The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

Lightbulb To anyone not that familiar with the pre-Buckingham Nicks albums...

To anyone not that familiar with the pre-Buckingham Nicks albums... I have a suggestion.

After the disappointment of the last year, I have found myself gravitating to the pre-BN albums, particularly the transitional era. They are soothing my soul, and providing all kinds of musical delights. They are GOOD.

Perhaps it is the lack of Stevie (whom I am very disappointed in right now and cannot listen to at all, like many of you) or the lack of LB (it's hard to hear his FM work now), but in any case: I'm hearing these LPs again with new ears and it's like having BRAND NEW FLEETWOOD ALBUMS TO ENJOY. Untainted by the BN melodrama... just really solid, groovin' rock n roll.

As usual, Christine has so many gems... Bob Welch's work is outstanding and underrated (that man should be in the RRHOF with them). I'm not as familiar with the PG era, but obviously it is legendary in its own right, the birth of the band. I'm working my way backwards, giving each album plenty of time to marinate. Haven't heard them in ages and back then I was so into BN that I didn't really give the early LPs much time/attention. Well, now I have plenty of time. Ha.

So again, for any of you feeling like I do, really disillusioned after 2018 but who still love the vibe of the Mac and find it hard to let go (or who crave "new" FM music), I highly recommend checking these out. It's also therapeutic to remember that this band has had SO MANY incarnations and that no one person is the lynchpin (though my vote would be for Christine if I had to cast that vote).

PS - Sorry to state the obvious for all of you who already know this!
Old 08-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't listened to any of these studio albums (except Then Play On and In Chicago), so it's just about all new to me.

I'm impressed with Christine's keyboards on "Homeward Bound."

Last edited by cbBen; 08-14-2019 at 09:00 PM..
Old 08-15-2019, 10:44 AM

I love pre B/N albums.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminol View Post
To anyone not that familiar with the pre-Buckingham Nicks albums... I have a suggestion.

After the disappointment of the last year, I have found myself gravitating to the pre-BN albums, particularly the transitional era. They are soothing my soul, and providing all kinds of musical delights. They are GOOD.

Perhaps it is the lack of Stevie (whom I am very disappointed in right now and cannot listen to at all, like many of you) or the lack of LB (it's hard to hear his FM work now), but in any case: I'm hearing these LPs again with new ears and it's like having BRAND NEW FLEETWOOD ALBUMS TO ENJOY. Untainted by the BN melodrama... just really solid, groovin' rock n roll.

As usual, Christine has so many gems... Bob Welch's work is outstanding and underrated (that man should be in the RRHOF with them). I'm not as familiar with the PG era, but obviously it is legendary in its own right, the birth of the band. I'm working my way backwards, giving each album plenty of time to marinate. Haven't heard them in ages and back then I was so into BN that I didn't really give the early LPs much time/attention. Well, now I have plenty of time. Ha.

So again, for any of you feeling like I do, really disillusioned after 2018 but who still love the vibe of the Mac and find it hard to let go (or who crave "new" FM music), I highly recommend checking these out. It's also therapeutic to remember that this band has had SO MANY incarnations and that no one person is the lynchpin (though my vote would be for Christine if I had to cast that vote).

PS - Sorry to state the obvious for all of you who already know this!
My favourites: Then Play on, Bare Trees, Mystery to Me
Songs: Coming Your Way, Oh Well, The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Prong Crown), Bare Trees, Homeward Bound, Emerald Eyes, Believe Me, Sentimental Lady
Old 08-19-2019, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still do love all The Fleetwood Mac albums and versions of the band. I hate what went on in recent events but again....no new music with this band speaks volumes. Yes, the pre Buck/Nicks albums have recently pricked up my ears a bit.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I still do love all The Fleetwood Mac albums and versions of the band.
Me, too. But I wish Dashut-Caillat had produced or engineered them. The sonics are their weakness - that and the unwillingness to edit songs down. Even the best moments on these albums are compromised by anticlimactic fades or repeats (for example, Sands of Time and Hypnotized).

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-24-2019, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just finished listening to them all.

Question: Jeremy is said to contribute no guitar to Then Play On. But is that not his slide on "Showbiz Blues" (1:40-2:10, 3:17-3:47)? Maybe it's Peter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGY3...g&index=6&t=0s

Last edited by cbBen; 08-24-2019 at 01:00 PM..
Old 10-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Just finished listening to them all.

Question: Jeremy is said to contribute no guitar to Then Play On. But is that not his slide on "Showbiz Blues" (1:40-2:10, 3:17-3:47)? Maybe it's Peter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGY3...g&index=6&t=0s
It's Peter alright, his style of playing is very different from Jeremy's. Jeremy only plays on one track: Oh Well pt 2, on which he plays piano. The idea was to give Jeremy his own showcase: an EP of 5 songs, recorded in December 1968 but not released until 1998 on The Vaudeville Years 2 CD set.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminol View Post

After the disappointment of the last year, I have found myself gravitating to the pre-BN albums, particularly the transitional era.
Mick, John, and Christine are still there and they actually played “Tell Me All The Things You Do” and “Hypnotized” on the tour…Exactly why 1998-2013 was disappointing and this change wasn’t, especially considering who they brought in.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-07-2019, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert13 View Post
It's Peter alright, his style of playing is very different from Jeremy's. Jeremy only plays on one track: Oh Well pt 2, on which he plays piano. The idea was to give Jeremy his own showcase: an EP of 5 songs, recorded in December 1968 but not released until 1998 on The Vaudeville Years 2 CD set.
Yes. Peter's slide is vastly different than Jeremy's. And Bob Weston's is vastly different than either of them...