User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by singertobe View Post
So I'm almost done reading Mick's first autobiography (currently in the middle of chapter 9 of 10) and I thought it was really sweet of him to try and help all the former Mac members with their careers, even if it didn't work out like with Peter Green. Why is he not doing that now with Lindsey? What changed between the man he was then and the man he has become today.

Also, I'm gonna be reading Ken's autobiography after I'm done with this and then move on to Ray's. This is all part of my attempt to understand Lindsey's personality and hopefully try to find some missing link that will tell us all why this has happened.
You should actually be reading it all in an attempt to understand *Stevie's* personality and try to find the link that tells us why this happened. She was the driver behind it, as is now acknowledged publicly by the band themselves. Then maybe you can tell Lindsey what you find, because he claims to not know either.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I wish she had paid as much attention to recording as to touring, especially as her abilities fade with age and overuse. Her solo output is weak in quantity and, often, quality. Her real legacy will be the recordings and not the tours, sadly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
And all of these decisions were ones she made. Whoever it was who told her 20 years ago that she didn't have to work that hard, just tour your back catalog,you don't need to create new music, she really took to that piece of advice. For her, that was probably the worst thing somebody could of told her as she has always needed a strong nudge and support from others to get new music across the finish line.

In turn, it shifted her focus from being an active artist to primarily focusing on peddling the persona and image of herself that was is largely rooted in the work of prior decades. There are one of two routes that people tend to go. She spent a considerable amount of time developing her catalog of work and personal image as a brand and primarily focused on driving that brand out into the market. Sadly, IMO a huge part of that persona has been cemented or centered around playing Rhiannon (or similar) in hockey arenas. Playing that image in front of the largest common denominator.

Lindsey went the other route. He spent more time in the studio. More time developing his work, less time preoccupied with selling an image or himself as a brand. This is why his guitar playing is often described as "iconic" but there isn't this visual iconic image that is associated with him. For fans it is that turner guitar and style/tone of playing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I loved hearing Stevie sing on her first three tours, her 1994 tour, and maybe a little of her 1998 tour. But only her first tour was really a stretch for her conceptually. For the first time ever, she and her band had to figure out a way to present her for a complete show, and they were creative and successful. They built a strong set featuring nearly all of her new album, some key Mac hits, a movie soundtrack song, a first-time-ever cover, and even an unreleased song. They created a sort of narrative arc, too—we take certain things for granted nowadays like the use of Edge of Seventeen as a set closer and Rhiannon as an encore, but that practice had to be imagined for the first time in 1981. The Mac songs were many of them inventively treated musically, like Angel and Rhiannon and Gold Dust Woman—the Mac versions were obviously not used as blueprints.

But the 1983 tour (which I loved for its amazing drugged-up passion and conviction and sense of liberation) was, structurally, a note-for-note repeat of the 1981 tour. It was at that point that Lindsey's criticism of the lounge act was made and it was accurate. Bad news after that, too: virtually every tour afterward was more or less a repeat of the 1981 creation—with a couple of new songs tossed in to indicate that, yes, we are promoting the newest album.

This last tour with Chrissie Hynde was remarkable for its differences from the old formula. Stevie went out on a limb again and tried to create a new show. Props to her (at least from me). Unfortunately, by that time, she had singing problems.

I can't think of many elements of all her tours that were really new or that really tried to present her from a different angle. Even her toying with the orchestra in Melbourne was unsurprising—lots of acts had done that by that time.

Those of you who have heard all the old audience recordings of old shows probably remember hearing Stevie make onstage jokes and comments about "just me and a piano." Imagine her ever actually having the guts to do that. Well, Lindsey did that, right? Not even a piano, just him and his guitar. There isn't a chance in hell Stevie would ever be that bold and shake up her formula to that degree. From Lindsey's guitar army, with its intricately planned orchestrations and precision, to his solo guitar tour, Lindsey is no lounge act. She has been one for a long time, a very successful, beloved lounge act. That's what makes you a lounge act: the habit of repeating your old successes in the old frames of reference year after year—never trying to recreate yourself or the impressions you're making on the audience.

Yes, yes, and yes.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Despite Stevie's successes in 1981, you have to give Lindsey the edge in this realm. His live solo arrangement of Big Love,
Huh? That and “Go Insane” were pretty much it. Lindsey’s arrangements of NGBA, “I’m So Afraid,” “The Chain,” GYOW, and SMAP were pretty much identical to the Fleetwood Mac arrangements. Same for SHN and “World Turning” in 2006. He was certainly no Richard Thompson in that regard.

Quote:
In fact, some of us may wish he had not been quite so insistent with that style, and had developed some other ideas.
This.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-06-2019, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
Another longtime fan here who has, sadly, let go. I still love the music and cherish all the years of being a fan. But that’s nostalgia now.

