The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And Jay-Z and Rage Against the Machine are ahead of Billy Joel, Peter Gabriel, Tom Petty, Genesis and KISS. This is one f***ed up list.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
And Jay-Z and Rage Against the Machine are ahead of Billy Joel, Peter Gabriel, Tom Petty, Genesis and KISS. This is one f***ed up list.
They said when they did this list originally in 1998, no rap/hip-hop artist were on the list; this year the list has 10. The host made a point of mentioning that.

One problem with this type of list is that they are so broad. 100 Greatest Artists of All Time - I mean that's a very wide range of music genres spanning multiple decades. Not to mention country music is seriously underrepresented.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
They said when they did this list originally in 1998, no rap/hip-hop artist were on the list; this year the list has 10. The host made a point of mentioning that.

One problem with this type of list is that they are so broad. 100 Greatest Artists of All Time - I mean that's a very wide range of music genres spanning multiple decades. Not to mention country music is seriously underrepresented.
Well, that just goes further to prove that this list has no merit. Maybe there were no rap/hip-hop artists on the list in 1998 because there weren't any that were good enough to merit inclusion. Obviously I am no fan of rap "music." But if I had to think back on those artists who were truly important and influential in their respective genres, for rap I would list the Sugar Hill Gang, Run DMC, Salt n Pepa and, begrudgingly, LL Cool J, but I wouldn't put them at the higher rungs of the list arbitrarily. Jay Z is a f***ing joke; I would take Sir Mix-a-lot more seriously. "Greatness" is earned. It's not a title to be bestowed based upon a grading curve, or in this particular case, affirmative action. Yes, I said it. There has always been this bizarre stench of w***e guilt on the pages of Rolling Stone that I could never quite understand. Rather than being intellectually honest, they really want us all to believe that this (c)rap is actually great music on par with the likes of Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac.

I also think the inclusion of Paul McCartney as a solo artist is interesting. There is no question that he did extraordinary things with the Beatles and Wings. But as a solo artist? I think Eric Clapton had a much more significant solo career and he isn't even on the list! And although I am biased, I also think Stevie Nicks had a much more significant solo career as well. She may not have had as many solo albums or hit singles, but her influence as a woman singer/songwriter in rock music is undeniable.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, that just goes further to prove that this list has no merit. Maybe there were no rap/hip-hop artists on the list in 1998 because there weren't any that were good enough to merit inclusion. Obviously I am no fan of rap "music." But if I had to think back on those artists who were truly important and influential in their respective genres, for rap I would list the Sugar Hill Gang, Run DMC, Salt n Pepa and, begrudgingly, LL Cool J, but I wouldn't put them at the higher rungs of the list arbitrarily. Jay Z is a f***ing joke; I would take Sir Mix-a-lot more seriously. "Greatness" is earned. It's not a title to be bestowed based upon a grading curve, or in this particular case, affirmative action. Yes, I said it. There has always been this bizarre stench of w***e guilt on the pages of Rolling Stone that I could never quite understand. Rather than being intellectually honest, they really want us all to believe that this (c)rap is actually great music on par with the likes of Michael Jackson, Led Zeppelin and Fleetwood Mac.

I also think the inclusion of Paul McCartney as a solo artist is interesting. There is no question that he did extraordinary things with the Beatles and Wings. But as a solo artist? I think Eric Clapton had a much more significant solo career and he isn't even on the list! And although I am biased, I also think Stevie Nicks had a much more significant solo career as well. She may not have had as many solo albums or hit singles, but her influence as a woman singer/songwriter in rock music is undeniable.
To me, Tupac was the only true great rap artist. There will never be another like him, the rest is fun noise about material things. His lyrics are incredible, and he actually had a message. Jay-Z is most definitely a joke. As is this list.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agreed with about half of the list in total. I think Fleetwood Mac was actually higher on the list than I expected them to be but again, all in all, I agreed with about half of it. Some of it was total rubbish though.

-- Also, Eminem should have been a lot higher. Sure, he has a lot of retarded songs, but he is still one of the only true rap geniuses out there and most of his songs have so much meaning behind them instead of, say, Flo Rida who can only rap about being in a club... *rolls eyes*
Old 09-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Beach Boys are number 15!

