Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default off hand reference to a Stevie song in a new Scissor Sisters song a

The new Scissor Sisters album came out a few days ago. I caught this reference in a song 'Whole New Way':

It gets lonesome in the darkness
Even when I dance at Partners
With the DJ playing 'Leather and Lace.'
Old 07-03-2010, 03:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I got the SS album, but didn't listen yet because I wanted my partner (who loves them) to hear it with me the first time on the way to the beach this morning. When I read this post, I got the chills ... corny, I know! But I am thrilled
Old 07-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Ledgie

My favorite song on their new disc.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by keineg View Post
My favorite song on their new disc.
Agreed, this song is funky & great, and I love the "leather and lace" mention. The whole cd is great. good to see this band emerge with a strong effort after the somewhat disappointing 2nd release. They are so fun to see live!
Old 07-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I foolishly bought this album on it's release and it is horrifically bad. Jesus they are an overrated band. Not even Stuart Price's brilliance could rescue this dog.
Old 07-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ooh, I'll have to get this album now. I already like the Scissor Sisters, although, I only really love Filthy/Gorgeous, ahaha. My mum LOVES them though.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Love it! Fire With Fire, although it sounds NOTHING like SS, is my favorite track...but I like the whole thing...Whole New Thing, of course, gets special pride of place!
Old 07-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I foolishly bought this album on it's release and it is horrifically bad. Jesus they are an overrated band. Not even Stuart Price's brilliance could rescue this dog.
Your opinion. Not everyone's cup of tea. They certainly are a polarizing band - you either truly love them or hate them with a vengence! I love them (with a vengence)! I was very excited to get their new album -- it's great!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

PenguinHead, yes I agree that we all have different tastes, but I was actually looking forward to hearing "Nightwork" because I had liked a few of their eariler tracks (I have the first two albums) and was impressed with the lead single "Fire With Fire" (even though it's not the masterstroke the group claim it to be and it is terribly similar to the Stuart Price produced "Human" by the infinitely superior The Killers). However, I can honestly say that there was absolutely nothing else on the album that I even found listenable, let alone worthwhile. It just seems to be an exercise in cheap smut and double entendres that are frankly foolish and embarrassing.
Shears also needs to reign that awful falsetto in and pursue the lower register of his voice more often - it works really well on "Fire". Oh and the purported Kylie duet (I can't even hear her) "Any Which Way" is utterly bland and a complete waste of time.
I just think that the group and particularly Jake Shears, are completely overrated in every sense. They are an average disco band that occasionally strike it lucky with the odd track, usually presented as a single to lure the uninformed in. Shears' supposed songwriting prowess is a nonsense - just look at his contribution to Kylie Minogue's latest album, "Too Much", clearly the most wretched song on show (I can't believe Calvis Harris was involved in this atrocity - most disappointing).
I can't help but think that their overtly pink image has had a lot to do with the group's rise to fame and that it has garnered support from the gay community, regardless of their abilities. I also think this is true of the marginally talented Rufus Wainwright, but that's a whole other story!
Old 07-06-2010, 04:28 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
PenguinHead, yes I agree that we all have different tastes, but I was actually looking forward to hearing "Nightwork" because I had liked a few of their eariler tracks (I have the first two albums) and was impressed with the lead single "Fire With Fire" (even though it's not the masterstroke the group claim it to be and it is terribly similar to the Stuart Price produced "Human" by the infinitely superior The Killers). However, I can honestly say that there was absolutely nothing else on the album that I even found listenable, let alone worthwhile. It just seems to be an exercise in cheap smut and double entendres that are frankly foolish and embarrassing.
Shears also needs to reign that awful falsetto in and pursue the lower register of his voice more often - it works really well on "Fire". Oh and the purported Kylie duet (I can't even hear her) "Any Which Way" is utterly bland and a complete waste of time.
I just think that the group and particularly Jake Shears, are completely overrated in every sense. They are an average disco band that occasionally strike it lucky with the odd track, usually presented as a single to lure the uninformed in. Shears' supposed songwriting prowess is a nonsense - just look at his contribution to Kylie Minogue's latest album, "Too Much", clearly the most wretched song on show (I can't believe Calvis Harris was involved in this atrocity - most disappointing).
I can't help but think that their overtly pink image has had a lot to do with the group's rise to fame and that it has garnered support from the gay community, regardless of their abilities. I also think this is true of the marginally talented Rufus Wainwright, but that's a whole other story!

Is Any Which Way a duet with Kylie? I just thought it happened to be the song she joined them for during their glastonbury performance. Kylie certainly isnt audible on the album version (but then I wasn't listening out for her).

For the record I own both the new SS album and the new Kylie album, I like them both but prefer Night Work. And just to go off topic even further, I just bought the new album by Sia. Now that is brilliant.

I only noticed the Leather and Lace reference this morning whilst on my way to work, driving through the pouring rain and feeling jet lagged. Hearing it did brighten my day up slightly. Simple pleasures!
Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I also think this is true of the marginally talented Rufus Wainwright, but that's a whole other story!
Off topic but I agree, even though I think 'marginally' is an overstatement. I've never understood how someone so, um, monotone can be so loved by so many. He sings with no feeling, no passion, no emotion, - not even inflection!

On topic, I heard the Scissor Sisters album yesterday for the first time in the car coming home from a road trip, and it wasn't bad but I don't think it was great either. Good background music I suppose.