Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
I didn't know about the Rojas thing either till I read where Ken Caillait talked about it. The Sara thing was in CAH's book. I'm not saying no one else slept around and did bad things, like who even knows what Mick did lol, but the thing is is that she did do all these bad things, multiple times. And acted like a hypocrite. And only ever made things about herself, never really acted sorry about it for the other people involved or the fact that it's just wrong. I think you should be judged for that. It's not a good sign for the strength of your morals and respect for others when you do things like that. Men who cheat are guilty but the "other woman" is just as bad if you ask me, for knowingly getting involved. And Stevie was both a cheater AND "the other woman" more than once.

**EDIT: I believe the Rojas tidbit might actually have been from CAH book as well! Either that or something from Ken. I remember it was known they had had a relationship but I was shocked when I read the dirty details.
I'm going to have to dig those books out again! I either missed or completely forgot these tidbits!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
Let's face it, she was total slut. Don't blame it on her. Blame it on her Wild Heart!
Slut shaming. Disgusting. Give us a full rundown of where your pecker's been and then we'll talk.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
There's plenty of blame to go around! Stevie should have kept her hands off guys who were "taken", but all those men were only too happy to drop their girlfriends/wives like hot potatoes to get a piece of Stevie Nicks.
+1000
Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Yeah, how about that Christine McVie, married to John but sleeping with the lighting guy and even writing a song about how much she enjoyed having sex with him, and then performing that same song live with John? Or Mick sleeping with Stevie while married, as well as many other women? And look at how many times Mick has been married. Fidelity appears to have been a challenge for Mick no matter who he was married to. But I still love their music!

My point is, yes it's nasty when Stevie or anyone has an affair with someone who's married, but that doesn't make her a home wrecker. The person who made those wedding vows, they're the one who screwed up their marriage. Was the lighting guy Christine was having an affair with the reason she divorced John? No. Now, I don't know anything about this Rojas guy, nor do I care, but I would bet big bucks if he cheated on his wife or fiancee with Stevie, she wasn't the only one he cheated with.

A quick aside- a friend once told me about her college friend, a man who whose wife cheated on him several times, but because he loved her so much, he took her back every time. This resulted in several reconciliations, breakups, and a bankruptcy because he would follow her to every city she moved to and bail her out of financial problems. She ended the story by saying "I don't know what's wrong with her," and I said "her? What's wrong with him?" I guess this shows how people can have a different perception of things.
Right? What we haven't touched on is the period in time that this was all happening. The 70's and early 80's were a time when people were pushing the boundaries of societal norms. The whole free love thing from the sixties carried over. People were very, very promiscuous. That all came to a halt when the HIV epidemic exploded in the mid 80's. The party was over so to speak.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's always struck me as odd that Iovine didn't hear a single on Bella Donna, when in fact the album produced 3 big singles beyond SDMHA.

EO17 would've been a strong first single. Maybe a little too strong/hard? Maybe the issue was he didn't hear a good introductory single, one that was pop enough for FM fans but hard enough for rock fans...?
Old 06-30-2017, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12 View Post
It's always struck me as odd that Iovine didn't hear a single on Bella Donna, when in fact the album produced 3 big singles beyond SDMHA.

EO17 would've been a strong first single. Maybe a little too strong/hard? Maybe the issue was he didn't hear a good introductory single, one that was pop enough for FM fans but hard enough for rock fans...?
I think it would've been a bit too much for EO17 to be lead single. Too harsh. SDMHA was a good choice.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I'm going to have to dig those books out again! I either missed or completely forgot these tidbits!
If it was from Ken it was probably an interview or a Q&A or something, I remember his book didn't cover much aside from Rumours. It was most likely CAH, she spilled a lot of the relationship tea. I remember she even mentioned that Sharon Celani was hooking up with Ray Lindsay
Old 06-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinker12 View Post