It’s not just the shameful way things went down. It’s that coupled with the fact that these people are now old verging on elderly. It does not surprise me to read that some recent dates got canceled due to illness; this is now an old, old band.
You are right of course, about their age. But we know that even 10 years ago they would’ve canceled a few dates because of illness. Someone’s voice goes out, someone truly gets ill or sometimes they just don’t sell enough tickets, so they blame it on illness. That has been happening for years.

But it is precisely because of their age, and imminent nursing care and deaths, that what has happened is so traumatic and irredeemable.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
You are right of course, about their age. But we know that even 10 years ago they would’ve canceled a few dates because of illness. Someone’s voice goes out, someone truly gets ill or sometimes they just don’t sell enough tickets, so they blame it on illness. That has been happening for years.

But it is precisely because of their age, and imminent nursing care and deaths, that what has happened is so traumatic and irredeemable.
After 15 months of drama, I only hope he could heal properly, both physically and mentally. The latter will be probably the hardest one.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
After 15 months of drama, I only hope he could heal properly, both physically and mentally. The latter will be probably the hardest one.
i really hope he's not even seeing any of the crap going on.

was so looking forward to fakewoods moving out of my area, finally. ito be done with their tour and their stupid disrespectful advertising. they were supposed to be gone outta here this week. yet now they still have to remake 2 shows around here (maybe they'll be cancelled?) and then they are now apparently being poor men's replacement for the Stones at the jazzfest.

i wanna move on. i want to get over it. but they keep adding insults to injury.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-07-2019, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i really hope he's not even seeing any of the crap going on.

was so looking forward to fakewoods moving out of my area, finally. ito be done with their tour and their stupid disrespectful advertising. they were supposed to be gone outta here this week. yet now they still have to remake 2 shows around here (maybe they'll be cancelled?) and then they are now apparently being poor men's replacement for the Stones at the jazzfest.

According to FM77, an insider of sorts, it will be their last tour. Thank God! Put this travesty to rest!!!
Old 04-07-2019, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
According to FM77, an insider of sorts, it will be their last tour. Thank God! Put this travesty to rest!!!
But I thought it was a “new band” 😂

Mick is disgusting

So all of this was for NOTHING

And it all ends, instead of a story of romance and redemption, as one of greed and revenge

I can’t wait to hear the songs that get written about it

But this is a tragedy

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
But I thought it was a “new band” 😂

Mick is disgusting

So all of this was for NOTHING

And it all ends, instead of a story of romance and redemption, as one of greed and revenge

I can’t wait to hear the songs that get written about it

But this is a tragedy
And don’t forget all of the new music this new band is going to make. It’s a colossal F-you to many fans. Beyond sad
Old 04-07-2019, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just wanted to post to say hi, everybody.

(I had to go in to the office today to finish some work, so I'm kind of bored.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If true, this definitely makes this "incarnation" of Fleetwood Mac a cover band. It's one thing to go on the road but to not make new music is disgraceful and a slap in the face to Lindsey who was obviously willing to be flexible with his own schedule. Kind of a slap in the face to all the other members of the past who busted their ass in the studio and on the road.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I just wanted to post to say hi, everybody.

(I had to go in to the office today to finish some work, so I'm kind of bored.)
Hi, David!
Old 04-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think it should be, but I will believe it when I see it. You can never underestimate the greed.

For Stevie it would be easy, because of course she can tour solo.

If FM really does stop touring, I'd bet it would be more due to John and/or Christine and health issues. I can't see Mick being unwilling to go on, nor Stevie. But she gets less hassle and more of a cut going out solo. And more of her songs.

Makes me wonder more about the discussions about firing Lindsey. If you knew this was your last tour, why boot him then? As LB points out, it sort of sh&ts on your legacy and the whole point of going out 'one last time'. A final tour should be a love letter to your fans and all the highlights of your career.

So one imagines the conversation being Stevie saying she won't tour with LB, the rest thinking well sh*t I was going to top off my bank account one last time (because clearly the thinking wasn't, hey this is our last tour let's be daring and do the set we always wanted to do or whatever) and Mick's whole admitted "we had to decide if we could do it anyway" which translates to "let's not leave all that money on the table".

But you know events like this jazz festival and other things will come up where people will ask them to play and Mick will run around trying to rally everyone else to do it. Who will he rally-- Mike and Neil as well? They will have moved on and have to consider dropping whatever they are doing for FM....not sure I see Mike doing that, but I suppose everyone has their price......

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 04-08-2019 at 12:55 PM..
Old 04-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Jazzfest Cancelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

They have apparently cancelled their performance at Jazzfest too, due to Stevie having "the flu" :

https://www.nola.com/entertainment/2...fest-show.html
We can all break down forever " 💔
Old 04-08-2019, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

wondering if karma is catching up to Ms. you know who