Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden

"Dreams reoccur in my solitude
Breaking my heart
Injuring my mood
With all of the things that I thought I knew
It was you"

Great general verse about the pain of unrequited love, IMO. As a homosexual, I never tire of that theme.

"Well, I remember
You caught my eye
It was late September
It was no surprise
He made me better
His songs were soft and tender sometimes"

This really had an effect on me the first time I heard it. It reminds me of someone I fell for in late September. Too perfect. Also the fact that the person is sometimes soft and tender and sometimes not. :shrug;

"Well the conversations ring in my head
I remember everything that we said
All those tears that we shed"

Nice little universal part about love gone wrong.

"The conversations ring in my head
I remember everything that we said
All those tears that we shed
Don't call me when you're lonely"

I love the addition of the last line. "I remember how heart wrenching it was and I won't forget, so when you decide one night that you're not actually better off alone, please don't call me." (Sorry, that brought back memories).

"Well once more I tell the shadows of my soul
To stay back
Everything has changed now
And I don't want to go back
And nothing you can say can change my mind"

OMG. Oh how I love that. Do I even need to comment on it?

I still think of the whole songwriting thing as an analogy, like you depend upon someone who means the world to you to write your song, or to determine where your life is going and what you do and feel. Then you realize you can write your own song and don't need him or her. That is very liberating. And I really didn't think my interpretation was a stretch. I like it when it's an analogy instead of someone just telling it like it is. That's one of the big reasons I love her songs, though I know this is not one of the best.

Anyway, I know I've said all this before and nothing I can say is going to make you like that song. It's okay, I just felt like typing.

(Sorry that I did all this in poor Christine's forum. Shall I get into "Only Over You" and "I Do"--totally underrated Christine songs, IMO? Well, I just love those. I have a personal thing with them as well).
I'm glad it does so much for you. I do like the last verse, though. But I enjoy I Miss You quite a bit, so...

Old 03-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
But I enjoy I Miss You quite a bit, so...

Old 03-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

If it's any consolation, I think the "Paris to London, London to Paris" parts are incredibly bad.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
You know you love me right now. Go ahead and say it. Pay me my first compliment...
I won't deny they were clever...and true.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
You know you love me right now. Go ahead and say it. Pay me my first compliment...
Ahem...still waiting...forever, probably...
dubyadubyadubya.itwillneverhappenAmber.Disstomean.bitchycakes.yousuck.com

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 03-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If it's any consolation, I think the "Paris to London, London to Paris" parts are incredibly bad.
I think the way the words are put with the melody is the worst thing to me. I don't think it works, but I know, I know--this falls on deaf ears because most Stevie fans like it. I'll stop.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I won't deny they were clever...and true.
Almost...but not quite something complimentary...
www.bestIcanhopefor.ohwell/yourloss.com

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 03-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
It shows how hugely important she was to Fleetwood Mac over the years. When 1/3 of the rhythm section and 1/3 of the frontline of the band is gone, there's going to be a big, gaping hole. Obviously alot of other people have noticed this too. I also respect those Peter Green fans who pine away for that era too. Something tells me you wouldn't feel the same way if it had been Stevie Nicks who left Fleetwood Mac instead of Christine.

Hmm..you make a good point. I agree...Christine played an extremely vital role in the successful chemistry of Fleetwood Mac. I am sad that one of the five "Fireflies" is gone. Yes, I would be equally sad if Stevie or any other member, for that matter, left. Lindsey's initial defection was a real stunner. The band changed drastically...and not necessarily for the better. My first reaction was "Why?" I didn't long for his return....I never expected it. I respected his reasons for leaving.

I guess the critical point I'm making is...Acceptance. Change happens, especially for this band. For the fact that they did stay together as long as they did, broke up, and then reformed for one last hurrah, The Dance, I'm very grateful. Let's face it, the odds were against them from the Rumours era onward.

Yes, the band is not the same as it was. It is what it is now. (I don't compare one version of the band to another). And I'm glad that Christine, at this point in her life, has chosen the life she wants to live...not the life we want her to have.

I don't want to turn this into a debate. That would be ridiculous. It's just my perception of things.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-19-2005 at 12:07 AM..
Old 03-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Great site! When I clicked on it, I got that site that you always get whenever you reach a site that doesn't really exist. Wait, that makes no sense. I gotta go easier on the Sangria.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the way the words are put with the melody is the worst thing to me. I don't think it works, but I know, I know--this falls on deaf ears because most Stevie fans like it. I'll stop.
Well, she's never been at master at putting words to music. Just look at Ghosts, my word. Or The Nightmare.

My only problem with an otherwise enjoyable song is that it seems as if she thumbed through The Book of Romantic Cliches and lifted lines straight from it. Some of the lyrics are mind-numbingly awful.

And you don't have to stop, I never do.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My only problem with an otherwise enjoyable song is that it seems as if she thumbed through The Book of Romantic Cliches and lifted lines straight from it. Some of the lyrics are mind-numbingly awful.
Aside from the kinda harsh last line there ( ), I think that could be said for every member of FM, really. They've all written some cliche stuff that was just borrowed from other stuff, for lack of a better way to say it. See, I can't do anything eloquent or original, either!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, she's never been at master at putting words to music. Just look at Ghosts, my word. Or The Nightmare.
Okay, we won't talk about those . But I think she's done a splendid job with putting words to music in the past.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The links you've been providing throughout the night have acted as revelations. I click them and suddenly, without any warning, it is revealed that my taste is not good; that I've been praising and adoring utter excrement for years. Thank you, Amber, for I will never be able to repay you for the things you've taught me tonight. If I was groveler, I would be groveling right now. Take solace in that, my friend. I will now put I Sing For the Things on repeat and take off my cape for you.

How's that?

Old 03-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

And you don't have to stop, I never do.
I like Ghosts, because I understand the phrase "it's just a ghost of what you used to be" and all the other phrases like that. Mostly, though, I don't care about the lyrics, I just look for the notes I like, and I almost always like stevie's voice quality *addicted*. In reality, I think many, many, of her lyrics are really bad... (there, I admitted it) but I also think she has really bad lyrics interspersed with good in the same song...that's why I ignore the lyrics and just glean the music (band, production) and THE VOICE. To be a stevie fan, I think that's what you have to do...

Old 03-18-2005, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Aside from the kinda harsh last line there ( )
I call it as I see it, after all. Writing a romance song and throwing Paris and London into the mix couldn't be any more cliched if she tried. No one must agree (though it would be nice).

Quote:
I think that could be said for every member of FM, really. They've all written some cliche stuff that was just borrowed from other stuff, for lack of a better way to say it. See, I can't do anything eloquent or original, either!
Oh, definitely. Sometimes they've made cliches fresh, sometimes not. Chris and Stevie are the biggest offenders, but I, unfortunately, can't get to them in time.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:58 PM
amber
This message has been deleted by amber.