The Eagles aren't on this list?
Old 09-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well this time this isn't the 100 gr. of RNR so all the rap artists are voting for their friends because it's the 100 gr. of ALL TIME. I think it's stupid too. These so called artists rated Springsteen at 21 and he didn't even make the top 20. And the only reason that Michael Jackson was #2 was because he died. He would've deffinatley have made the top 20 no doubt if he were alive. But because someone dies they feel they need them to be higher up. Sorry but that's how I feel. I love Michael very much don't get me wrong, but if he were alive he wouldn't have agreed with that list at all. The Stones at number 4 and Pearl Jam at number 93?!!! You put Nirvana (one of my faves) in at #14 but you put Pearl Jam at 93???!! Get Serious!!!!!!! These artists that voted I am very disapointed in them hell The Eagles, and Melissa Etheridge, Eric Clapton, The Kinks weren't even on that list. I will add this I like Sheryl Crows music. She is a wonderful producer and musician and songwriter I would've expected to see her on there somewhere too. I guess she hasn't influenced that many people out there eh? I like her anyway.

Last edited by bellagypsy79; 09-10-2010 at 02:35 PM..
Old 09-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
WHAT?!? Stevie Nicks? More significant solo career than Paul McCartney??

Yeah, Clapton as a solo artist is a miscarriage of justice being left off the list, but even HE isn't "more significant" than Paul McCartney.

Quote:
Beach Boys are number 15!

The Eagles aren't on this list?
Yeah, so? The Beach Boys (read: Brian Wilson) were a ground breaking band (in its day). The Eagles? Notsomuch. There were a few "country rock" bands who were much more groundbreaking than they were (Poco, Flying Burrito Bros, even Buffalo Springfield, The Byrds & CSNY)...they just sold more records is all, nothing they did was actually "original".

Artists definitely conspicuous by their absence:

Allman Bros Band (Lynyrd Skynyrd MADE the list and "the Brothers" didn't? Pffft...bogus list right there. Without the Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd never would've existed.)
Leon Russell (even if he never made his own albums, he contributed enough via songwriting and session work to make the list...and why isn't he in the R&RHoF??? Oh yeah, Jann Wenner is the world's biggest TOOL, that's why.
Buddy Holly...there's not enough room here to even get into why he SHOULD be on this list
Bobby Darin....ditto.

Last edited by chiliD; 09-10-2010 at 02:33 PM..
Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagypsy79 View Post
The Kinks weren't even on that list..
Yes, they were #39 (2 places behind FMac). But, The Yardbirds, weren't (a band that spawned Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page AND Jeff Beck not "greatest" enough for inclusion?)
Old 09-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmpf. Look at all those Rap artists. Where would they be without Blondie I wonder.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 09-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well "Groundbreaking" is one way of looking at the list. Of course the main word in the title of the list is "Greatest" which can mean of number of things to a number of people.

Michael Jackson was #40 when VH1 did this list back in 1998. This year he's #2. So between 1998 and 2009, Michael became even greater?

Vh1 said they surveyed nearly 200 artists to compile this list. Assuming they surveyed a wide variety of artists from multiple genres and ages, this list really isn't that bad.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:59 PM
bellagypsy79
This message has been deleted by bellagypsy79. Reason: messed up
Old 09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's what you missed, bellagypsy79.

Quote:
Well FM was #37. They showed I guess the "Rosebud" version of Go Your Own way, heard Landslide and they showed a bit of "The Chain" from The Dance. Kelly Rowland talked abit about Stevie's unique voice, and somebody else talked about the whole "soap opera" aspect of the band and of the Rumours album. That's about it... oh yea and they interviewed Sheryl Crow!

Stevie was the only member mentioned by name. They didn't really spend that much time on them. Sly and the family stone were 38 and seemed to be spotlighted more.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Yes, they were #39 (2 places behind FMac). But, The Yardbirds, weren't (a band that spawned Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page AND Jeff Beck not "greatest" enough for inclusion?)
Sorry that must've been when I changed channels. That's why I thought Mac wasn't on the list until I read the posts now. That's when I realized who else did I miss, and The Kinks were one of them. Thank you for letting me know. LOL!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Does anyone know of anywhere I can watch this online? I'm curious to see it but don't have cable. Hoping they'll put it on their website soon enough.

And obviously the list is all sorts of messed up. It's the first piece of music programming they've done in awhile! Obviously, they're going to cater to their demographic by including artists they consider more "relevant" so that people will actually watch, even if it's not close to the list many others would make. Even their Top 100s of other things are usually kind of skewed, but they're all still interesting to watch.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm really shocked VH1 still cares about music.if they can dump all that reality crap that people love watching and come back to their namesake Video Hits One .maybe I will tune in.It's sad to see FM slide down the list .
I'm glad to see none of the current crap artists are not on top.Oh Where's Stevie Nicks.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016