The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 PM

I really love the education Steve and Chili have given in this era....

I think this album does have a much better sound than BTM...
Old 05-08-2009, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Many Christine fans love Nights in Estoril and deem it one of her best. I myself love Hollywood.

I was looking for some more Another Link in the Chain information since yesterday. But this is all I could see on the internet.

http://www.drummerszone.com/bands/ba...c&bioLimit=all

In 1994, Fleetwood Mac recorded an album tentatively titled "Another Link In The Chain".Mick had assembled an entirely new lineup consisting of him and John McVie, Christine McVie, "Tango" vet Billy Burnette, "Zoo" vocalist Bekka Bramlett, and ex-Traffic guitarist Dave Mason. While waiting for their album to be released, Fleetwood Mac embarked on a World Tour, opening for Crosby, Stills and Nash. They also toured in 1995 on an entirely different bill with Orleans as the opening act , Pat Benatar, co-headlining with 70's power ballad pioneers REO Speedwagon.

In October 1995, almost an entire year after the album was initially recorded -- and after the tour had already ended -- , Warner Brothers finally released the Mac's new album, which was now called "Time". The album sold poorly and the tour didn't fare much better. After all, it's hard to sell tickets for a tour when you're given no album to promote, have no support from your label, and have an essentially brand new lineup of a legendary band to push. Bandmember frustration ensued and yet another incarnation of Fleetwood Mac would enter the annals of Mac recording history.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
But if you only liked Stevie Nicks why would you look at it? I wouldn't berate a Peter Green fan for not being interested in picking up Rumours (and believe me I've met plenty who feel that way).
Again, straw man. I said "Look at how many people just on this board have dismissed Time altogether because Stevie, Lindsey, and Christine are not on it, when we know that's not entirely true." It should be painfully clear that what I was saying is that we know that there was at least ONE vocalist from the Rumours band on Time, and that THAT FACT has gotten screwed up over the years. I even went on to clarify it to say "people on here who didn't even look at the album because they thought it didn't have any of the Rumours-era vocalists on it."

Nowhere did I berate anybody in this thread for their OPINIONS of Time, nor did I berate anybody for not buying the album because Stevie Nicks was not on it. We all have our own individual tastes in music.

What I AM saying is that, through the years, people have posted that they never bought Time because they thought the only people from the Rumours-era that were on the thing were just Mick and John, and were surprised to learn that Christine McVie was also on the record and had a significant number of songs. I also remember a few of these folks buying the album after learning this.

I understand that people want to have something that is familiar. They didn't think that there would be anything familiar with Time, and then learned that there was something in fact familiar with Time.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 05-08-2009 at 05:10 PM..
Old 05-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I really love the education Steve and Chili have given in this era....

I think this album does have a much better sound than BTM...
Richard Dashut gets Fleetwood Mac!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember being startled to find out Time existed, probably almost two years after it's release, so I can believe there was no label promotion of it, it just silently started turning up in some overstock catalogs and lists. I like early Dave Mason a lot and am sorry to read about him being abrasive or whatnot, I will still try to enjoy the music. It sounds like he and Mick should've done some kind of project on their own without Christine or the Mac title to it, that may even have been more commercial like those Plant/Page releases that did quite well without a Led Zeppelin name.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I remember being startled to find out Time existed, probably almost two years after it's release, so I can believe there was no label promotion of it, it just silently started turning up in some overstock catalogs and lists.
I can't remember how I spotted it. I guess I saw it in the Fleetwood Mac bin at the record store in 1995. There was no mention of an album at the band's concert in 1994 I attended, & I wasn't really a keen fan scoping out the magazines & newspapers at that point anyway. My senses had been dulled by the poor performances on the tail end of the 1990 tour, the 1991 solo tour, & even the 1993 TV appearance. It wasn't until I went to the Arco Arena show on the STREET ANGEL tour that I felt rejuvenated enough to seek out other fans again to see what they were up to. Mick also did some interesting things around that time, like drum for the Big Town Playboys, a jump-jazz outfit from Britain. They even appeared with Mick on the Tonight Show.

Quote:
I like early Dave Mason a lot and am sorry to read about him being abrasive or whatnot, I will still try to enjoy the music. It sounds like he and Mick should've done some kind of project on their own without Christine or the Mac title to it, that may even have been more commercial like those Plant/Page releases that did quite well without a Led Zeppelin name.
I've never seen anyone more unconnected to & uninterested in what was happening onstage -- not even Stevie on the 1990 tour -- than Dave Mason in the gigs he did with Fleetwood Mac that I caught in '94 & '95. When the band would launch itself into a Mac classic, like "The Chain" or "Go Your Own Way," the look of disgusted boredom on Mason's face was palpable. He was a total turnoff. Billy Burnette & Bekka Bramlett were game, & tried their best to reinject energy, but the whole effect on me was of seeing an FM cover band in which certain members were only waiting for the check from the house.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't see the 'Time' tour, but I did see Dave Mason in concert once. It was in the late '70s and he was on a double bill with Bob Welch. My purpose in going to the concert was to see Bob, who was the opener but played a full set and was excellent (and sharply dressed!). He was promoting 'French Kiss' as a I recall. I particularly remember his version of "Bermuda Triangle" in that concert. It's the only time I've seen Bob perform.

I did stay for the Dave Mason set and I remember thinking he was okay but nothing much compared to Bob.

So ironically I wound up seeing a past and future Fleetwood Mac member on the same night.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yay, I like that pic! Anyways, I posted the audio from Another Link in the Chain a little while ago, so here are some .mp3 files:

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...ght=link+chain

I believe there is a DVD too...?

Would it last forever? You and I together, hand in hand
we run away♥
Old 05-10-2009, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw one Time show and one Shake The Cage show. I've seen at least one (and usually many more) of ever other FM, Stevie and Lindsey show, but I did not see one of Christine's. That was a horrendous call on my part. That same year, I saw the Jacksons' Victory tour 11 times. That is something I would definitely do differently. I was in Michigan and Christine didn't come there. But she did come to Chicago and if I had it to do over again, I'd go see her there.

It's not that I didn't thorougly love Christine and completely support the album and call into radio stations to request Got A Hold On Me, because I did. Oh, well.

I got the Time album when it was released, but I also remember ordering a second one from one of those clubs. You know, like Columbia House record club? You send a penny and you get 12 cds and then you have to buy more over the next year? Well, I remember doing that and one of my selections was Time.

Michele