Yes I think that was strange too. Leather and Lace jumps out as a very radio friendly single. But I think they were marketing Stevie as a full rock goddess and did not want another adult contemporary Sara or Dreams. Edge of 17 is amazing but maybe they thought too long as a single or something.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine was not seeing Curry Grant (lighting director) while she and John were still married. They were divorced BEFORE the band even started recording Rumours. A lot of tv/magazine/newspaper reporters like to say she was having an affair with the lighting director while married because they are lazy and don't do their homework.
Old 06-30-2017, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The tidbit about Hernan Rojas was from CAH's book after all! I found the part where she mentions it. She's talking about Jimmy Iovine in the paragraph and then mentions the old romance. Here's the screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 8.01.08 PM.png (84.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
The tidbit about Hernan Rojas was from CAH's book after all! I found the part where she mentions it. She's talking about Jimmy Iovine in the paragraph and then mentions the old romance. Here's the screenshot.
Thanks for this! Carol has said she is writing a sequel. I can't wait to read it.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
this sounds like she's talking about the time during Mirage when Jimmy showed up in France with Stevie and Jimmy and Lindsey got into it..... does she talk about that part? (I'm too lazy and it's too late at night for me to go figure out where my long-lost copy of her book is)
Old 07-01-2017, 02:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
this sounds like she's talking about the time during Mirage when Jimmy showed up in France with Stevie and Jimmy and Lindsey got into it..... does she talk about that part? (I'm too lazy and it's too late at night for me to go figure out where my long-lost copy of her book is)
Nope not at all. That's basically all that she mentions about Jimmy in France, and just says that things were tense in the band because he was the producer for her solo career. No mention at all of a fight or almost fight and Jimmy leaving early. Given Stevie's tendency to exaggerate practically all the time and not be the most objective source, I'd question that entire claim to some degree.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the Innerview for "Hard Promises," Tom told Jim Ladd that he had a lot of respect for Stevie because of the story around "Insider." That was the song he originally intended to let Stevie use on her album, but after the two of them finished a beautiful vocal (which reminded Tom of Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris on "Grievous Angel"), Tom said that Stevie released the song back to Tom because she could tell that he really wanted to keep it. Then she told him to give her another song, which turned out to be HIS choice to give her "Stop Dragging My Heart Around." She was thrilled because it was a lot grittier, and she didn't really want a love ballad from him. So the song becomes a hit, and he may have been a little pissy for a time, but I don't think it bothered him all that much. In fact, on the radio with Jim Ladd, he sort of laughed about the fact that it was a hit.

I think their friendship survived that little nothing of an incident. She camp-followed him on part of his tour in 1981, and he gave her another song for her next album. His next album, "Long After Dark," had two big singles: "You Got Lucky" and "Change of Heart," still Heartbreakers classics today.

What's a little freakier is hearing from Jimmy that he didn't like Stan Lynch. Lynch was the best Heartbreakers drummer in history by a huge margin. His style was as integral to the Heartbreakers sound as Mick Fleetwood's style is to his band. One of the saddest days musically for the Heartbreakers was the day they **** canned Stan Lynch. One of the worst moves ever.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-01-2017, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
In the Innerview for "Hard Promises," Tom told Jim Ladd that he had a lot of respect for Stevie because of the story around "Insider." That was the song he originally intended to let Stevie use on her album, but after the two of them finished a beautiful vocal (which reminded Tom of Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris on "Grievous Angel"), Tom said that Stevie released the song back to Tom because she could tell that he really wanted to keep it. Then she told him to give her another song, which turned out to be HIS choice to give her "Stop Dragging My Heart Around." She was thrilled because it was a lot grittier, and she didn't really want a love ballad from him. So the song becomes a hit, and he may have been a little pissy for a time, but I don't think it bothered him all that much. In fact, on the radio with Jim Ladd, he sort of laughed about the fact that it was a hit.

I think their friendship survived that little nothing of an incident. She camp-followed him on part of his tour in 1981, and he gave her another song for her next album. His next album, "Long After Dark," had two big singles: "You Got Lucky" and "Change of Heart," still Heartbreakers classics today.

What's a little freakier is hearing from Jimmy that he didn't like Stan Lynch. Lynch was the best Heartbreakers drummer in history by a huge margin. His style was as integral to the Heartbreakers sound as Mick Fleetwood's style is to his band. One of the saddest days musically for the Heartbreakers was the day they **** canned Stan Lynch. One of the worst moves ever.

Stan and Jimmy butted heads quite a bit (if you haven't seen the Heartbreakers documentary with footage of them in the studio, check it out). Indeed Stan butted heads with nearly everyone in the band at some point or another....though he and Benmont were especially close.

Stan makes it clear in Tom's authorized biography that he (Stan) is NOT a fan of Stevie's and her relationship with that band. The author (who was requested by Tom to write the book-- there's a great New Yorker interview with him) doesn't include any of Stan's reasons (I wonder if any of what Stan said was cut by Tom-- Tom reserved the right to read the book first and request things cut if he wanted) for his dislike of Stevie, but it does include his comment "Stevie Nicks-- don't get me started".

As for the Stop Draggin My Heart Around thing, a couple of them talk about it in the documentary, and Mike Campbell talks about how it came out around the same time as the Heartbreakers' single for their album, and how radio wasn't gonna load up on TWO Petty songs, and if they had one with Tom AND Stevie, that's the one they'd play......so their single didn't do nearly as well as it would have otherwise. That kind of thing impacts album sales etc... So Mike tells how he ran into Stevie and she was all excited about how well SDMHA was doing and he made a comment to her like "Yeah great, it killed our single" and he said her face just fell....and he was like, Aw geez I didn't mean it to be mean, it was just the way it was. So yeah, I think they were miffed about it for a long while, but they laid the blame on Jimmy.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 07-01-2017 at 08:25 PM..