGES but it was *really* good.

Would love to someday hear what Chris and Dennis had worked on together.

-Lis
Old 06-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How does this person know Dennis and Stevie shacked up? I went to the site, but did not see anything.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-10-2004, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wink Uh, Strand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
How does this person know Dennis and Stevie shacked up?
Duh. Lindsey said it. "Packin' up, shackin' up's all you wanna do..."

Old 06-10-2004, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Dennis' Pacific Ocean Blue solo album is probably the best solo album ever made by a Beach Boy (only rivalled by Brian's solo debut).
Carl Wilson's first solo effort also should be mentioned in the same breath as Dennis' POB, as well.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Stevie but damn--the girl got around!
Old 06-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Damn, she needed some SUPERGLUE between her knees!!
Old 06-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847

LOL - you are so bad.

Interestingly, many think that line is not about Stevie sleeping around, many think it means, LB I do not want to marry you - I just want to live together, hence the term "shakin up" - but who knows.

Again, did this person watch Dennis and Stevie go at it I mean they assert this without saying how they know it. I hate it when people do that. I am too much of a skeptic I guess

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-10-2004, 02:50 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
Hmmm, I wonder if he's got Stevie confused with Carol Ann Harris though? Both were Lindsey's girlfriend at one point. It would be easy to assume that Dennis sleeping with Lindsey's girl, meant Stevie.
Well there is a theory that all of Lindsey's girlfriends after Stevie have all resembled her in a way.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

OK, am I the only one who went and dug up Pacific Ocean Blue?

I went down in the basement and put it on the turntable, and within a few minutes i was weepy. Moonshine is SUCH a stunningly beautiful song, there aren't words. I played it like 4 times in a row. Marty actually dragged his @$$ away from the computer for a few minutes and came down and listened too. You just can't help but be moved by that song.

Dennis was a talented man. Living in his brother's shadow could not have been easy. Plus w/ the messed up childhood they had....sigh. I feel guilty for the bad thoughts I had about him today.....but i think I fixed my karma a bit by playing his music. :-)

Had he lived, maybe he would have benefited by some Paxil or Zoloft or something to mellow him out just a tad!

-Lis
Old 06-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGeMe
I love Stevie but damn--the girl got around!
The mental image of Stevie and Dennis is well...ewww.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
Dennis was a talented man. Living in his brother's shadow could not have been easy. Plus w/ the messed up childhood they had....sigh. I feel guilty for the bad thoughts I had about him today.....but i think I fixed my karma a bit by playing his music. :-)

Had he lived, maybe he would have benefited by some Paxil or Zoloft or something to mellow him out just a tad!

-Lis
]

I think the alcoholism would have killed him. In a way it did. It really is unfortunate. He was the only actual surfer in the band.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
Oh and the packin' up, shackin' up line I definitely reckon is about Stevie not accepting Lindsey's marriage proposal. Didn't he allude to that fact in an interview once? I remember I totally took it that way.
Waaaaiiitttt... he proposed to her?!?!?

(referring to the "Death Star" laser)
Dr. Evil- "...I thought we'd name it in his honor: The Alan Parsons Project."
Scott- "The Alan Parsons Project was a progressive rock band from 1982. Why don't you just name it Operation Wang Chung?"